Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Wikiposts

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:47 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: $1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
..What about the Basingstoke weekly Express?
As far as I'm aware there is no Basingstoke Weekly Express. However, the Basingstoke Gazette (wednesdays and fridays) is a fine bastion of quality journalism!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:51 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
As far as I'm aware there is no Basingstoke Weekly Express. However, the Basingstoke Gazette (wednesdays and fridays) is a fine bastion of quality journalism!

Wow - I'll chalk that up there with the Bridport [Incorporating Lyme Regis] News...

S
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:01 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Wow - I'll chalk that up there with the Bridport [Incorporating Lyme Regis] News...

S

Well, that prompted me to have a closer read of the Bridport News - and there's further evidence that the UK economy is definitely on the slide:

The Acorn Gift Shop in Lyme Regis is to close after 28 years, with the loss of 4 jobs. These are serious times indeed.

Gift shop forced to close

I'll also draw your attention to this other article that interested me - a tree appears to have fallen onto a vintage water tank at Lilac Farm in Bridport:

Tree falls on water tank

These are looking more and more like the end times to me...

S
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that prompted me to have a closer read of the Bridport News - and there's further evidence that the UK economy is definitely on the slide:

The Acorn Gift Shop in Lyme Regis is to close after 28 years, with the loss of 4 jobs. These are serious times indeed.

Grayling doesn't look too happy does he?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Grayling doesn't look too happy does he?
I'd just been told the new neighbours were South Africans
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I'd just been told the new neighbours were South Africans
That's why you had to close - their superior retail skills put you out of business.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

That's why you had to close - their superior retail skills put you out of business.
No....they put off customers coming anywhere near the place
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

No....they put off customers coming anywhere near the place
See, Saffas taking over. Not only shagging your women and drinking your beer, now taking over your businesses.

Nothing can stop us.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

See, Saffas taking over. Not only shagging your women and drinking your beer, now taking over your businesses.

Nothing can stop us.
Pity they weren't Australians..I could have got them to work behind the counter...they are trained from an early age to work in shops or on the till.

Wouldn't need to pay much either
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:48 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Pity they weren't Australians..I could have got them to work behind the counter...they are trained from an early age to work in shops or on the till.

Wouldn't need to pay much either
There are indeed. It's called tertiary education.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:58 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

south africa's name should be changed.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commonwealth
south africa's name should be changed.
North Antarctica?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:04 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I realise most of our belongings are packed, the dog had had his injections, the cars are up for sale but to be honest we need to seriously reconsider our decision to go to the UK. I have spoken at length to friends over there but at no time did they tell me about this sort of thing, trees falling on water tanks

I'll also draw your attention to this other article that interested me - a tree appears to have fallen onto a vintage water tank at Lilac Farm in Bridport:

Tree falls on water tank

These are looking more and more like the end times to me...

S
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:07 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I realise most of our belongings are packed, the dog had had his injections, the cars are up for sale but to be honest we need to seriously reconsider our decision to go to the UK. I have spoken at length to friends over there but at no time did they tell me about this sort of thing, trees falling on water tanks
I expect this will be the clincher for you Chris. Start unpacking and accept your fate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10238041
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, why is life so cruel, it wasn't the tree that fell on the water tank was it ?

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I expect this will be the clincher for you Chris. Start unpacking and accept your fate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10238041

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.