First Update

Old May 19th 2013, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Update

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
I think it's probably because the need to be sure you're permanently resident in the UK, as once you apply to switch it over, they send the old one back to the country of origin (in my case Australia). So just like with everything else I think I have to show proof of address. I'll figure it all out before the 180 days is up that's for sure.. lol

It's your turn now windsong.

I just love it when I call the taxi company to arrange my morning pick up for work and I don't have to say anything...as soon as my name and number appear on their system the guy just says "usual time tomorrow darlin'"
If only!!! But I think it is quite a way away yet. In my case, I would be taking pets with me and that alone makes it much more difficult. Besides, at age 60 (even though I don't look anywhere near it), I think I would have a much more difficult time getting a job. Also, with pets I probably need to try to find a rental to move straight into and that is going to be SO difficult with no one to help in the UK.

I may have only now found a job. I have been doing temp work for the last month or so and it seems they may hire me directly after 90 days which means I might finally be able to begin to save for the move back.

I keep thinking that age 62 might be a good time to move - the time at which I am eligible to collect SS if I want to. I have a company pension, too, but I haven't elected to take it yet but I might at 62. I'd feel a lot safe if I have some sort of income when I finally enter the UK.
Old May 19th 2013, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
If only!!! But I think it is quite a way away yet. In my case, I would be taking pets with me and that alone makes it much more difficult. Besides, at age 60 (even though I don't look anywhere near it), I think I would have a much more difficult time getting a job. Also, with pets I probably need to try to find a rental to move straight into and that is going to be SO difficult with no one to help in the UK.

I may have only now found a job. I have been doing temp work for the last month or so and it seems they may hire me directly after 90 days which means I might finally be able to begin to save for the move back.

I keep thinking that age 62 might be a good time to move - the time at which I am eligible to collect SS if I want to. I have a company pension, too, but I haven't elected to take it yet but I might at 62. I'd feel a lot safe if I have some sort of income when I finally enter the UK.
for the job! That is great news! Maybe you will feel more secure to go home in a couple of years, and the economy should have picked up some by then.
Old May 20th 2013, 7:16 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong, all I would say is remember Trotty's story and Fish n' Chips and lots of others ... waiting for the right time often means you never get to leave.
Old May 20th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong

We were in similar boat, needing some self-reassurance that coming back wouldn't land us in hardship.
The trigger for our return was when both our jobs finished, and at same time we had assurance of both of age to receive some pension income if we needed it.
This sounds similar to your concerns.

How about this: set yourself a date of reaching 62 for your return and make all the plans as if it will happen. Set a schedule for pet vaccinations etc, look at options now for how to transport them, even get quotes. Choose where in UK you will start off in and contact rental agents etc.
Maybe you would be ready earlier, maybe later but you will be ready when the time comes.
Old May 20th 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Windsong, all I would say is remember Trotty's story and Fish n' Chips and lots of others ... waiting for the right time often means you never get to leave.
Originally Posted by J.JsOH
We were in similar boat, needing some self-reassurance that coming back wouldn't land us in hardship.
The trigger for our return was when both our jobs finished, and at same time we had assurance of both of age to receive some pension income if we needed it.
This sounds similar to your concerns.

How about this: set yourself a date of reaching 62 for your return and make all the plans as if it will happen. Set a schedule for pet vaccinations etc, look at options now for how to transport them, even get quotes. Choose where in UK you will start off in and contact rental agents etc.
Maybe you would be ready earlier, maybe later but you will be ready when the time comes.
Hi Louise and John. Yes, I can fully identify with this. Just last night I thought to myself, "If only I had made a decision to go back five years ago . . . ". That was before financial devastation hit and I would have been able to do it but at that time it was still a simple notion in my head and not a firm goal. Now, it's my main goal. As soon as I save money to move I will go. I am sinking over here. The potential job will bring me out of it - slowly.

Sixty-two isn't so far away - abut a year and three months. As it gets closer though, I feel "fear" - fear at making the move alone with no one over there. I know it's possible; it's just a lot more complicated trying to find a place to live with pets. It can be done, though - and money helps to resolve some of these issues.

