Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

XE questions - and other banking questions

XE questions - and other banking questions

Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: XE questions - and other banking questions

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i'm really not so sure
Why? Have you performed an inspection?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

The money can be picked up from most UK post offices, travel agents etc ..

Transferring up to $500 ( £250) will cost $9.99.

https://www.emoneygram.com/eMoneyGram/index.do

Originally Posted by Tracym
Guess I'm not alone then.

How does the moneygram work?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Why? Have you performed an inspection?
no thanks, i have my hands full here
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojofilter

]
Sites says $31 0r $15
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

So why would they want to spend $9.99 to transfer 50 quid......... plus the crap exchange rate...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

I'd be more than happy to find a cheaper option .. Please share your wisdom

Originally Posted by Elvira
So why would they want to spend $9.99 to transfer 50 quid......... plus the crap exchange rate...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

used their service at walmart .. cost $9.49

Originally Posted by Ray
Sites says $31 0r $15
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'll take a look at it

Originally Posted by Ray
Sites says $31 0r $15
Hmm.

Originally Posted by Elvira
This problem begins to remind me of my recent experience with the DMV - take my money... don't care how much... just get the stoooopid problem over with. Actually, I'll have to put up the stupid DMV story sometime - trying to get license plates... four phone calls and three visits later...
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I opened XE trade account last year and had nothing to do with employers or credit history. It was very easy. They needed contact details for the banks, is all.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by augigi
I opened XE trade account last year and had nothing to do with employers or credit history. It was very easy. They needed contact details for the banks, is all.
That's what I would have thought - they were practically the Spanish Inquisition for us.

I'll see what they say tomorrow.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:18 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of calling XE trade monday - I am wondering if one uses the draft option, how there's any proof a payment was made.

Is it normal for XE trade to be calling around employers - or running credit checks? Seemed very intrusive to me...
I've used the draft option, and when it comes to proof, well you get an email saying that they have sent it, and then it just turns up between one and two weeks later. So no real proof as it were, but tbh you don't get much better with a wire transfer.

When I signed up for XE trade, I just got asked a couple of questions about what I wanted to use it for, and how much money I was planning to send, nothing about credit checks or employment.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zargof
I've used the draft option, and when it comes to proof, well you get an email saying that they have sent it, and then it just turns up between one and two weeks later. So no real proof as it were, but tbh you don't get much better with a wire transfer.

When I signed up for XE trade, I just got asked a couple of questions about what I wanted to use it for, and how much money I was planning to send, nothing about credit checks or employment.
Thanks.

Either they must have tightened up, or Keith must have sounded like prospective criminal I guess. Or the woman who called is weird. Interestingly, they didn't ask him a thing about how much money or what for or anything like that.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks.

Either they must have tightened up, or Keith must have sounded like prospective criminal I guess. Or the woman who called is weird. Interestingly, they didn't ask him a thing about how much money or what for or anything like that.
Interesting - have had other things to worry about, and haven't followed up on XEtrade.

But Keith tells me he had tried to keep his UK account open - and the bank wouldn't do it. So that's what happened there.