Reload this Page >

returning to Uk for university

returning to Uk for university

Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:09 am
Just Joined

SGborn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default returning to Uk for university

Hi all

We are planning to return to the UK at some point for the kids to go to Uni. Someone mentioned to us about continuing our NI contributions for them to qualify as local students so we don't have to worry about the "3-year residency rule". I've looked up NI contributions on HMRC. It talks about all social benefits like pension etc but nothing at all about uni fees and being regarded as local or overseas students.Can anyone give any advice on this or point me in the right website to get this info? Many thanks.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 12:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: returning to Uk for university

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 15th 2012, 12:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's based on residency, not taxes.

Some folks get away with it, most don't.

Cost now, makes no difference really anyway, just ability to get government backed student loans or having to pay up front instead.

This is a subject that has come up loads on BE though, so you'll be able to read the same info again and again.

Welcome to BE though
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:00 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SGborn
Hi all

We are planning to return to the UK at some point for the kids to go to Uni. Someone mentioned to us about continuing our NI contributions for them to qualify as local students so we don't have to worry about the "3-year residency rule". I've looked up NI contributions on HMRC. It talks about all social benefits like pension etc but nothing at all about uni fees and being regarded as local or overseas students.Can anyone give any advice on this or point me in the right website to get this info? Many thanks.
Hi and welcome to BE,

As Bob mentioned it's based on the actual physical residency of the student, not on taxes paid etc. If you do a search on the Moving Back to the UK forum you will see this topic has come up quite a bit.

Here are some threads on the subject to start you off (please bear in mind that fees for "home based" students go up starting in the 2012/13 school year. So some of the earlier posts in threads were made prior to the increase. However residency may impact how a student is able to qualify for government backed student loans):

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690093

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747026

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742385

Welcome again and I hope you enjoy being part of our community
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:14 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SGBorn

Welcome to BE from me too.
University fees etc are a bit of a minefield at the moment but I see Sue has given you the links to find information to help you.

That just leaves me to say all the very best and good luck to your kids on their entry to uni

Dread - x
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:17 am
Just Joined

SGborn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thank for all your advice. It's great to know that you 're all out there to give support and help.

Another question. Anyone out there has the experience of trying to get into a good state secondary school from overseas? Do you know of any state schools that accept an overseas address? I only know of one in Essex, and would like to find others to keep my options open.

I've got 3 kids within 5 yrs of each other and need to settle them all in to school/uni when we return.

Many thanks again.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:44 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank for all your advice. It's great to know that you 're all out there to give support and help.

Another question. Anyone out there has the experience of trying to get into a good state secondary school from overseas? Do you know of any state schools that accept an overseas address? I only know of one in Essex, and would like to find others to keep my options open.

I've got 3 kids within 5 yrs of each other and need to settle them all in to school/uni when we return.

Many thanks again.
I know this has come up in the Moving Back to the UK quite a bit, so if you repost your question there I'm sure people who post there will be able to give you some pointers.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 12:36 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Many thanks again.

This one I can answer.
You will firstly need to establish an address in the UK which you and your children will be living at. If not do you have a relatives address they can live at whilst in the UK until such time as you have a UK address?
Once you know the dates you are moving to that address, you will need to contact the local Education Authority for that area (it is usually in the same place as the County Council), notify them that you will be moving to that address and ask for your children to be given placements at schools within your catchment area.
If you are coming to the UK in advance, it is worth checking out the local schools and asking around. Check the OFSTED website to see where the schools sit in league tables as well.
Approximately 4 weeks prior to the date you would want your children to start school you need to fill in a form and submit it to the Education Authority. If you have checked out the schools in the area you can request which school you want your child enrolled to - but acceptance is based on whether there are any places available, so there is no guarentee you will get the school of your choice. They will then notify you of what school your children are accepted at.
The final stage is to visit the school to register your child and arrange their starting date.

All the best

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; Feb 18th 2012 at 12:45 am.