British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Citizenship Application Timeline (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/citizenship-application-timeline-884075/)

umpalumpa Oct 1st 2016 3:26 pm

Citizenship Application Timeline

thought I would post on here to give some people feedback on our application for Citizenship and the timelines involved.

We are Permanent Residents and had what i would describe as a very straight forward citizenship application i.e. no convictions, separations or complications - I sent our application for citizenship on 7 July 2016. We had our acknowledgement of receipt on 8 August 2016! Then on 24 August we had a notice to come and take our citizenship test, which we took on 9 Sept and passed! Now we have just today received our date to take our oath on 11 Nov!

After our journey started back in 2007 when we were sat on our sofa in England talking about wanting to move to Canada here we are now about to become citizens of this fantastic country. Its been a journey - one that we could not have gotten through without the awesome support and guidance of many of the British Expat forum community. Thanks to you all. :eek::eek:

donnadooverylittle Oct 1st 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Citizenship Application Timeline

fantastic!!!

tiptreejam Oct 3rd 2016 2:30 am

We also just completed our citizenship application. We were pleasantly surprised how quickly the process went. Ours were a family application which CIC received July 7, 2016. We did our test Sept 8 and we had our Oath ceremony Sept 30. On the way out after the ceremony we picked up our passport applications :-)

umpalumpa Oct 8th 2016 1:39 pm

Sweet - congrats tiptreejam :)

dgagitw Oct 11th 2016 1:26 am

Congrats, that was fast! When I did it, the waiting time was just over a year.

Stinkypup Nov 4th 2016 12:32 am

Eldest pup at Uni in Victoria had his Citizenship Ceremony today accompanied by his proud mum Snoopdawg- she was proudly watching on. Really happy for him

He seems very content with life here in Canada which makes it all worthwhile IMO :thumbsup:

Can't remember how long it took.... ages :thumbdown:

nikki dreaming Nov 4th 2016 9:16 pm

We applied beginning of June, test September 7, ceremony November 10 in Halifax, looking forward to becoming a Canadian Citizen, a journey that started out 8 years ago is coming to an end :thumbsup:

Collie Nov 21st 2016 7:51 pm

Oh brilliant - we sent our (equally straightforward) application off in early November, so aree now crossing fingers, toes etc. that ours will be as quick!

MillieF Nov 23rd 2016 12:45 pm

Oh heavens this is quick....I'd been thinking it might be a year or so. I sent it off recently and they have acknowledged receipt. What if I can't pass the test :eek: I've gone into instant panic mode:blink:

Congratulations to you all by the way:thumbup:

nikki dreaming Nov 23rd 2016 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12112573)
Oh heavens this is quick....I'd been thinking it might be a year or so. I sent it off recently and they have acknowledged receipt. What if I can't pass the test :eek: I've gone into instant panic mode:blink:

Congratulations to you all by the way:thumbup:

Tks! We found this site really useful for practicing the test😊

http://citizenshipcounts.ca/quiz

Collie Nov 29th 2016 9:19 pm

A quick update re. timelines: posted citizenship forms on 11 November, and IRCC acknowledged receipt on 29 November! So the queue really does to be short at the moment.

Vulcanoid Dec 2nd 2016 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming (Post 12112627)
Tks! We found this site really useful for practicing the test😊

Online Canadian Citizenship Quiz - CitizenshipCounts.ca

It's worrying that they're providing false information - wonder if CIC's real tests are also wrong on politics issues.

According to that test, the PM is not chosen by the monarch, they lead the largest party (whilst the latter of these is typically how the monarch/GG chooses, they can choose anyone who commands the confidence of the House), and the "Liberal Party" run BC (which may surprise both Liberal Party of Canada, who don't run in BC, and BC Liberals, affiliated with Conservative Party of Canada, who strongly believe they're running the show).

Shirtback Dec 3rd 2016 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12120137)
It's worrying that they're providing false information - wonder if CIC's real tests are also wrong on politics issues.

According to that test, the PM is not chosen by the monarch, they lead the largest party (whilst the latter of these is typically how the monarch/GG chooses, they can choose anyone who commands the confidence of the House), and the "Liberal Party" run BC (which may surprise both Liberal Party of Canada, who don't run in BC, and BC Liberals, affiliated with Conservative Party of Canada, who strongly believe they're running the show).

Perhaps you'd prefer this one? Which gives links to the booklet given to citizenship applicants to study for the test:
Canadian Citizenship Practice Test - Richmond Public Library

Vulcanoid Dec 3rd 2016 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12120390)
Perhaps you'd prefer this one? Which gives links to the booklet given to citizenship applicants to study for the test:
Canadian Citizenship Practice Test - Richmond Public Library

Erm, well that confirms that CIC are training people with a popular, albeit wrong, vision of Parliamentary democracy :( (it's in there too). The Governor General's website does at least convey the accurate info, where they must decide who can command the House (The Swearing-In of a New Ministry).

The real reason that's a problem is that it makes no practical difference, so long as a party has indeed won a majority of MPs. Their leader is the only one who can command the confidence of the House, so of course they are chosen (but by the GG, not by winning the seats). It's a perfectly reasonable pretence when times are good and clear. In a hung Parliament, the GG potentially has to navigate treacherous waters, and that's when it's important that the populace know what's going on - because anyone who believes getting more MPs than anyone else automatically makes a person PM is potentially going to get a very rude awakening.

EDIT
No! Wait! All is good! CIC's actual doc gets it right! :D

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/discover.pdf

"Ordinarily, after an election, the leader of the political party with the most seats in the House of Commons is invited by the Governor General to form the government. After being appointed by the Governor General, the leader of this party becomes the Prime Minister"

That's reassuring :) The library & online resources suck, but at least the federal apparatus knows how it comes about.

dazaman Dec 29th 2016 7:56 pm

Hey guys.
I just got my Application for citizenship sent back to me, because i did not send the correct proof of language, I sent a letter from my school in the uk, Stating that i attended school for 5 years, do i need to take a language test? I' as British as you get. Please help.
Thanks