Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

XE questions - and other banking questions

XE questions - and other banking questions

Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: XE questions - and other banking questions

btw in Keith's defense on the banking - I can't think of anything over here that I can't pay with a credit card.

I never use a direct debit, and just about never write a check. I just use a debit card or credit card.

So it wouldn't really have occurred to me that not having a bank account would matter that much, I would have expected to just use a credit card to make a payment if required.

Obviously, I now know that is wrong...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I was considering Paypal. But it appears that the receiving person must also have paypal - or must open an account when the get the email telling them they have a payment. Am I misunderstanding something?

If I don't figure something else out, I may just take you up on that - thanks

Yes, I know (sigh).

I was thinking of calling XE trade monday - I am wondering if one uses the draft option, how there's any proof a payment was made.

Is it normal for XE trade to be calling around employers - or running credit checks? Seemed very intrusive to me...
What XE Trade basically need to do is establish proof that Keith is who he is, and that the source of the funds he will be transferring are legitimate.

Is it possible that, because he has been in the US for only a short time, he does not have sufficient documentation? IIRC we had to provide copies of passports (possibly notarized - not sure...) and original bank statements, plus a verbal explanation of the source of the funds we were transferring (but that was for quite a large sum - this may not be required for routine transfers).

You mentioned that he had difficulty understanding the person.......... maybe (s)he had the same problem...

I would talk to someone 'higher up' the totem pole. I called them a few times when we set up the accounts and found them very helpful.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

OK, it's not just me then - thanks.

I'll ask them monday what the heck is up.

Sounded like she was saying he HAD to be employed full time - which is also bizarre. He is working at a vet nearly full-time, but they were being so odd we didn't really want to let them call his employer.

Wonder what they do if a person is self-employed...

And we don't need an inquiry a credit report for this, that's for sure.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Elvira - That's certainly possible.

I don't see how they even know he's been in the US a short time - they didn't even ask.

But they didn't ask for his passport or anything (we would have been happy to provide that).

aaargh I want to transfer a whole great big 50 GBP lolol.

Guess we'll see what they say on monday.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

btw in Keith's defense on the banking - I can't think of anything over here that I can't pay with a credit card.

I never use a direct debit, and just about never write a check. I just use a debit card or credit card.

So it wouldn't really have occurred to me that not having a bank account would matter that much, I would have expected to just use a credit card to make a payment if required.

Obviously, I now know that is wrong...
Believe me, there will be times when he will need to pay someone in the UK, or someone in the UK will pay him.

Someone comes to visit, CC doesn't work, Keith lends money, person needs to pay him back but does not have a US $ account.

Keith needs to get something or other fixed/done in the UK by a small business that doesnt take cards.

10 years from now you both decide you would like to live in the UK for a while. (Never say never...)

He may come into an inheritance.

20 or 30 years from now, Keith may decide to buy a little holiday cottage in the Outer Hebrides...

Somewhere along the lines he will be very glad if he has a UK bank account.

Last edited by Elvira; Aug 10th 2008 at 2:48 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:47 pm
Homebody

[QUOTE=Tracym;6665570]........we don't need an inquiry a credit report for this, that's for sure.[QUOTE]

But they probably do!

You have to understand that you are basically setting up a bank account, so all the money laundering legislation applies.

But once it's done, it's so easy peasy!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
Believe me, there will be times when he will need to pay someone in the UK, or someone in the UK will pay him.

Someone comes to visit, CC doesn't work, Keith lends money, person needs to pay him back but does not have a US $ account.

Keith needs to get something or other fixed/done in the UK by a small business that doesnt take cards.

10 years from now you both decide you would like to live in the UK for a while. (Never say never...)

He may come into an inheritance.

20 or 30 years from now, Keith may decide to buy a little holiday cottage in the Outer Hebrides...

Somewhere along the lines he will be very glad if he has a UK bank account.
Yes I see that - now.

It's no problem to get paid FROM the UK - I can deposit a UK check in my US bank, no problem at all, no charge.

And I've bought all sorts of stuff from the UK, generally paypal or a credit card works.

Apparently, however, occasionally something doesn't.

As for living in the UK for a bit (well in our case I guess it'd be Scotland) - I wouldn't mind in theory, in practicality it's less likely I think - too much stuff and dogs etc. I went from my old doggy who couldn't have another rabies shot (allergic reaction) to his son who now can't have another vaccination (worse allergic reaction). Ugh.

I am still somewhat amazed, in this global world, that someone doesn't bank at both ends and make this simpler. Perhaps HSBC will be an answer.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Elvira;6665582][QUOTE=Tracym;6665570]........we don't need an inquiry a credit report for this, that's for sure.

But they probably do!

You have to understand that you are basically setting up a bank account, so all the money laundering legislation applies.

But once it's done, it's so easy peasy!
Hmm. Ok, well perhaps fair enough. Interesting how they'll manage that, as they never even asked for his social security number thus far (which would be required for a US check). Which will come up completely blank lol.

Do you know though - if we have them send a draft, how do we ever know if the receiver has received it, and cashed it?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:36 pm
Homebody

[QUOTE=Tracym;6665596][QUOTE=Elvira;6665582]
........we don't need an inquiry a credit report for this, that's for sure.
Hmm. Ok, well perhaps fair enough. Interesting how they'll manage that, as they never even asked for his social security number thus far (which would be required for a US check). Which will come up completely blank lol.

Do you know though - if we have them send a draft, how do we ever know if the receiver has received it, and cashed it?
All sounds a bit weird to me - very different from our experience.

DK about the draft thing - I guess you'd have to rely on the recipient to tell you?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

We've just signed up with them .. Loads of questions, took about 3 weeks and after all of that it's cheaper to go and send a moneygram from walmart ????

It's all very strange
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Elvira;6665685][QUOTE=Tracym;6665596]
Originally Posted by Elvira

All sounds a bit weird to me - very different from our experience.

DK about the draft thing - I guess you'd have to rely on the recipient to tell you?
Seemed wierd to me too - well with the dueling Scottish/Oriental accents, perhaps something got lost in the translation.

Apparently Keith with a Hispanic client at the vets is great entertainment... "Pardon?" "What?" "Pardon?" LOL

Hmm on the draft bit - in this case, that'd probably be fine. But not sure how I'd like that on an ongoing basis - I like to be able to see proof that payment was made. I'll have to see what they say about that as well.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mojofilter
We've just signed up with them .. Loads of questions, took about 3 weeks and after all of that it's cheaper to go and send a moneygram from walmart ????

It's all very strange
Guess I'm not alone then.

How does the moneygram work?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:42 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

aaargh I want to transfer a whole great big 50 GBP lolol.
For 50 quid you are wasting your time anyway. You'll lose about 20% no matter what way you chose to transfer it. Better just letting it sit for a while - will no-one (you know) ever be making a trip back to the UK ??
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojofilter
Loads of questions, took about 3 weeks and after all of that it's cheaper to go and send a moneygram from walmart ????
No it isn't - you must be doing something wrong
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:44 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
No it isn't - you must be doing something wrong
Oh hello Davy.......... long time no see!

(And I agree with you....... moneygrams )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.