Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would you recommend your pc?

Would you recommend your pc?

Old Jan 5th 2005, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

mikeythemikey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Would you recommend your pc?

Originally Posted by dbj1000
It's all very well being a PC user who prefers PCs to Macs, but at least get your facts about Macs right.

Microsoft did invest $150M in Apple... in 1997. At the time Apple was in financial trouble and you may be right that Gates did it to avoid another antitrust case. However, that was 7 years ago. Today Apple is growing faster than any other computer company on earth.

Yes OS X is good. The line about not having the support of apps is weak. The general quality of software for the Mac makes a convert out of almost anyone who uses Apple's iLife suite of applications such as iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie. I know that on a PC you have a choice of 75 software titles for each application you may need to do, but most users would swap them all for ONE with the quality and ease-of-use of an iTunes, for example.

And as for Viruses... having companies try to sell suckers an anti-virus package doesn't mean that there are viruses - it means there are plenty of suckers. There is no known virus loose in the wild for Mac OS X - all those virus definitions that Norton protect Mac users from are Microsoft Macro Viruses which live through the poor security of MS Office on both Macs and PCs. The only real argument for having anti-virus on a Mac is to stop you forwarding infected documents on to your poor virus-riddled PC using friends.

Virus writers can't be bothered to code for the Mac platform? Good! As a user, I don't care WHY there are no Mac viruses. I just care that there aren't any.

With a Mac I now have 100% interoperability with the Windows world in terms of documents. I have no fear of a PC riddled with hidden spyware (70%+ of PCs have one or more spyware package hidden on them - isn't that the official figure right now?). I have no fear of having to rebuild my digital life when it's eaten by today's latest PC virus. Finally, I have the easiest to use, best designed computer on the market.

So I'll live with Apple's 5% market share, its "lack" of software titles and it's "unfamiliar" interface. By all means buy a Dell, but remember that there are other options out there that just could be better in some ways.
I may well stand corrected on the Gates investments. Macs get viruses (certainly OS9), (I presume that MS Office for Mac can execute macros?), thats why apple release security updates to the OS, I'm also quite sure that there will eventually be Mac OS X specific Trojans and viruses, it's just a matter of time, but I very much doubt the Mac OS will ever be as spyware infested as Windows agreed.

"Despite the popular misconception that Mac users aren't affected by the virus plague, Apple customers need to take the virus threat seriously," said Phil Wood, product manager for Sophos Anti-Virus.

Infact, here are known trojans/viruses written for the Mac OSx
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...p3concept.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com...04.trojan.html
http://securityresponse.symantec.com....renepo.b.html

But, all that aside, the OP doesnt want a MAC, it wasnt even suggested and why? because 95% of companies and home users use a Microsoft OS and its Apps, the hardware/software is expensive (30 programs for what winzip does for example, means 30 times the competition for pricing), user base is limited, and Windows is too established. Apple might be growing, but i would think that its thanks to its IPOD - although this is an intersting link http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9330

For the OP, remember Mac OSX needs Mac hardware, Windows XXXX needs generic hardware.

Last edited by mikeythemikey; Jan 5th 2005 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Dell 4600C which I have had for 18 months now without any problems. When I tried to contact their etchnical service on occasions for advice I did get the run round a bit so I dropped a letter to some guy Called Michael at their HQ. Soon got a phone call and eventually $100 refund for the aggro I had had. I have had 2 HP computers and would not take one even if it was offered free. You pays your money you make the choice.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 2:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It would depend on what you intend on using your puter for, for games and hardcore graphics, I wouldn't use Dell, or any of those big names, the puters are shite and even worse to upgrade, and all the shite you get with it, you probably don't need, but if it's your first puter, it's an okay place to start.
Much better to get one custom built to what you'll actually be using it for, be chaeper and get a better machine for the money, can save loads, $400 of parts will get you lot better than double that from dell.

Have a look at www.pricewatch.com for prices at various places.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
It would depend on what you intend on using your puter for, for games and hardcore graphics, I wouldn't use Dell, or any of those big names, the puters are shite and even worse to upgrade, and all the shite you get with it, you probably don't need, but if it's your first puter, it's an okay place to start.
Much better to get one custom built to what you'll actually be using it for, be chaeper and get a better machine for the money, can save loads, $400 of parts will get you lot better than double that from dell.

