Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yankee Swap?

Yankee Swap?

Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:37 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yankee Swap?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I can't believe adults do this sort of thing. Can you imagine if you worked in the UK and suggested a Brit Swap or Secret Santa?
What about the secret Santa on the office christmas spesh- when Tim gave Dawn the paints? Sniff!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:16 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
We do a Yankee swap every Christmas at our HOA party...or at the BBQ in the summer...at the BBQ we bring something we don't want anymore...a great way to get rid of the junk you got at Christmas...
At Christmas we do it the same way your place does...but I'm told bringing a gift from around your home is the older way of doing a Yankee swap..
White elephant?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:22 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It'll be my first...and as it's a family event, don't know what to expect *lol*...but it'll hardly be a knee's up like back in blighty where you'd get the bus home afterwards
At my last office party in England, my boss walked around with a box of wine the whole time, he had quite a few boxes of the stuff. He spent the next couple of days with the left over ones sat on his desk as he was trying to drink the rest of them, he would offer wine to anyone who came into our office! He's coming over at the end of next month to stay with us, I can't wait!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:27 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Tbag
Secret Santa at our place, names in a hat, $10 tops to spend and there usually isn't anything secret about it as by the time the party rolls around everyone knows who there secret Santa is. We all ask each other trying to get ideas of what to buy It's quite amusing though to see what other think you might like, I have cats so I inevitably get something with a feline on it which is a nice thought but I'm not quite the crazy cat lady just yet
May I suggest www.elfster.com - that's what we used this year. No one knows who got who, even the organiser doesn't know. You can do a wish list/don't want list & ask anonymous questions to the person you are buying for!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:41 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I can't believe adults do this sort of thing. Can you imagine if you worked in the UK and suggested a Brit Swap or Secret Santa?
They did Secret Santa at my old job in England, it was good fun & we always got lovely presents from each other.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 11:45 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i quite like indoor games however these secret santa's and yankee swap's are just not my cup of tea.
Milk & 2 please poppet!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:59 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
your the American

It's a war zone apparently, well you bring a gift in, and then pick one you want, and if it's crap, swap it with someone else's till every one has a go....different places have different takes on how ya do it, but that's the gist of it.

MIL has a secret santa, and I'd have thought that would be more fun....but they ain't doing that, and they wanted an excuse to have a party at the new digs, big enough office...oh well...
"fraid I've never heard of it before either Bob ...must be a New England thing...like a Yankee Pot Roast, or the New Yankee Workshop...or the NY Yankees...??
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
"fraid I've never heard of it before either Bob ...must be a New England thing...like a Yankee Pot Roast, or the New Yankee Workshop...or the NY Yankees...??
yankee bean pot dinner?

so what's a yankee workshop? or shouldn't I ask?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:44 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
yankee bean pot dinner?

so what's a yankee workshop? or shouldn't I ask?
http://www.newyankee.com/index.shtml

Norm Abrams.... of This Old House fame and the show New Yankee Workshop...
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:26 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

NY YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

My two favorite baseball teams are:
1. The Boston Redsox
2. Anyone who beats the NY Yankees
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What's a Yankee Swap?
I'm married to an American and her family have played it this way since 1950 or so. Get a popular Christmas story book - Toyland Express, say. Write about 24 words used in the book - train, puff, bell, ribbon etc. on a piece of paper. Make about 3 of each word. Distribute to each player at least 3 different words. Then read the story aloud. When a word you have is read you yell the word out. First to yell ( remember 2 o3 others will have the same words) gets to pick a wrapped gift. It must be opened and kept on display. Continue reading and subsequent winning yellers get to open a new gift OR take one opened gift on display in front of another player. THe best gifts are repeatedly stolen from players.Sprinkle some gag gifts in just for fun ( we have some stuff like crab boil mix , funky keyrings and other junk that comes out year after year. It can be a bit cutthroat and younger kids might not get it but we do it every year.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.newyankee.com/index.shtml

Norm Abrams.... of This Old House fame and the show New Yankee Workshop...
what thrilling dvd's he had