British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Yankee Swap? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/yankee-swap-411658/)

Bob Dec 4th 2006 2:08 am

Yankee Swap?

So anyone doing anything like that at work?

What you bringing and what are the rules at yours?

At my place, we're picking a number a number out of a bowl, and that's the order we pick a present, then get to swap it with someone's if we want, and the first person gets the chance to swap at the end. Each person that comes to the party that wants to take part has to bring a gift, ceiling price of $20...even being allowed to bug off early to go get family, but employee's are require to turn up to the party *lol*

So it's all happening this coming Friday, i've never done anything like this, so I bought a couple of Nerf guns as my gift, as there popular at work....wouldn't mind that long shot jobby...anyway, and the missus got a lantern thingy...

AmerLisa Dec 4th 2006 2:34 am

Re: Yankee Swap?

What's a Yankee Swap? :confused:

ladygwennie Dec 4th 2006 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Bob

At my place, we're picking a number a number out of a bowl, and that's the order we pick a present, then get to swap it with someone's if we want, and the first person gets the chance to swap at the end. Each person that comes to the party that wants to take part has to bring a gift, ceiling price of $20...even being allowed to bug off early to go get family, but employee's are require to turn up to the party *lol*

So it's all happening this coming Friday, i've never done anything like this, so I bought a couple of Nerf guns as my gift, as there popular at work....wouldn't mind that long shot jobby...anyway, and the missus got a lantern thingy...

I know secret santa is very popular over here, not heard of anything quite like that before though, be interesting to know what you end up walking away with :rolleyes:

Bob Dec 4th 2006 2:43 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What's a Yankee Swap? :confused:

your the American :D

It's a war zone apparently, well you bring a gift in, and then pick one you want, and if it's crap, swap it with someone else's till every one has a go....different places have different takes on how ya do it, but that's the gist of it.

MIL has a secret santa, and I'd have thought that would be more fun....but they ain't doing that, and they wanted an excuse to have a party at the new digs, big enough office...oh well...

Bob Dec 4th 2006 2:44 am

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
I know secret santa is very popular over here, not heard of anything quite like that before though, be interesting to know what you end up walking away with :rolleyes:

if it's something crap, I won't be happy...there a bunch of artists, so better be somin' cool....thought I'll be really miffed if someone tw@s me over the head with one of the nerf guns :D

ladygwennie Dec 4th 2006 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Bob
if it's something crap, I won't be happy...there a bunch of artists, so better be somin' cool....thought I'll be really miffed if someone tw@s me over the head with one of the nerf guns :D

Nerf guns are fun.. pellet guns are better, especially drunk :beer:

krizzy Dec 4th 2006 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Bob

So it's all happening this coming Friday, I've never done anything like this, so I bought a couple of Nerf guns as my gift, as there popular at work....wouldn't mind that long shot jobby...anyway, and the missus got a lantern thingy...

We do a Yankee swap every Christmas at our HOA party...or at the BBQ in the summer...at the BBQ we bring something we don't want anymore...a great way to get rid of the junk you got at Christmas... :D
At Christmas we do it the same way your place does...but I'm told bringing a gift from around your home is the older way of doing a Yankee swap..

Bob Dec 4th 2006 3:33 am

Nerf guns are fun.. pellet guns are better, especially drunk :beer:

aye true...but around the office, might not be the best idea...nerf won't mark the new walls :D

plus that bazooka one, blimey, that one does sting :D

ladygwennie Dec 4th 2006 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Bob
aye true...but around the office, might not be the best idea...nerf won't mark the new walls :D

plus that bazooka one, blimey, that one does sting :D

Not if you're drunk :D

and on a side note, if it's a good xmas party, you should never be sober at the end of it :)

Bob Dec 4th 2006 4:04 am

and on a side note, if it's a good xmas party, you should never be sober at the end of it :)

It'll be my first...and as it's a family event, don't know what to expect *lol*...but it'll hardly be a knee's up like back in blighty where you'd get the bus home afterwards :D

ladygwennie Dec 4th 2006 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Bob
It'll be my first...and as it's a family event, don't know what to expect *lol*...but it'll hardly be a knee's up like back in blighty where you'd get the bus home afterwards :D

Yeah, ive noticed this here. Although last job hubby had, was a bit of a knees up. A ghetto one (they used an empty basement, which used to be a bar, but was pretty much stripped of the good stuff and was everybody for themselves) lots of alcohol (keg, wine boxes, and some hard liquor). Ended up getting pretty tipsy and going to a bar afterwards. Don't remember much else, although apparently there are pictures somewhere... :scared:

AmerLisa Dec 4th 2006 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
your the American :D

Yeah? :confused: What, you're swapping Americans? Is it like Wife Swap?

Bob Dec 4th 2006 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yeah? :confused: What, you're swapping Americans? Is it like Wife Swap?

well if you haven't heard of these customs, there ain't much help for johnny foreigner having much of a clue....I thought these, along with secret santa's were pretty large work thing around here....I'd certainly never heard of them till I cam here though.

anabella Dec 4th 2006 3:36 pm

Secret Santa is popular in the UK too.. I'd never heard of Yankee Sawp.. I'll ask hubby when he gets home..

Celsius Dec 4th 2006 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

aka Dirty Santa! :)