Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Old Jan 28th 2012, 11:48 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Originally Posted by GarryP
Internetless, does that still exist?

USD won't go down till Nov, No.1 priority of Obama is that.
Kiribati had very limited Internet, but so slow that it was self restricting to text based email. I think Tuvalu just had its cell phone system repaired (it had been offline for a couple of years), so it may now have some limited form of Internet.

The joys of it all....
Old Jan 28th 2012, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Internetless, does that still exist?

USD won't go down till Nov, No.1 priority of Obama is that.
From my reading... which is very limited I will admit. Surely the Growth in Brazil Mexico and Central America economies will slowly drag the US out of this. Maybe the UK should look West for whats coming in 10-20 years.

Good luck with your trip SH.... what about sat phone connections... as long as your company pays ?
Old Jan 28th 2012, 1:29 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

This is currently happening in the UK, i sincerley hope; i cannot comment as i do not live in Australia currently, but i hope this does not become the case....

QE or Printing Money, dilutes the Pound in your pocket. Inflation may be an indirect tax, but it is very real – the individuals who suffer most from cost of living increases certainly pay a “tax.”

The “tax” is paid when prices rise as the result of a depreciating pound.

Low and middle income families will suffer the most as they struggle to make ends meet while wealth is literally transferred from the middle class to the wealthy.

The transfer of wealth comes as savers and fixed-income families lose purchasing power, large banks benefit, and corporations receive plush contracts from the government .

These companies use the newly printed money before it circulates, while the middle class is forced to accept it at face value later on.

This becomes a huge hidden tax on the middle class, many of whom never object to government spending in hopes that the political promises will be fulfilled and they will receive some of the goodies.

But surprise – it doesn’t happen. The result instead is higher prices for prescription drugs, Utilities, and other necessities.

The moral of the story is that spending is always a tax.

The inflation tax, though hidden, only makes things worse. Taxing, borrowing, and inflating to satisfy wealth transfers from the middle class to the rich in an effort to pay for profligate government spending, can never make a nation wealthier.

But it will make us all poorer.

But you will never read this tale in your Sun newspaper.....
Old Jan 28th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool

Sadly I'm off to another internetless remote island for a few months, and so I must drop out. Sorry about that.
Sounds like paradise (or at least you can pretend there aren't any problems in the world).

Enjoy.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 2:34 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that inflation has been dropping since October last year and is now already down to 4.2%, just over 1% higher than here.

Originally Posted by carling black label

Old Jan 28th 2012, 3:00 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris955
Interesting that inflation has been dropping since October last year and is now already down to 4.2%, just over 1% higher than here.
Stats like all things bad, roll a dice, push a piece of string, just toss a coin.....I am drunk, so i used to contribute; but no longer, so i will retire and accept my working class poor status..... thankyou and good night...Its been a bang...We have a serious swinging party happening, wish me luck.......Here i go.....Be Happy...I want the Maxi or Allegro......Whoop whoop......
Old Jan 28th 2012, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Stats like all things bad, roll a dice, push a piece of string, just toss a coin.....I am drunk, so i used to contribute; but no longer, so i will retire and accept my working class poor status..... thankyou and good night...Its been a bang...We have a serious swinging party happening, wish me luck.......Here i go.....Be Happy...I want the Maxi or Allegro......Whoop whoop......
WTF?
Old Jan 28th 2012, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
WTF?
Saturday night/Sun morn in the UK.... on the piss and no computer breathaliser.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 3:10 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Blimey

Some sound arguments on here. I applaud you gentlemen.

As a middle man in value adding to mining it frustrates me that we as country can't value and further process the minerals others truly exploit.
Power though is just too dear - $11 a gigajoule comported to about $3 in the US.
Perhaps this is why.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...353206811.html
Old Jan 28th 2012, 3:50 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

This is currently happening in the UK, i sincerley hope; i cannot comment as i do not live in Australia currently, but i hope this does not become the case....

QE or Printing Money, dilutes the Pound in your pocket. Inflation may be an indirect tax, but it is very real – the individuals who suffer most from cost of living increases certainly pay a “tax.”

Low and middle income families will suffer the most as they struggle to make ends meet while wealth is literally transferred from the middle class to the wealthy.

The transfer of wealth comes as savers and fixed-income families lose purchasing power, large banks benefit, and corporations receive plush contracts from the government .

These companies use the newly printed money before it circulates, while the middle class is forced to accept it at face value later on.

This becomes a huge hidden tax on the middle class, many of whom never object to government spending in hopes that the political promises will be fulfilled and they will receive some of the goodies.

But surprise – it doesn’t happen. The result instead is higher prices for prescription drugs, Utilities, and other necessities.