I would like to work over there until I am 65 but I am not sure I would be able to find a job. I have many skills which will allow me to do freelance work if I can't find a job but even that takes time to grow into something worthwhile. I have as many skills here as the people in their 20s do because I have expanded my skills continuously over the years but when it comes to finding jobs, companies have this notion that the young know more. It's simply not true as the company I work in now (as a temp but very likely soon to be hired) has found out. Of course, potential employers don't know my age and I am told I look about 52 - but even if they assume I am 52, they still think it's old. Sometimes I think it is company management that is lacking in skills if they can't look further than age.

I realize I am also still coming to terms with a complete change in lifestyle over the last five years due to the economic collapse. When I return to the UK, I wonder if it will change (downwards) even more. This and the knowledge that I am probably too old to change it much can be depressing.

Rental properties cost almost as much as they do here, yet incomes are much less - and if I am on social security and pension, my income won't be that high - estimating $2000 a month. It would have been higher but unemployment here over the last few years will no doubt reduce the SS.

I was going to try to wait until I am 65 to take SS and pension but I don't think it is going to happen - and if taking it early means I can go home, then I will definitely do it.

I don't want to end up in a senior citizen high rise. It would kill me! I love my pets and I love nature and the countryside.

There's also the cost of getting settled over there, i.e. purchasing items needed to set up home. If I am on SS and pension, then I need to save for all of this, plus the move, before I go.

None of this makes me think twice about going home and I think some of these issues may simply be turning into fears because I am making the move alone - and perhaps because I am getting older. I also have a very analytical brain and I can analyze something into paralysis, so I need to be careful

John, you are right. I have this fear that I may not be able to survive comfortably over there. It may be irrational, I don't know. Your approach of taking the next year to prepare is a great one. It also gives life to my fears However, I know I want to go home and these fears, real or not, need to be dealt with. Fifteen months isn't so long and, you are right, it is time to start preparing I wish I could go tomorrow.

Last edited by windsong; May 20th 2013 at 11:08 pm.
Old May 22nd 2013, 6:16 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Updates

Wow, what a day!!!! This morning I went into Manchester for my NI interview. It was at the Job Centre Plus office in Rusholme. Not the best of areas, and one place I wouldn't like to be after dark. There may be nothing at all wrong with it, but I just felt uncomfortable all the time I was there. It's right near the University of Manchester, but that wasn't the issue. It was the fact that everywhere you looked there was an Arab restaurant, Indian restaurant, Greek, Polish, Hindu - you name it, it was there. Nothing British to be seen. I felt like the only white British woman for miles..lol. Not politically correct I know, but its the way I felt.

Anyway I digress - I went for the interview and got asked a LOT of questions. They wanted to basically know the name, date of birth, date of marriage, date of divorce for all my husbands (makes it sound like I'm Liz Taylor..lol - I've only been married 3 times..lol). But it all boils down to the fact that they said I won't have any problems getting my NI number because I'm a British Subject and have a British passport. This particular office only deals with NI number requests, so the entire office was filled with people who were attending an interview. Once again I was the only English speaking person there and there were a lot of translators and 'family' members who had offered the particular person a job. Hmmmmm !

But they now send all my details to head office in Glasgow..who have a more extensive computer system to check to see if my Mum claimed child benefits for me at any time before they emigrated to Australia, and to see if I was issued an NI number at that time. If not they'll allocate one for me and I should receive a letter within the next week or two.

Now for some exciting news...especially if you're a Dr Who fan like me!!!

Today while I was in Manchester I happened to start chatting to this guy who was working for the Red Cross and we got talking about Dr Who. It turns out he's the nephew of Christopher Eccelston who played the 9th Dr. I was gobsmacked because sure enough he did have the resemblance about him, but I didn't think anything of it, until he showed me his ID..roflmao. So he told me to add him on Facebook and he'd get Uncle Chris to send me an autographed photo. Oh to be a few...okay a LOT younger because he was just as cute as his Uncle...

