Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

X-Ray thingie at the airport

X-Ray thingie at the airport

Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:15 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: X-Ray thingie at the airport

Originally Posted by NSBlake
Elaborate
Read: http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Pri...ven-if/127461/
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
This is about matters very different to being scanned at the airport..........

Oh, and people love to write these articles as it sells their books and they get fellowships at Uni's...........

Is the use of short answers (and therefore not drawing attention to yourself)an attempt to circumnavigate the governments plan to frame you? Damn, I think they might be onto you now, sorry ;-)
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I disagree. No matter how strong the bolt is on the cockpit door, if the stewardess (or whatever they want to be called today) has a gun to her head, the pilot is more likely to open the door. Stop the gun/bomb, or at least reduce the likelihood of one getting aboard and the whole deal is safer.

I still say the for the most part, people with nothing to hide have nothing to worry about. If you're worried that you may get charged duty on the extra litre of booze or carton of cigs, I can assure you that's not what they're looking for.
But it won't, that's the problem. It's just as easy to get a job at a contract cleaning company that clean the planes or prep the food and to slip a bomb in the bogs or in the food trolley and use a barometric switch as the trigger to go off at a certain altitude rather than at a time.

You're also disguarding the whole point they made of having a couple armed marshals on every flight.

The whole thing about the US is peoples freedoms and when they are eroded to nothing, you have no freedoms and you have lost your fight with the oppressor. Not to mention it is impossible to travel with little kids in a smooth manner with these rules and people got on the hump with pissed off kids as it was before hand.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:35 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I understand and agree, but that's NOT what's happening. The scanner doesn't show 'naked images', but outlines and metal!

I disagree. No matter how strong the bolt is on the cockpit door, if the stewardess (or whatever they want to be called today) has a gun to her head, the pilot is more likely to open the door. Stop the gun/bomb, or at least reduce the likelihood of one getting aboard and the whole deal is safer.

I still say the for the most part, people with nothing to hide have nothing to worry about. If you're worried that you may get charged duty on the extra litre of booze or carton of cigs, I can assure you that's not what they're looking for.
The pilot is not opening the door for anything these days. 9-11 won't happen again. The paradigm has changed.

No-one hijacks commercial aircraft with guns or bombs anymore. This isn't the 70s. The back scatter x-ray machine wouldn't have found the underwear bomber's device.
It's all bullshit, for simple minded folk who think the authorities are looking after them.

As to the "you've got nothing to hide" retort - it terms of idiotic sentiments, that has to be in the, oh, top two of all time. Tell that to the Guildford Four, the MacGuire Seven, the Birmingham Six, Jean Charles de Menezes, Stephen Waldorf, etc, etc.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:36 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, fatbrit - you're nailing it time with every post.
<golf clap>
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

This is about matters very different to being scanned at the airport..........

Oh, and people love to write these articles as it sells their books and they get fellowships at Uni's...........

Is the use of short answers (and therefore not drawing attention to yourself)an attempt to circumnavigate the governments plan to frame you? Damn, I think they might be onto you now, sorry ;-)
Thick as...
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Thick as...
LOL - (I'm hiding as well..........)

Seriously, I love all of this - I bet you all live "down south" with tins and tins of food in the basement waiting for it to all kick off and the government to start to use us for fuel! :-)

However, I think Bob lives in MA so I must be "Thick as......"
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:44 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by tonrob
These arseholes are stepping up their random checks on railway platforms by the sound of it. If you opt out, you ain't traveling. I am truly astounded that this kind of shit is allowed to happen.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/28/travel...hes/index.html
It's like the frog in the saucepan. If you chuck a frog into a saucepan of boiling water, he'll leap right out. If you start off with cold water, and gradually increase the temperature, he'll sit there.

People that make excuses and are apologists for this nonsense are blind to history. Can you really be this obtuse? Can you not see where we are heading?
Every time you roll over and accept these measures, they will push further and further. To the apologists, I want to say to hell with you all, and watch and laugh and say "I told you so". But there are still those of us who value freedom and individual liberty. I want my son to grow up in that country.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
It's like the frog in the saucepan. If you chuck a frog into a saucepan of boiling water, he'll leap right out. If you start off with cold water, and gradually increase the temperature, he'll sit there.

