Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:14 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What went wrong for you?

Agree with everything you say, its a lottery(!) But everyone has to discover for themselves, ultimately it might be a set of circumstances that do it for you. I don't have problem with 'whinging poms' like Arkon as he's quite funny with it and I know what he means. I'm not so impressed with the 'useless whinger'(!).

B
Absolutely - everyone needs to try for themselves as everyone has different ideals/finances/jobs etc. We are really struggling financially. Hubby is a brickie and although he has found work, it's unpredictable and low paid. Because of the nature of his work, he can be laid off work for a few weeks at a time which means no dosh coming in from him. We can't plan it either because they only tell him the day before they lay off. We haven't been here for long (since Jan) but everyone tells us that prices here have risen so much over the past few years - food, housing etc., so that along with the low pay makes it really difficult. In the UK he had days off work due to rain/snow/frost etc., but because the wages were really good, it didn't matter. We can't get a mortgage because he's not employed on a permanent contract (well we could, but the charges and interest rates are unbelievable). We are still using our UK equity money to pay most of the rent each month.

So even though we really do like Australia, I would advise anyone to check it out living here before selling up. When we do go back we'll have at least twice the mortgage that we did have.

On a positive note though, it's certainly been an experience and we've seen some lovely places along the way and met some really lovely people. One of life's learning curves I guess
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
The people who tell you to shut up and stop moaning and just get on with things are more often than not the ones who are happy with their lives and have no sympathy or compassion for those who are finding it difficult.
Nice thesis - but somewhat flawed. I doubt there's a single 'happy' person that posts on these forums that hasn't had serious problems of one kind or another. Rather there are those who are able to get on with life, whatever it throws at them, and those that curl up into a fetal position every time they see someone walking barefoot in a supermarket. Go read Bix's recent threads about his move to Oz - he's an upbeat poster on these forums I'm sure you'll agree; someone who likes his life here - but read all the crap he's gone through both to get here and then to live here and then tell me that all us happy bunnies behave as we do simply because we haven't felt the same pain as you. It's naive.

It isn't about sympathy or compassion, it's about your basic attitude to life. Some of us choose to get on with it and some of us choose to play the blame game.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:03 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got some advice as well

- don't buy a farm if you know nothing about farming (unless you are prepared for a steep learning curve).
- don't buy any business you know nothing about unless you are prepared for problems.
- don't think that Estate Agents are any different to those found in England.
- don't think that sales people are any different to those found in England.
- don't buy in the middle of nowhere if you don't like living in the middle of nowhere.
- don't go around telling the locals this wouldn't happen in England (it does and the locals, justifiably, won't believe you).
- don't go around calling the locals thick when you don't know how to work the system.
- don't build a house in Aus if you think you're going to have an easier time than the people on Grand Designs.
- don't buy a huge property on the edge of town if you are not prepared to do the travel to work or pay for petrol.
- don't assume the way it's done in England is the best way for doing it in Aus: it probably isn't.
- don't assume that Australians are crying out for news from the mother country (unless you can travel back in time about 100 years).

just don't - OK

Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've got some advice as well

- don't buy a farm if you know nothing about farming (unless you are prepared for a steep learning curve).
- don't buy any business you know nothing about unless you are prepared for problems.
- don't think that Estate Agents are any different to those found in England.
- don't think that sales people are any different to those found in England.
- don't buy in the middle of nowhere if you don't like living in the middle of nowhere.
- don't go around telling the locals this wouldn't happen in England (it does and the locals, justifiably, won't believe you).
- don't go around calling the locals thick when you don't know how to work the system.
- don't build a house in Aus if you think you're going to have an easier time than the people on Grand Designs.
- don't buy a huge property on the edge of town if you are not prepared to do the travel to work or pay for petrol.
- don't assume the way it's done in England is the best way for doing it in Aus: it probably isn't.
- don't assume that Australians are crying out for news from the mother country (unless you can travel back in time about 100 years).

just don't - OK

I'll just get me coat then....
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:59 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm not so impressed with the 'useless whinger'(!).