I've just got my Dr's appointment tomorrow morning and then I'm working overtime on Friday and then off again on Saturday and start new shift on Sunday. I'm looking forward to the next shift because then I start on a Monday and finish on Thursday, so that means I get Friday, Sat, Sun and Mon off work. Might look into a day out somewhere and take my trusty camera.
Old May 22nd 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Updates

Wow, what a day!!!!

date of divorce for all my husbands (makes it sound like I'm Liz Taylor..lol - I've only been married 3 times..lol).

I've just got my Dr's appointment tomorrow morning and then I'm working overtime on Friday and then off again on Saturday and start new shift on Sunday. I'm looking forward to the next shift because then I start on a Monday and finish on Thursday, so that means I get Friday, Sat, Sun and Mon off work. Might look into a day out somewhere and take my trusty camera.
Only three divorces, thanks now I can keep track.
When do you get your first wages? I will be nice for you to have some slosh in your hand.
When can you start saving money by not having to take the taxi?
I hope the feet are OK by now.
Cheers
Old May 22nd 2013, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong, John is giving good advice here. All I can say is think of Linzi and what she was able to accomplish. It can be done! Chime in here, Linzi, but I think you did not go back with $2000 a month to fall back on either.

I would add one thing - have you thought about house sharing? Might be easier to find someone who already has pets and wouldn't mind yours; you would really only need to purchase personal items, as you would have a furnished room and fully furnished and equipped house; you wouldn't have to mess with council tax, utilities, setting up internet, etc., and it would be loads cheaper.

As for a job, apparently temp work is available and you already have the experience. Can you tell I am really rooting for you to go home?! I know you can do it
Old May 22nd 2013, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow, what a day!!!! This morning I went into Manchester for my NI interview. It was at the Job Centre Plus office in Rusholme. Not the best of areas, and one place I wouldn't like to be after dark. There may be nothing at all wrong with it, but I just felt uncomfortable all the time I was there. It's right near the University of Manchester, but that wasn't the issue. It was the fact that everywhere you looked there was an Arab restaurant, Indian restaurant, Greek, Polish, Hindu - you name it, it was there. Nothing British to be seen. I felt like the only white British woman for miles..lol. Not politically correct I know, but its the way I felt.

Anyway I digress - I went for the interview and got asked a LOT of questions. They wanted to basically know the name, date of birth, date of marriage, date of divorce for all my husbands (makes it sound like I'm Liz Taylor..lol - I've only been married 3 times..lol). But it all boils down to the fact that they said I won't have any problems getting my NI number because I'm a British Subject and have a British passport. This particular office only deals with NI number requests, so the entire office was filled with people who were attending an interview. Once again I was the only English speaking person there and there were a lot of translators and 'family' members who had offered the particular person a job. Hmmmmm !

But they now send all my details to head office in Glasgow..who have a more extensive computer system to check to see if my Mum claimed child benefits for me at any time before they emigrated to Australia, and to see if I was issued an NI number at that time. If not they'll allocate one for me and I should receive a letter within the next week or two.

Now for some exciting news...especially if you're a Dr Who fan like me!!!

Today while I was in Manchester I happened to start chatting to this guy who was working for the Red Cross and we got talking about Dr Who. It turns out he's the nephew of Christopher Eccelston who played the 9th Dr. I was gobsmacked because sure enough he did have the resemblance about him, but I didn't think anything of it, until he showed me his ID..roflmao. So he told me to add him on Facebook and he'd get Uncle Chris to send me an autographed photo. Oh to be a few...okay a LOT younger because he was just as cute as his Uncle...

So let's get to the important stuff right off: good on you for chatting up that young man and getting yourself an autographed pic of Uncle Chris Married 3 times huh? Bet there's a good story to tell for all 3 of them But that's probably personal - still doesn't stop me from being nosy though

Sounds like you are pulling everything else together and getting into your new groove. How are the lovely boys you live with?
Old May 22nd 2013, 7:14 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers
Only three divorces, thanks now I can keep track.
When do you get your first wages? I will be nice for you to have some slosh in your hand.
When can you start saving money by not having to take the taxi?
I hope the feet are OK by now.
Cheers
I've already had my first wage..lol. I get paid every Friday for the shift previously, so I get paid again tomorrow for the three days I worked last week. My pay period is Sunday through Saturday, so I either get paid a 3 day week or a 4 day week depending on whether my 4 days on fall together during the Sunday to Saturday pay period.