People that make excuses and are apologists for this nonsense are blind to history. Can you really be this obtuse? Can you not see where we are heading?
Every time you roll over and accept these measures, they will push further and further. To the apologists, I want to say to hell with you all, and watch and laugh and say "I told you so". But there are still those of us who value freedom and individual liberty. I want my son to grow up in that country.
I just think that you started out with unreasonably high expectations of the United States. Apart from empty rhetoric, there never has been a better chance of freedom and individual liberty in the USA compared to other comparable countries such as western European countries (the United Kingdom being a good example.)
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:50 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of the paradoxes in this country where the emphasis is all about rugged individualism and an intense dislike of Gubmint interference in anything and everything. Yet this is all thrown out the window along with peoples' dignity in a deluded attempt to protect everyone from the boogie man.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

"But there are still those of us who value freedom and individual liberty. I want my son to grow up in that country".

Look at it this way - being scanned allows you to "travel more safely" and enjoy your freedom ;-)

Hey, one of my favourite and also the most worrying films I have seen is V for Vendetta - so I know where you are coming from, but I don't think you can bunch the scanning at airports in with the goverment watching your every move.

I think you either think one way or the other.............in about 20 to 30 years we will find out who was right.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The pilot is not opening the door for anything these days. 9-11 won't happen again. The paradigm has changed.

No-one hijacks commercial aircraft with guns or bombs anymore. This isn't the 70s. The back scatter x-ray machine wouldn't have found the underwear bomber's device.
It's all bullshit, for simple minded folk who think the authorities are looking after them.
Technically the paradigm changes after each attempt as a new stable door is installed.

People look at Richard Reid and I can't remember the name of the underwear guy and think these terrorist are stupid. The foot soldiers are indeed pretty stupid brainwashed pawns. The actual terrorists orchestrating things are pretty smart and we should be wary of underestimating them. But our whole approach is wrong. For every penny the terrorists spend on underwear we spend millions on big flashing lights etc.

The best security is that which you do not see. The behind the scenes intelligence. That's the only thing that will stop them. No one is suggesting getting rid of all airport security, all you really need is standard metal detectors and bomb sniffer dogs all backed up by intelligence.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Technically the paradigm changes after each attempt as a new stable door is installed.

People look at Richard Reid and I can't remember the name of the underwear guy and think these terrorist are stupid. The foot soldiers are indeed pretty stupid brainwashed pawns. The actual terrorists orchestrating things are pretty smart and we should be wary of underestimating them. But our whole approach is wrong. For every penny the terrorists spend on underwear we spend millions on big flashing lights etc.

The best security is that which you do not see. The behind the scenes intelligence. That's the only thing that will stop them. No one is suggesting getting rid of all airport security, all you really need is standard metal detectors and bomb sniffer dogs all backed up by intelligence.

But then you'll have people shouting - "my baby doesn't like dogs" and having hysterical fits............

Also, and I'm assuming this, dogs are much more expensive than TSA staff/agents :-)

Thankfully we are all independent security consultants and know best ;-)
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:09 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

It's funnny isn't it - people are saying that these checks do nothing.......but I prefer to be cautious, perhaps these checks (and I think this is very likely) have put "people" off trying to get explosives etc on board.
Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. We'll never know. The fact that thousands of people are still allowed airside through metal detectors rather than back-scatter machines at many airports simply by choosing which queue to join makes a bit of a mockery of the need for the newer, more invasive technology anyway. They were installed purely to make money and win votes, and not in response to any credible threat that this technology has the capacity to thwart.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:12 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

But then you'll have people shouting - "my baby doesn't like dogs" and having hysterical fits............

Also, and I'm assuming this, dogs are much more expensive than TSA staff/agents :-)

Thankfully we are all independent security consultants and know best ;-)
If the only things holding your argument together are sarcasm and the impossibility of proving negatives then this conversation really isn't worth carrying on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.