The moral of the story is that spending is always a tax.

The inflation tax, though hidden, only makes things worse. Taxing, borrowing, and inflating to satisfy wealth transfers from the middle class to the rich in an effort to pay for profligate government spending, can never make a nation wealthier.

But it will make us all poorer.

But you will never read this tale in your Sun newspaper.....
Spot on. QE is a fancy name for devaluing the pound (or any other currency) by printing more of it. Print twice as many pound notes and they are worth half the value. Which means wages are worth half on the global market place, and it keep you competitive in difficult times.

Of course any decent economist will tell you it is akin to suicide. Savings are trashed, standards of living fall, overseas purchases become expensive, driving inflation etc. It indeed does become a pseudo tax...

Thirty years ago the world laughed at Idi Amin for printing money when he ran out. Now the UK does it.... There is an important lesson there if you look for it.

But the government, as CBL says, wins because it suddenly has a lot more of its new money. The aid money handed out to India (from memory about a billion pounds) is simply printed off. The real cost is to the working man, who finds the quid in his pocket worthless.

Of course inflation is slowing down in the Uk, because QE is on hold. As soon as they start printing again - back up comes the inflation rates...
Old Jan 28th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on. QE is a fancy name for devaluing the pound (or any other currency) by printing more of it. Print twice as many pound notes and they are worth half the value. Which means wages are worth half on the global market place, and it keep you competitive in difficult times.

Of course any decent economist will tell you it is akin to suicide. Savings are trashed, standards of living fall, overseas purchases become expensive, driving inflation etc. It indeed does become a pseudo tax...

Thirty years ago the world laughed at Idi Amin for printing money when he ran out. Now the UK does it.... There is an important lesson there if you look for it.

But the government, as CBL says, wins because it suddenly has a lot more of its new money. The aid money handed out to India (from memory about a billion pounds) is simply printed off. The real cost is to the working man, who finds the quid in his pocket worthless.

Of course inflation is slowing down in the Uk, because QE is on hold. As soon as they start printing again - back up comes the inflation rates...
The worst part is that other countries are pressured to follow suit and it becomes a race to see who can get the most competitive advantage through competitive devaluation. It's another form of protectionism. It's the Great Depression all over again.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 6:47 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

OK. I'll have to take your word for that

Old Jan 28th 2012, 9:54 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

But what we are talking about here is safe havens in troubled times. And to be blunt writing an app or providing financial services isn't where the money is heading.

I follow your argument, but it reminds me of sitting in economics class, and I only have to point through the window to show the reality of the situation. Money is flowing into Australia for a number of reasons. Higher interest rates is one, and the safe haven of minerals is another.

Is no good pointing out to me what you think should be happening, or what could be happening, the proof of the pudding is out there for all to see. It's what is happening.
LOL Good post.

I always think of finance people like weathermen. They tell you what could and should be happening, but until you look out the window yourself you dont know what is really happening.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:13 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
This is a big gripe I have with Australia. It really grinds my gears that we just dig up raw materials, dump them into a boat and sell them off - A particularly good example being uranium.

Adding value by processing uranium ore into usable fuel not only generates a premium product that can be sold at a higher price, but also helps to develop a supporting knowledge industry and infrastructure that further benefits the country.

But no. We just sell the raw product.

S

But to be fair, with current OZ labour rates and current OZ energy rates, its just not economically feasible to do onshore processing.

If labour rates decrease (unlikely) and energy rates decrease (more unlikely), then maybe onshore processing could happen, but I just dont see it.

Would you (and your family / friends / work collegues) be willing to take a paycut to make onshore processing of minerals a reality? (Cos thats what it needs and then some).

so nice idea but not practical. And on the basis of a bird in the hand etc etc..... we will continue to dig up raw materials, dump them into a boat and sell them off.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:26 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Ross Gittings, todays SMH:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/all-h...0127-1qld6.htm

This year we'll see more painful evidence of Australian businesses accepting the new reality: our dollar is likely to stay uncomfortably high for years, even decades.

It has suited a lot of people to believe that just as the resources boom would be a relatively brief affair, so the high dollar it has brought about wouldn't last.

If there were no more to the resources boom than the skyrocketing of world prices for coal and iron ore, that might have been a reasonable expectation. But the extraordinary boom in the construction of new mining facilities makes it a very different story.

The construction boom is likely to run until at least the end of this decade, maybe a lot longer. The pipeline of projects isn't likely to be greatly reduced by any major setback in the world economy. That's particularly because so much of the pipeline is accounted for by the expansion of our capacity to export natural gas. The world's demand for gas is unlikely to diminish.

Again, I rest my case.....
and the pipeline of those projects is already pre-financed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.