Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of
Default Re: The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Yuck!

Sorry - bad imagery. Got a cold.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:41 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Aussie media who bombard us with the "Australia is the best place to live" and "Australians are the best at everything" and "It's only good if it's Australian" rubbish. It's so annoying and childish. Must say that the Aussies I've met so far, don't seem like that.

Poor choice in supermarkets, newspapers, magazines, compared to home
Rubbish TV & childish presenters
OTT shop assistants with plastic smiles
Bag searches in shops
Having to wear a cycle helmet
Not being able to take my dogs on the beach in summer
Poor street lighting in suburbs - I need my torch when walking my mutts at night
Decent local watering hole
Thats what you get for living in Melbourne and ......not Australia ........... mm
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:53 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Thats what you get for living in Melbourne and ......not Australia ........... mm
Funny because it's the same in my part of Australia and Perth too from what I'm told. All we need is it to be true of Sydney and Brisbane and I think it's safe to generalise and just state that Australia is flawed.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:56 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Did you actually do any research before you brought a farm in the middle of nowwhere and probably an area full of inbreds?

Maybe if you had brought somewhere else where the natives were much better you may have had a better experience. There were areas that I wouldn't have wanted to go and live in Australia, but saying that there are a few areas in UK that have areas of inbreds as well.....Evesham and Kidderminster come to mind and parts of Hereford. I'm sure there a few more.. Also in some parts of USA, I met a few in Florida. I suppose every country has them and you found yours.
Well that’s the rub, we spent 3 years (time it took to get the visa) doing plenty of research. In fact we got criticised for doing too much homework. But when we got here our plan got a bit scuppered when the wife became pregnant after a week. We panicked and bought the first place that met our criteria for a property whilst completely forgetting the most important thing, location location location. I should just add that I don't think it's all to do with the location but more the country and it's poor attitudes to almost everything.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:00 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by fnord
Cycle helmets are now compulsory in Australia , New Zealand, Spain, Canada (aged under 18) and twenty states in the USA.

The British Medical Association's Board of Science and Education adopted a position calling on the UK government to introduce cycle helmet legislation.

The World Health Organization is in favour of helmet use and promotion and compulsion laws.

Sounds like a good thing to me.
I read that wearing a helmet whist possibly giving some protection made you twice as likely to be in an accident in the first place. Something to do with driving closer to cars when you have one on. Can't remember where I read it.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Well that’s the rub, we spent 3 years (time it took to get the visa) doing plenty of research. In fact we got criticised for doing too much homework. But when we got here our plan got a bit scuppered when the wife became pregnant after a week. We panicked and bought the first place that met our criteria for a property whilst completely forgetting the most important thing, location location location.

You had 9 months you know..... I personally like to live in an area before I decide on committment. Until you actually live there you can never really tell whether it is right or not. Book covers can always look good on the outside but not so good on the inside.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:46 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

I read that wearing a helmet whist possibly giving some protection made you twice as likely to be in an accident in the first place. Something to do with driving closer to cars when you have one on. Can't remember where I read it.
Yes, I heard something similar (not sure about the "twice as likely" stat though). I guess it is a question of increased accidents versus increased survival rate in accidents.

Oh, I found this about this point. Cars are twice as likely to go close to the cyclist. Cyclists are therefore "more likely" to be knocked down by passing vehicles.

Last edited by fnord; Oct 25th 2006 at 12:54 pm. Reason: Added link
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:22 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christinabell
Arkon I have never said the oath, because surprise surprise, Im Australian born and bred. If I was asked to say it I wouldnt hesitate, in fact, Id have it tattooed on my backside if I had too ( yes its big enough to fit all those words lol ) I love my country and everything it stands for but thats not to say I expect everyone else to adhere to my beliefs as I am the first to admit we arent perfect. I actually feel very sorry for you as I would hate to feel so trapped in a place I was unhappy in. However, the thing that really bugs me with you is your ability to blame Australia for your own mistakes. You have repeatedly said in various posts you dont like it here because its so far away... well you bought the plane ticket to get here originally.. you saw how much it was to come here... I would hazard a guess that you've seen us on a map so you would realise we are at the other side of the world. So why do u moan about it ? You have also commented on this thread and on others in the past about the heat, the flies and the mozzies. Arkon we have had these things for over 200 years now. What made you think they wouldnt be here when you got here ? And then theres your property. I have no idea whereabouts in NSW you are, or how long ago you bought it, but do you not think that selling a rural property in the middle of one of the worst droughts we have had is going to be difficult ? My point is Australia didnt twist your arm and make you come here... we didnt pack up and move the country another 10000 miles away just to piss you off... and we didnt turn on the sun, the flys and the mozzies because we saw you coming. These are all things you should have known before you got here, so you need to take the responsibility for your actions.