Have a look at www.pricewatch.com for prices at various places.
bob makes some valid points, as a fairly standard home user, the warranty/support offered by someone like dell might be a better solution. You can buy a decent dell machine with decent upgrade potential (you just have to be clued up). Im not sure about the states, but Dell would also achieve higher economies of scale so certainly for the UK you would be hard pushed to build a machine for much less - check prices carefully.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

You are absolutely correct!

Originally Posted by Dan725
If you know how, you can't beat building your own PC
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:00 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bob]It would depend on what you intend on using your puter for, for games and hardcore graphics, I wouldn't use Dell, or any of those big names, the puters are shite and even worse to upgrade, and all the shite you get with it, you probably don't need, but if it's your first puter, it's an okay place to start.
[QUOTE]

Didn't I already say that, you really are the most redundant poster on here, no wonder you numbers are so high.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Patrick][QUOTE=Bob]It would depend on what you intend on using your puter for, for games and hardcore graphics, I wouldn't use Dell, or any of those big names, the puters are shite and even worse to upgrade, and all the shite you get with it, you probably don't need, but if it's your first puter, it's an okay place to start.

Didn't I already say that, you really are the most redundant poster on here, no wonder you numbers are so high.
Harsh

Dells arent shite, just cheap, corners are cut on the cheaper systems. Most can be upgraded without issue, unless you dont know what youre doing.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:43 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

All I really need the Comp for is surfing the net at home, downloading to my Ipod and stroing the odd digital photogragh. I'm not a gamers and I dont need the PC to do anything fancy in terms of software.

Dell PC Spec:
Interl Celeron 2.4Ghz
Windows XP home edition
512 Ram
keyboard & mouse
80GB hard drive
56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
48x CD-RW
15in Flat Penal Monitor

for $700 inc tax and delivery
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

no mention of video card.. what model is it? 3000, 2400??
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:13 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Video Card - Intel Extreme Graphics 2

The PC is the Dimesion 3000 with an upgraded to the RAM and Hard Drive.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Bushranger is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Dell PC's for our office and laptops. Some work fine and some don't.
My impression and actual experiece of Dell is that all will be well so long as they don't ship you a 'Friday afternoon special' or you need support.

We recently ordered a slaptop/printer/pc for a new employee - we had problems with the laptop from day one. Shipment of parts was slow and disorganised.

They also sent us two printers (instead of the one we ordered) They have yet to ask for it back but given the price of their 'Dell only' cartridges I'm not suprised...
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bushranger
I have Dell PC's for our office and laptops. Some work fine and some don't.
My impression and actual experiece of Dell is that all will be well so long as they don't ship you a 'Friday afternoon special' or you need support.

We recently ordered a slaptop/printer/pc for a new employee - we had problems with the laptop from day one. Shipment of parts was slow and disorganised.

They also sent us two printers (instead of the one we ordered) They have yet to ask for it back but given the price of their 'Dell only' cartridges I'm not suprised...
Yep, we used to get lots of friday afternoon laptops when buying the C-series. Ive bought hundreds of D series laptops last year and we have about 2% develop hardware faults. You seem to get better service the more you buy.. as with anything I guess.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chandler
Video Card - Intel Extreme Graphics 2

The PC is the Dimesion 3000 with an upgraded to the RAM and Hard Drive.

Thats an onboard chip, cant remember but my guess is it uses some of the system ram, not a problem if you arent playing games, but a potential fail point in future as the 3000 has no AGP slot.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:44 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

I have a Dell 8200 desktop which i have had for around 21/2 years with no problems. Mind you it was in boxes for 9 months when we moved over here from the UK. I also had a Dell Inspiron laptop and thats a piece of crap. Cheap build quality lots of problems rubbish. Wouldnt buy a new Dell laptop ever again. I got an IBM T42 Thinkpad recently and its been good the built in wireless is good and works well at school for using the wireless network. Price was good as well as I got student discount by buying through the Uni scheme and got around $900 of the ticket price.

In the UK i had several Gateway computers and I always liked them i upgraded my desktops but never had any problems with any of them and my cousins inherited a lot of them as gifts (self employed tax write off if scrap inside 5 years) they all still run as far as i know.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:22 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

A good deal?

Emachine

Intel Celeron 2.66
256 Ram
60 GB Hard drive
Intel Extreme 3D
Speakers
Moden 56k
Intel PRO 10/100 Ethernet
48x CD-RW
Keyboard and Mouse
XP Home Edition
17in Monitor
Lexmark Color Jetprinter

All for $670 but with $330 mail-in rebates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.