B
I wish people wouldn't talk about vash that way!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:02 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by arkon
I wish people wouldn't talk about vash that way!
Laughed Out Loud!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:13 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seasprite
I'll just get me coat then....
Nooooo - Don't

But then again, you live in Dorset
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:25 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nice thesis - but somewhat flawed. I doubt there's a single 'happy' person that posts on these forums that hasn't had serious problems of one kind or another. Rather there are those who are able to get on with life, whatever it throws at them, and those that curl up into a fetal position every time they see someone walking barefoot in a supermarket. Go read Bix's recent threads about his move to Oz - he's an upbeat poster on these forums I'm sure you'll agree; someone who likes his life here - but read all the crap he's gone through both to get here and then to live here and then tell me that all us happy bunnies behave as we do simply because we haven't felt the same pain as you. It's naive.

It isn't about sympathy or compassion, it's about your basic attitude to life. Some of us choose to get on with it and some of us choose to play the blame game.
I think that the point I'm trying to make is that even though people have a whinge, they quite often are doing something to try to make it better for themselves and not just sitting crying about it. Whinging can sometimes help get things of your chest. Sometimes it's better to have a good old moan than to bottle things up. I certainly didn't mean that the happy folks haven't had their own problems, I'm sure anyone going to the other side of the world has had their fair share of them but there are different levels of problems and some people can be deal with things easier/quicker than others. I don't like condeming people because they can't deal with things and they feel the need to unburden themselves. I know there are people who will never be happy - I know a few of them myself but most on here are just releasing a bit of stress and anxiety.

The only person I blame for our mistake is ourselves. No-one else at all, there's no point is there? I'd would more than anything just like to warn others to be cautious as it's damned hard to lose everything that you've worked all your life for. I'm certainly not down beat about anything. I'm actually very positive about the future - I won't let something like this get me down and will use the time I have left here to do as much as possible and enjoy every minute. As I said, part of life's learning curves and all that
Old Oct 26th 2006, 9:53 am
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the point I'm trying to make is that even though people have a whinge, they quite often are doing something to try to make it better for themselves and not just sitting crying about it. Whinging can sometimes help get things of your chest. Sometimes it's better to have a good old moan than to bottle things up. I certainly didn't mean that the happy folks haven't had their own problems, I'm sure anyone going to the other side of the world has had their fair share of them but there are different levels of problems and some people can be deal with things easier/quicker than others. I don't like condeming people because they can't deal with things and they feel the need to unburden themselves. I know there are people who will never be happy - I know a few of them myself but most on here are just releasing a bit of stress and anxiety.

The only person I blame for our mistake is ourselves. No-one else at all, there's no point is there? I'd would more than anything just like to warn others to be cautious as it's damned hard to lose everything that you've worked all your life for. I'm certainly not down beat about anything. I'm actually very positive about the future - I won't let something like this get me down and will use the time I have left here to do as much as possible and enjoy every minute. As I said, part of life's learning curves and all that

And the difference is that you come across as a nice person Louise who is obviously having a hard time over in Australia and you have given a balanced and well put argument to back up your opinion, Arkon on the other hand continuously puts down every single thing that anybody says on here and once again contrary to whats been said previously its not with humour its with extreme bitterness. I am quite frankly offended by the fact that Arkon seems to be the foremost authority on all things oz and that every single one of us trying to make the move are doing so with rose tinted glasses NEWS BROADCAST ARKON!!!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!. I do not think Australia is utopia nor do i think i am going to make my fortune, what i and my family do believe after much research and also listening to the people who have given constructive comments both positive and negative which by the way includes my own family that have lived there for 20 years and given me advice BOTH ways, is that we believe that we just may have a better life and certainly a change of lifestyle and way of living if we make the move, no i cannot guarentee that it will definately work out for us but believe me it wont be because of any so called advice that you give, if anything its more likey to come from somebody like louise who has been honest and not just totally and without exception negative. Actualy i do feel for you Arkon and i pray to god that we dont end up in a situation like you seem to be in, but only we will know about that if and when it happens, we will do our research and we will make our decisions based on that research, its how people do things in this life, if it goes bad god forbid then we will deal with it and move on but i promise you one thing, i will not sit on this site with a chip so huge on my shoulder that it weighs me down and try to put off as many people as i can, yes i will give advice where i can and then those people will make up their own mind. Try to stop the bitterness eating away at you the way it so obviously is Arkon. I pray that someone will come and buy your farm off you and then maybe and i mean maybe you will post one singular positive thread on here that you sold and you got out. Good luck Arkon, believe it or not i actualy mean that.