Arkon I dont want to argue with you, but, you have to look at things from my point of view too. Like I said, I am Australian and I am very proud so naturally it makes me very angry when I read your posts knocking everything about us. Then when you turn around and say you want to be a citizen it makes my blood boil. Maybe Im different to everyone else, because I wouldnt even consider becoming a citizen of another country if I didnt feel some sort of pride in it. My advice to you Arkon, and I mean this in a sincere way and am no way being nasty, is , instead of getting up each morning and looking for the negatives, try looking for the positives. Set yourself a goal each day to find 5 good things about the place and I dont say that to make u like Oz, I say that to try and make your obviously sad life a bit happier. Just remember everything detrimental you say to me about Oz, is just like saying it to your son... as whether you like it or not, he is Australian too. Look at him running barefoot on the grass with the sun shining on his face smiling and laughing, because you know what ? At the end of the day thats all that matters. It doesnt matter whether its Oz or the Uk, thats the most important thing in life.

Sorry only just bothered my arse to look at this thread, and this just about sums up what i feel about this bloke. I have never read so much negativity from one person, he is the antithesis of the 'whinging pom' and he is drowning in his own self pity, i would understand his problems if he wasnt so negative about it all, but as has been so elequently said above nobody dragged his sorry little arse over to Australia. Not that any of this changes my or our minds about the move, constructive criticism is really helpfull but constant whinging achieves nothing, i sometimes think its just a one man crusade to put as many people off as possible just to make himself feel better, not to actualy and genuinly pass on his experiences to help anyone.

Nev.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:18 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by redlion
Sorry only just bothered my arse to look at this thread, and this just about sums up what i feel about this bloke. I have never read so much negativity from one person, he is the antithesis of the 'whinging pom' and he is drowning in his own self pity, i would understand his problems if he wasnt so negative about it all, but as has been so elequently said above nobody dragged his sorry little arse over to Australia. Not that any of this changes my or our minds about the move, constructive criticism is really helpfull but constant whinging achieves nothing, i sometimes think its just a one man crusade to put as many people off as possible just to make himself feel better, not to actualy and genuinly pass on his experiences to help anyone.

Nev.
Well that's your view, mine is that if I can stop just one person making a dreadful mistake then it's justified. If I can make a few people take off the rose tints and do a bit more research before coming then maybe they will enjoy it better here. If I can stop one person buying a house instead of renting for a bit in an area to try it out first, or make people not burn all their bridges before coming just in case they want to go back then I feel it's all justified. Skilled migrants need to be made aware that although your skills might get you here, they count for nothing once you get here.

When I read on here, "We are a family of 4 and a skilled xxxxx will coming with 20k be enough, Or I’m a skilled xxxx and should be able to pick up work easily" or some other simular question it fills me with horror and I want to scream NO don't do it. I also have a particularly negative view of Australia because I've never in my life experienced so many negative things in such a short space of time as I have here.

Basically if I can stop one person falling down one of the multitude of pitfalls we have encountered then it will have been worth all the stick I get on here. Contrary to what you think I am trying to help people adjust better here rather than stop them coming as they will come anyway. Feel free to slag me off as much as you like and I will continue to point out the inadequacies of your country.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Speaking as a fellow Aussie, I have to say that's a brilliant post.

There does seem to be some sort of peculiar tension between the idea of someone who professes to hate Australia with a passion but is hoping to gain Australian citizenship because he has some vague idea that his son might want to live there at some point in the far distant future. (But if it's as awful as arkon claims, why WOULD his son want to live there?)

At the very least, this is incredible hypocrisy; at the very most, it's a classic example of the type of ****wit we get on this forum every now and then.

Ah, Britain's finest export: the ignorant, bigoted, middle-class, Daily Mail-reading curtain-twitcher (in whose eyes the only inhabitable regions of the world are London, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Gloucestershire and Surrey!)

Where would we be without 'em?
Well that's made me feel good!I don't come from any of those places. I agree with you about the citizenship.After all Many British people complain about the easy access to Britian but not caring about the country.It's the same isn't it?
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Budowsky
funny totally agree about rove....grrrrr
totally agree about the Holden and Ford rubbish.What is that all about?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Mullets, Cut then again i dont have one so i can laugh. Old biddies who try to work at Medicare and cant work a PC, Apart from that nothing.
Oops. The price of shellfish. :scared: Except mussels.
Thers should be a tax on anyone wearing a mullet!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 2:28 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's your view, mine is that if I can stop just one person making a dreadful mistake then it's justified. If I can make a few people take off the rose tints and do a bit more research before coming then maybe they will enjoy it better here. If I can stop one person buying a house instead of renting for a bit in an area to try it out first, or make people not burn all their bridges before coming just in case they want to go back then I feel it's all justified. Skilled migrants need to be made aware that although your skills might get you here, they count for nothing once you get here.

