Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:27 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Meh
The world will end on 12.12.12
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:32 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
this is not looking good . . .

UK debt passes £1 trillion for the first time

UK public debt -- excluding financial interventions, such as bank bail-outs -- has passed the £1 trillion mark for the first time, as the Government borrowed nearly £14bn last month despite its continued austerity drive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...irst-time.html
Look Commonwealth, you have to stop quoting these anti British newspapers. First it was the Daily Mail we had to ban. Now it's going to be the Telegraph.

Try something balanced, like the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...-debt-trillion

Oohhh dear........

Ok, what about the Financial Times?

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5a787...#axzz1kPxw079I

Oooooh bugger..

Itsnt anyone reporting the truth here?

What about the Basingstoke weekly Express?

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Jan 24th 2012 at 9:36 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:36 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I intend living it up between now and then and if it doesnt happen I have had a good time anyway

Meh
The world will end on 12.12.12
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:38 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, I cant decide.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:20 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:25 pm
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by chris955
It's amazing how some people love to complain about the expensive bananas, the martian Brisbane weather and landscape like a grunting Sharapova whilst blissfully looking at the bright side when confronted with a $1.5 Trillion mountain of Debt (excluding the bank bailouts).

Last edited by commonwealth; Jan 24th 2012 at 10:29 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:33 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing how some people love to complain about the martian Brisbane weather and landscape like a grunting Sharapova whilst blissfully looking at the bright side when confronted with a $1.5 Trillion mountain of Debt (excluding the bank bailouts).
That's because the poo hasn't hit the fan. Some people won't accept the obvious until it kicks them in the rear, then they act surprised.

George Soros isn't full of good news about the situation:

http://rt.com/usa/news/george-soros-class-war-619/

"I am not here to cheer you up. The situation is about as serious and difficult as I’ve experienced in my career,” Soros tells Newsweek. “We are facing an extremely difficult time, comparable in many ways to the 1930s, the Great Depression. We are facing now a general retrenchment in the developed world, which threatens to put us in a decade of more stagnation, or worse. The best-case scenario is a deflationary environment. The worst-case scenario is a collapse of the financial system.”

Soros goes on to compare the current state of the western world with what the Soviet Union was facing as communism crumbled. Although he would think that history would have taught the globe a thing or two about noticing trends, Soros says that, despite past events providing a perfect example of what is to come, the end of an empire seems imminent.
“The collapse of the Soviet system was a pretty extraordinary event, and we are currently experiencing something similar in the developed world, without fully realizing what’s happening,” adds Soros.

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Jan 24th 2012 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:36 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

The glass is neither half full nor half empty, it is merely holding 50% of its prescribed maximum capacity...

S
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:45 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

"The ordeal of belt-tightening will be grim, dragging out for a generation if Japan is any guide. The Japanese at least began their post-bubble debacle as the world’s top creditor nation with a trade super-surplus and a savings rate of 17pc. Britain has no such buffers."
Good post....Britain is so f00ked, put plainly...
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing how some people love to complain about the expensive bananas, the martian Brisbane weather and landscape like a grunting Sharapova whilst blissfully looking at the bright side when confronted with a $1.5 Trillion mountain of Debt (excluding the bank bailouts).
Bring on the financial apolcalypse that we have to have. The longer it's delayed the worse it will be.

They need to wash the shit out of the system before we press the "reset" button and start again.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:11 pm
Banned

I'm not sure anyone is doing that, I havent seen it anyway. I think everyone is fully aware that the global economy is in for a very hard time in coming years. I am certainly returning to the UK with my eyes wide open but just because I dont buy into the 'UK is ****ed' mentality doesn't mean I am ignoring it. I cant of course speak for others though

Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:12 pm
Banned

You aren't an economist are you ?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
The glass is neither half full nor half empty, it is merely holding 50% of its prescribed maximum capacity...

S
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
George Soros isn't full of good news about the situation:

http://rt.com/usa/news/george-soros-class-war-619/

"I am not here to cheer you up. The situation is about as serious and difficult as I’ve experienced in my career,” Soros tells Newsweek. “We are facing an extremely difficult time, comparable in many ways to the 1930s, the Great Depression. We are facing now a general retrenchment in the developed world, which threatens to put us in a decade of more stagnation, or worse. The best-case scenario is a deflationary environment. The worst-case scenario is a collapse of the financial system.”

Soros goes on to compare the current state of the western world with what the Soviet Union was facing as communism crumbled. Although he would think that history would have taught the globe a thing or two about noticing trends, Soros says that, despite past events providing a perfect example of what is to come, the end of an empire seems imminent.
“The collapse of the Soviet system was a pretty extraordinary event, and we are currently experiencing something similar in the developed world, without fully realizing what’s happening,” adds Soros.
In that article, Soros (an investor who was convicted for insider trading) also had a balancing comment - "In the crisis period, the impossible becomes possible. The European Union could regain its luster. I’m hopeful that the United States, as a political entity, will pass a very severe test and actually strengthen the institution".
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:48 am
Banned

It's all just opinions at the end of the day, some opinions fit an individuals agenda but life is too short to worry to be honest.

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
In that article, Soros (an investor who was convicted for insider trading) also had a balancing comment - "In the crisis period, the impossible becomes possible. The European Union could regain its luster. I’m hopeful that the United States, as a political entity, will pass a very severe test and actually strengthen the institution".
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
It's all just opinions at the end of the day, some opinions fit an individuals agenda
Yep, agree with that - and I would add that Soros has admitted in the past when his predictions turned out to be wrong, and says he learns from them.

But it can't really be ignored that he was convicted of insider training, and also made a ton of money when the Pound collapsed when leaving the ERM (short selling $10bn in Pounds just before it happened apparently) - his comments may indicate where his next money making venture is, and perhaps even give influence for this to happen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.