Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
If I go to a restaurant I expect to make a selection myself rather than appoint someone to make the decision for me.

The independents are servants to the electorate, not the electorates master. As such the independents need to do what the electorate want NOT what they think is best for their electorate. And cleary from the results, the electorate wanted them to ally with the coalition.

Windsor and Oakshott did what was in their own best interest rather than their electorates. Their actions are completely dishonourable and dismissive to their own voters. They won't be around for much longer.

The electorate spoke and Windsor and Oakshott ignored them.
If the majority wanted the Coalition, then they should have voted for them.

As it was, they voted for the Independents and by doing so entrusted to them any decisions that had to be made.

If they don't like it they'll get a chance to vote for someone else at some point in the future.

Thats just how it works really, whether you like or not (and I'll go out on a limb and say that you don't )
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
If the majority wanted the Coalition, then they should have voted for them.

As it was, they voted for the Independents and by doing so entrusted to them any decisions that had to be made.

If they don't like it they'll get a chance to vote for someone else at some point in the future.

Thats just how it works really, whether you like or not (and I'll go out on a limb and say that you don't )
They voted for the independents with the coalition as second preference.

You seem to forget we have preferences in Australia.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

They voted for the independents with the coalition as second preference.

You seem to forget we have preferences in Australia.
I'm not forgetting at all. I'll just repeat that if they really wanted coalition in power they should have put them first.

I do agree with you though that Windsor and Oakie made their decision primarily in self interest.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:55 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not forgetting at all. I'll just repeat that if they really wanted coalition in power they should have put them first.

I do agree with you though that Windsor and Oakie made their decision primarily in self interest.

Hmmm. I wonder if they are perhaps suffering some buyers remorse now. Strange how the indies [and the Greens] are now offering to support coalition policy in the areas that they like, irrespective of the wishes of the Labour government.

Abbott offered a slice of power

This really is starting to resemble a government of national unity...

I bet julia's none too pleased either...

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Sep 9th 2010 at 3:04 am.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:08 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
A Ginga Burger for me.
Angry Angus?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hmmm. I wonder if they are perhaps suffering some buyers remorse now. Strange how the indies [and the Greens] are now offering to support coalition policy in the areas that they like, irrespective of the wishes of the Labour government.

S
I'm sure quite a few of them are. There's probably a few voters in swing states who made protest votes that are regretting it too. Quite frankly - tough shit.

Interesting article, Miss G certainly will get the hump. Interesting that the Liberal party isn't quite the happy ship it makes out to be either.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:12 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

If I go to a restaurant I expect to make a selection myself rather than appoint someone to make the decision for me.
exactly right.

The problem I have with this whole process, is that if you were to ask 100,000 (or even 1,000) random people "who do you want in power, labor or lnp?" - the majority would respond lnp.

Yet the independents have made decisions to support labor, without consulting the people. That's not democratic, in my opinion.

(ps - I don't really have any preference between lnp and labor.)
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asprilla
The problem I have with this whole process, is that if you were to ask 100,000 (or even 1,000) random people "who do you want in power, labor or lnp?" - the majority would respond lnp.
Really? How do you know that? It'd be pretty close either way.

Maybe one positive about this election is that some people might have a think about how the system works and what they are voting for, although I won't hold my breath.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I'll just repeat that if they really wanted coalition in power they should have put them first.
And if they really wanted Labor in power they should have put them first also. As it stands though, irrespective of who holds the seat, they preferred the Libs to Labor.

Well at least there's something that we agree with.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
I bet she isn't either.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asprilla
Yet the independents have made decisions to support labor, without consulting the people. That's not democratic, in my opinion.
It's definitely not democracy.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

It's definitely not democracy.
Well, it is. Its Representative Democracy in full action!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, it is. Its Representative Democracy in full action!
Representative democracy is the model of democracy in use in Australia. That said, the decision the independents made was not democratic as it went against their electorates wishes.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:27 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Our government was decided upon by :

An independent who said NBN was his deciding factor. He does not even own a computer and cannot use one by his own admission. I'm sure he had not made his mind up a couple of weeks before the decision when he described the Coalition as cancer.
An independent who probably wears a foil hat to bed at night under an Akubra to stop the thought police tracking him down and alien abductions.
A final independent whose decision to back a certain party was nothing to do with his new ministerial job.

Democracy at work. Rather than let their electorates decide they just spend 17 days standing on the street corner of parliament house prostituting.

Whilst not a labor fan, the manner in which the government has been returned is at best rather tawdry.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:56 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
Our government was decided upon by :

An independent who said NBN was his deciding factor. He does not even own a computer and cannot use one by his own admission. I'm sure he had not made his mind up a couple of weeks before the decision when he described the Coalition as cancer.
An independent who probably wears a foil hat to bed at night under an Akubra to stop the thought police tracking him down and alien abductions.
A final independent whose decision to back a certain party was nothing to do with his new ministerial job.

Democracy at work. Rather than let their electorates decide they just spend 17 days standing on the street corner of parliament house prostituting.

Whilst not a labor fan, the manner in which the government has been returned is at best rather tawdry.
The rules were known before the event.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.