It was supposed to be this coming Sunday that Mr D started working at Heywood with me, but the powers that be in the office decided it wasn't fair to start him on the Sunday and then have to pay him double time and a half for his second day. So now he doesn't start until Monday 3rd June (which is the first day of our next shift)

Thanks for asking about my feet..they're fine now - no blisters. They still ache at night but not because of sore spots in my shoes.. lol
Old May 22nd 2013, 7:21 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Windsong, John is giving good advice here. All I can say is think of Linzi and what she was able to accomplish. It can be done! Chime in here, Linzi, but I think you did not go back with $2000 a month to fall back on either.

I would add one thing - have you thought about house sharing? Might be easier to find someone who already has pets and wouldn't mind yours; you would really only need to purchase personal items, as you would have a furnished room and fully furnished and equipped house; you wouldn't have to mess with council tax, utilities, setting up internet, etc., and it would be loads cheaper.

As for a job, apparently temp work is available and you already have the experience. Can you tell I am really rooting for you to go home?! I know you can do it
I'll definitely chime in here. I didn't have £2,000 per month to fall back on, in fact I only had £2,500 in total. But look at what I accomplished in a short period of time !! It can be done and I agree with PHS - consider a house share like I'm doing. There are a lot out there, many with pets or will take pets because on the web sites they list what they look for in a house share and they check the box that says 'pets ok'. So register with some of those (it's free), explain your circumstances and see what happens. People will contact you and tell you what type of room they have to offer you and you can see pictures to make up your mind. Plus you definitely save money. I pay £400 pcm and that covers everything, so nothing else to pay out except my mobile and my own food. Plus I get full use of a great house, great housemates and dogs..

Just something to consider at least.
Old May 22nd 2013, 7:26 pm
Yorkshire Lass

So let's get to the important stuff right off: good on you for chatting up that young man and getting yourself an autographed pic of Uncle Chris Married 3 times huh? Bet there's a good story to tell for all 3 of them But that's probably personal - still doesn't stop me from being nosy though

Sounds like you are pulling everything else together and getting into your new groove. How are the lovely boys you live with?

Oh I could definitely write a book about my marriages..

I love my lovely boys! They're both adorable and I love em to bits already. There's never a dull moment in the house that's for sure...lol I can't wait for Mr D to start working at Heywood with me, not only for the chance to save some taxi money (although I will be giving him some money towards petrol), but also because it will give him the chance to see why both Mr G and myself are so shattered when we get home..lol. He's been saying it will be easy and he's looking forward to it. He's in for a shock! Although knowing him - it probably WILL be easy
Old May 23rd 2013, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh I could definitely write a book about my marriages..

I love my lovely boys! They're both adorable and I love em to bits already. There's never a dull moment in the house that's for sure...lol I can't wait for Mr D to start working at Heywood with me, not only for the chance to save some taxi money (although I will be giving him some money towards petrol), but also because it will give him the chance to see why both Mr G and myself are so shattered when we get home..lol. He's been saying it will be easy and he's looking forward to it. He's in for a shock! Although knowing him - it probably WILL be easy
Well, we have one heck-of-a-talk over that cuppa to look forward to, don't we?
Old May 23rd 2013, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Glad the blisters are gone and hopefully your feet will get used to the standing and wont ache too much. Good you have a weekend off and maybe get to plan a trip or just relax. Hope you get that autographed photo, very cool. Have a great weekend.
Old May 23rd 2013, 1:57 am
Yorkshire Lass

Well, we have one heck-of-a-talk over that cuppa to look forward to, don't we?
Might need more than one cuppa... Oh and at the Dr's today I got weighed again and I've lost another 10lbs So that's 20lbs total in 5 weeks.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.