Nev.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redlion
And the difference is that you come across as a nice person Louise who is obviously having a hard time over in Australia and you have given a balanced and well put argument to back up your opinion, Arkon on the other hand continuously puts down every single thing that anybody says on here and once again contrary to whats been said previously its not with humour its with extreme bitterness. I am quite frankly offended by the fact that Arkon seems to be the foremost authority on all things oz and that every single one of us trying to make the move are doing so with rose tinted glasses NEWS BROADCAST ARKON!!!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!. I do not think Australia is utopia nor do i think i am going to make my fortune, what i and my family do believe after much research and also listening to the people who have given constructive comments both positive and negative which by the way includes my own family that have lived there for 20 years and given me advice BOTH ways, is that we believe that we just may have a better life and certainly a change of lifestyle and way of living if we make the move, no i cannot guarentee that it will definately work out for us but believe me it wont be because of any so called advice that you give, if anything its more likey to come from somebody like louise who has been honest and not just totally and without exception negative. Actualy i do feel for you Arkon and i pray to god that we dont end up in a situation like you seem to be in, but only we will know about that if and when it happens, we will do our research and we will make our decisions based on that research, its how people do things in this life, if it goes bad god forbid then we will deal with it and move on but i promise you one thing, i will not sit on this site with a chip so huge on my shoulder that it weighs me down and try to put off as many people as i can, yes i will give advice where i can and then those people will make up their own mind. Try to stop the bitterness eating away at you the way it so obviously is Arkon. I pray that someone will come and buy your farm off you and then maybe and i mean maybe you will post one singular positive thread on here that you sold and you got out. Good luck Arkon, believe it or not i actualy mean that.

Nev.
Brilliant posts Nev and Lousie. People DO need to hear the negatives and the positives, but I think theres a right and a wrong way in expressing them. Louise I really take my hat off to you. I am really sorry to hear things havent turned out as you expected and I wish you nothing but the best of luck for the future. As Nev has said, the difference between you and the "serial whingers" is that you are able to voice your dislikes about oz in a constructive manner without generalising and blaming everyone else for your mistakes. Im sure many would be immigrants learn a lot from your posts.

As an Aussie I probably notice the insults more than others, but thats not to say I appoint myself as a Crusader here to fight the Aussie cause. In fact, the reason I come on here believe it or not is to listen to what people dont like about the place. My fiance is English and I want to know what problems he may face or what he may dislike about Oz when he gets here. If I was to give him my opinion it would be completely biased as I love it here. So to give him a more balanced perspective I tell him the things that other immigrants see as negatives. Before he steps one foot onto Aussie soil he knows that you cant buy English products in our supermarkets, that our TV is crap compared to what he watches at home, that the flies are a pain in the backside in the warmer months and that it is not profitable to buy an alpaca farm in the middle of nowhere

Australia DOES have its problems and people should be aware of them. As I have stated before, I do feel sorry for Arkon, not only because of the situation he has put himself and his family in, but also because its sad to see somebody so consumed with hatred. I truly believe however, he is doing Oz an invaluable service, because if people are stupid enough to base their decision on whether to migrate or not soley on his beliefs, I wouldnt want them here anyway.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Well I'm with you Arkon and I can certainly see why you want citizenship, and planning for the future and I don't blame you at all. It sounds to me like you've been through enough heartache already.

People who haven't experienced it just don't understand. They think that you are simply sat whinging every night , trying to put others off coming here just for the sake of it cos you’ve nothing better to do! I had my doubts before moving here permanently, but everyone kept telling me how wonderful it was here and how perfect a place it is – family who were here and who had friends here (who now also realise it isn’t perfect). So stupidly we listened. If only I had read posts similar to yours I may not have risked it and saved myself a bloody fortune and stayed in the UK.

We have lost almost everything in our move to Australia - it was undoubtedly the worse thing we have ever done in our entire lives. We spent three years applying for a visa, researching, going to seminars, and looking forward to our new life here. We were going to do so much, see so much. We had been told by different people that life in Oz was wonderful, quality of life unbelievable, we would earn a fortune etc. etc. etc. Stupid us believing it all – I don’t blame anyone but ourselves but I do wish people wouldn’t exaggerate or base their findings on just a holiday or hearsay. The trouble is, by the time you get here and realise that it isn’t all paradise, it’s often too late – you’ve sold your house, spent a fortune getting yourself, your family and your worldly possessions over here, invested money into making a go of it here and then the realisation hits in that something isn't quite as it seemed. For some people it’s the best thing they ever did and they are more than happy with their gamble. For others it isn’t – it’s a huge mistake and one that will take many years to put right.