When I read on here, "We are a family of 4 and a skilled xxxxx will coming with 20k be enough, Or I’m a skilled xxxx and should be able to pick up work easily" or some other simular question it fills me with horror and I want to scream NO don't do it. I also have a particularly negative view of Australia because I've never in my life experienced so many negative things in such a short space of time as I have here.

Basically if I can stop one person falling down one of the multitude of pitfalls we have encountered then it will have been worth all the stick I get on here. Contrary to what you think I am trying to help people adjust better here rather than stop them coming as they will come anyway. Feel free to slag me off as much as you like and I will continue to point out the inadequacies of your country.
Well I'm with you Arkon and I can certainly see why you want citizenship, and planning for the future and I don't blame you at all. It sounds to me like you've been through enough heartache already.

People who haven't experienced it just don't understand. They think that you are simply sat whinging every night , trying to put others off coming here just for the sake of it cos you’ve nothing better to do! I had my doubts before moving here permanently, but everyone kept telling me how wonderful it was here and how perfect a place it is – family who were here and who had friends here (who now also realise it isn’t perfect). So stupidly we listened. If only I had read posts similar to yours I may not have risked it and saved myself a bloody fortune and stayed in the UK.

We have lost almost everything in our move to Australia - it was undoubtedly the worse thing we have ever done in our entire lives. We spent three years applying for a visa, researching, going to seminars, and looking forward to our new life here. We were going to do so much, see so much. We had been told by different people that life in Oz was wonderful, quality of life unbelievable, we would earn a fortune etc. etc. etc. Stupid us believing it all – I don’t blame anyone but ourselves but I do wish people wouldn’t exaggerate or base their findings on just a holiday or hearsay. The trouble is, by the time you get here and realise that it isn’t all paradise, it’s often too late – you’ve sold your house, spent a fortune getting yourself, your family and your worldly possessions over here, invested money into making a go of it here and then the realisation hits in that something isn't quite as it seemed. For some people it’s the best thing they ever did and they are more than happy with their gamble. For others it isn’t – it’s a huge mistake and one that will take many years to put right.

The people who tell you to shut up and stop moaning and just get on with things are more often than not the ones who are happy with their lives and have no sympathy or compassion for those who are finding it difficult. They can’t see other’s problems, cant see that you are negative for a reason and that you are actually working your butt off to make things right for your family.

I feel for those who haven’t moved out here permanently yet who have maybe visited on a holiday and think that its all going to be perfect! Because living here is just so different to holidaying. Those who come over here with their UK earnings and think everything is so cheap. Those who think that they will have a lovely five bedroom house with a pool, by the sea for next to nothing. They will get a job working only 30 hours a week, earn a fortune and spend the rest of their time surfing or sunning themselves on the beach or sailing in their boat. And have a barbie every week with all the lovely neighbours. And fly back home every year to visit the relatives. Explore all those lovely islands, Bali, Whitsunday’s, etc. Maybe some will – I’m sure there are people on here who have done exactly that – but for many others it’s not quite the dream it’s made out to be.

We do like Australia - it is a really beautiful country – the people are lovely, the weather is great and the scenery is amazing but unfortunately that won’t pay the bills or keep a roof over your head.

If I was to give one piece of advice to anyone it would be this: Don’t sell up completely. Save up enough to get you over here, try it out, rent and spend some time living and working here. Then if you find you like it and it’s financially better for you, as it obviously can be for some, then sell up.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 2:43 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

If I was to give one piece of advice to anyone it would be this: Don’t sell up completely. Save up enough to get you over here, try it out, rent and spend some time living and working here. Then if you find you like it and it’s financially better for you, as it obviously can be for some, then sell up.
Excellent advice and we really wish we had followed it 2 years ago. For the life of me I don't know why we did what we did. We have just found out we could buy back out old house in blighty!! Sorely tempting I can tell you. Just got to get rid of this noose around our necks first.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

What went wrong for you?

Agree with everything you say, its a lottery(!) But everyone has to discover for themselves, ultimately it might be a set of circumstances that do it for you. I don't have problem with 'whinging poms' like Arkon as he's quite funny with it and I know what he means. I'm not so impressed with the 'useless whinger'(!).

B

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.