Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:54 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Originally Posted by Paul2412
Hell, I'm heading over in a couple of weeks on a WHV.... I'm beginning to think the savings I've allocated aren't going to be enough if it carries on like this.
Where are you heading to? It's still perfectly doable but you'll need a job pretty damned fast and probably won't get to do a great deal of travelling in between working. I'd save what you can here and then go and have fun in Asia for a while afterwards.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Where are you heading to? It's still perfectly doable but you'll need a job pretty damned fast and probably won't get to do a great deal of travelling in between working. I'd save what you can here and then go and have fun in Asia for a while afterwards.
Yeah...I reckon there's a lot more W and a lot less H in WHV these days!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yeah...I reckon there's a lot more W and a lot less H in WHV these days!
I bet there's still loads of shagging though.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I bet there's still loads of shagging though.
Well it's free* aint it!

*certain streets in St Kilda excepted
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Paul2412 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Sydney of all places to start with!

Although the plan always was to do more work than holiday, as we are using it as a extended trial run to see if we would like to live there.

For the first few months, it'll be a case of getting a flatshare at about $300 per week (plenty available on Gumtree), I've also got some hours I can do for my work back here which would cover that and then my partner has registered for NSW to teach which has all come through and I'm a Microsoft .NET developer. According to several recruitment agencies and contacts I've got, the short term contract market for .NET is very strong in Sydney at the moment.

I'm just hoping we can find some work which will fund our year, otherwise we could be heading back early.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't people use the WHV as it was meant to be used anymore? Not knocking anyone, just think it's sad when there's a perfect excuse to get out there, explore, have a blast and do things they've never done before all they want to do is live in the same old same old.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Paul2412 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why don't people use the WHV as it was meant to be used anymore? Not knocking anyone, just think it's sad when there's a perfect excuse to get out there, explore, have a blast and do things they've never done before all they want to do is live in the same old same old.
We'll be doing that as well for at least 3 or 4 months, but I find it strange that some people re-locate to a country at the other side of the world after spending just a couple of weeks out there first.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2412
We'll be doing that as well for at least 3 or 4 months, but I find it strange that some people re-locate to a country at the other side of the world after spending just a couple of weeks out there first.
You think that's weird? We didn't even do a couple of weeks out here first. Well we did come over to the other side back in the early 80s but not sure that counts.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:47 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Meanwhile Australia's inflation rate came in at 0% for the last quarter.

Australia is looking so much better than the UK if the proverbial hits the fan. It's new found safe haven status and low inflation means the Reserve can cut interest rates to its heart's content. The only problem is that the AUD might not drop as much as it did in past crises and there will be less of a stimulatory effect.

By contrast, the UK has nowhere to go. A shrinking economy, interest rates already close to 0, moderately high inflation and its trading partners are in a mess.
I also think everyone is missing an important point. Australian assets are physical. They sit underground, just like gold in Fort Knox, or oil in the desert. They will not go away or deteriorate.

Much of the rest of the world relies upon created assets - tourism, banking and financial, and manufacturing. They rely upon continuity to survive. It's hard to mothball a car industry in Detriot, or a financial sector in London.

Until the recent loss of confidence this didn't really matter, but now the advantages of investing in Australia are obvious. Sooner or later you will need that bauxite, or copper, or whatever. You know where it is, and how much of it exists. It's a very safe bet for the future.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:34 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

So Australias 3.1% inflation rate is low but the UK's 4.2 is moderately high

Originally Posted by Budawang
Meanwhile Australia's inflation rate came in at 0% for the last quarter.

Australia is looking so much better than the UK if the proverbial hits the fan. It's new found safe haven status and low inflation means the Reserve can cut interest rates to its heart's content. The only problem is that the AUD might not drop as much as it did in past crises and there will be less of a stimulatory effect.

By contrast, the UK has nowhere to go. A shrinking economy, interest rates already close to 0, moderately high inflation and its trading partners are in a mess.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:35 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully on the day we change our house sale money

Originally Posted by carling black label
Who know's how low it could go, could it touch $1.40?
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:11 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris955
So Australias 3.1% inflation rate is low but the UK's 4.2 is moderately high
The UK's domestic inflation rate is....................

Jan 2012:

Total pay (including bonuses) rose by 1.9 per cent on a year earlier....

Five year moving average all....

The ONS says over the last 5 years wages have gone up by 13.1% in the UK...

How does that compare to real Australia.....

Domestic interest rates are a blunt tool to control domestic inflation (wages) not speculation in commodities......

Hot money is flowing into Australia chasing higher yields, chasing rentiers money; chasing free money for doing nothing but sitting on capital...

Last edited by carling black label; Jan 26th 2012 at 2:17 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:15 pm
Banned

Dont know how it compares really, like many I am self employed so wage rises don't apply but it makes no difference to me anyway. I found loads of stuff keep in the UK and others things cheaper here, swings and roundabouts.

Originally Posted by carling black label
The UK's domestic inflation rate is....................

Jan 2012:

Total pay (including bonuses) rose by 1.9 per cent on a year earlier....

Five year moving average all....

The ONS says over the last 5 years wages have gone up by 13.1% in the UK...

How does that compare to real Australia.....
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:56 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

$A increasingly popular with central banks

The Australian dollar is becoming increasingly attractive to foreign central banks and sovereign wealth funds as they try to reduce their exposure to under-performing US and European currencies.

Russia's central bank has flagged it may begin adding Australian dollars to its foreign currency reserves as early as February

As a result the Australian dollar was likely to trade higher, on average, for the next five years.

"I think the reality in Australia is that we should get used to the fact that the trend in the Aussie dollar has changed," Mr Oliver said.

"The Aussie dollar is likely to stay here for the next five or 10 years."
Old Jan 26th 2012, 4:41 pm
Banned

Maybe $1.30 WOOHOO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.