The people who tell you to shut up and stop moaning and just get on with things are more often than not the ones who are happy with their lives and have no sympathy or compassion for those who are finding it difficult. They can’t see other’s problems, cant see that you are negative for a reason and that you are actually working your butt off to make things right for your family.

I feel for those who haven’t moved out here permanently yet who have maybe visited on a holiday and think that its all going to be perfect! Because living here is just so different to holidaying. Those who come over here with their UK earnings and think everything is so cheap. Those who think that they will have a lovely five bedroom house with a pool, by the sea for next to nothing. They will get a job working only 30 hours a week, earn a fortune and spend the rest of their time surfing or sunning themselves on the beach or sailing in their boat. And have a barbie every week with all the lovely neighbours. And fly back home every year to visit the relatives. Explore all those lovely islands, Bali, Whitsunday’s, etc. Maybe some will – I’m sure there are people on here who have done exactly that – but for many others it’s not quite the dream it’s made out to be.

We do like Australia - it is a really beautiful country – the people are lovely, the weather is great and the scenery is amazing but unfortunately that won’t pay the bills or keep a roof over your head.

If I was to give one piece of advice to anyone it would be this: Don’t sell up completely. Save up enough to get you over here, try it out, rent and spend some time living and working here. Then if you find you like it and it’s financially better for you, as it obviously can be for some, then sell up.
Excellent post. I agree with everything you said.Their is a few people on this forum that not a thing has gone wrong or they came to other people,here family, good friends jobs etc and they really have no idea what it feels like.
We sold the house it was the biggest mistake.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:04 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by by the sea side
totally agree about the Holden and Ford rubbish.What is that all about?
After 20 years here you,ll understand ............ mm
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:20 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Christina wrote:

<<Australia DOES have its problems and people should be aware of them. As I have stated before, I do feel sorry for Arkon, not only because of the situation he has put himself and his family in, but also because its sad to see somebody so consumed with hatred. I truly believe however, he is doing Oz an invaluable service, because if people are stupid enough to base their decision on whether to migrate or not soley on his beliefs, I wouldnt want them here anyway.>>

I hope it doesn't sound patronising but that's a very insightful way of approaching the "negative" posts.

I probably come across as one of the negatives myself - many of my own posts have been concerned with things that I think substandard: not just in comparison with the Uk but with TROTW. But I too don't like to see folk, many of whom are not in a secure financial state anyway, upping and leaving a relatively secure existence and finding that the place they went to on holiday isn't the utopia that they may have seen at a fleeting glance.

We consider oruselves to be completely settled here now, are building a house and have made a lot of friends and aquaintances in the area. There *are* many problems in Oz - as there are elsewhere - and some of them are IMO very serious indeed. But the price of lettuce and the unavailability of OMO are not amongst them!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:33 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Christina wrote:

<<Australia DOES have its problems and people should be aware of them. As I have stated before, I do feel sorry for Arkon, not only because of the situation he has put himself and his family in, but also because its sad to see somebody so consumed with hatred. I truly believe however, he is doing Oz an invaluable service, because if people are stupid enough to base their decision on whether to migrate or not soley on his beliefs, I wouldnt want them here anyway.>>

I hope it doesn't sound patronising but that's a very insightful way of approaching the "negative" posts.

I probably come across as one of the negatives myself - many of my own posts have been concerned with things that I think substandard: not just in comparison with the Uk but with TROTW. But I too don't like to see folk, many of whom are not in a secure financial state anyway, upping and leaving a relatively secure existence and finding that the place they went to on holiday isn't the utopia that they may have seen at a fleeting glance.
I agree up to a point. I suppose it falls into the same kind of category as holiday romances. And yes, Wol - you do come across as one of the negatives. I think those are the first positive things I've ever heard you say about your life in Oz on these forums. Horses for courses I suppose, but I've been making an effort over the last six months or so to recognise the negatives here as much as I do the positives.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:47 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mr mover
After 20 years here you,ll understand ............ mm
oh good, ...it'll all become clear to me in 3 months then..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.