Why the US?

Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:55 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the US?

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Is the UK short on marriage worthy women?
Seems on here at least its nearly all UK men with US women.
Of the group that I went through school / university with I'm the only one I can think of that has married "foreign".

I read an article that scared me in the inflight magazine on the plane when I was moving to Singapore....something like 80% of single men over 25 that lived in Singapore for more than a year would be married before they left. Being in that demographic, and happy to be there, I found that slightly worrying.......a few years later, I was reinforcing the statistic!

Here, I know 4 or 5 couples that have a US male spouse and foreign wife ( the 5th I'm not sure about....he may be canadian)
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Of the group that I went through school / university with I'm the only one I can think of that has married "foreign". ....
Both my best friends from high-school have foreign wives- one married a New Zealander, and the other married a Danish woman and now lives in Denmark.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Bad teeth, bad hair, and a pasty complexion.

And I suppose you are an Adonis.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

And I suppose you are an Adonis.
I sometimes wonder how BE'ers imagine me?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point

I was looking at police per capita figures a few days ago, and in fact there are substantially more police in the UK than the US. In the US there are about 245 police per 100,000 people, whereas in the UK there are about 307/100,000.

But to your point about freedoms, I agree, generally I think the UK is a much freer country, for individuals, than the US.
..but didn't American invent "Freedom"?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I just presume everyone looks like their avatar. That helps avoid unfortunate mental pics.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Britain started sacrificing it's 'freedoms for security' (a phrase so caked in bullshit I don't even know where to begin!) way before the US did imo. Despite the whole NSA spying revelations, at least America is having a conversation about it and partially changing their approach.

The Brits, on the other hand, stuck an ex Foreign Secretary and gentleman who couldn't be more representative of the ruling classes if he tried (Rifkind) to review a department he spent years running! An utter absurdity and affront to democracy. Rifkind is a stooge of the state of the highest merit.

I applaud the Americans for being outraged at what they heard; the idiot Brits care not a jot. I guess that's what happens when the state imposes mass surveillance into everyday life. I am devastated at the surveillance state the UK has become. Just 'offending' people in society now gets plod knocking at the door.

Britain has more in common with the Stasi than they would care to appreciate or realise.
Most Americans I know were outraged when they actually understood the implications of what the NSA were doing - for about 5 minutes. Then they went on to be outraged by the next thing they saw on Fox or CNN.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by AndFinally
Most Americans I know were outraged when they actually understood the implications of what the NSA were doing - for about 5 minutes. Then they went on to be outraged by the next thing they saw on Fox or CNN.
Exactly. One, short emotional reaction and everyone forgot about it.

Freedom of speech is not greater here - there is plenty of self censorship and manipulation of the media by controlling boards representing their vested interests, and it would be naive to think otherwise. Not only that, in my opinion there is far more freedom of thought in the UK.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Exactly. One, short emotional reaction and everyone forgot about it.

Freedom of speech is not greater here - there is plenty of self censorship and manipulation of the media by controlling boards representing their vested interests, and it would be naive to think otherwise. Not only that, in my opinion there is far more freedom of thought in the UK.
The media here is a master at herding the sheep. Mind you the media in the UK is just as bad - just look at how both the UK and USA portray the "uprising" in Syria and of course what's going on in Ukraine.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:44 pm

Most Americans I know were outraged when they actually understood .....
Except they didn't. Many, including some TV commentators, seemed to think that the NSA was (is) listening to, or at least recording, the phone calls.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Except they didn't. Many, including some TV commentators, seemed to think that the NSA was (is) listening to, or at least recording, the phone calls.
You're right, the whole Edward Snowden thing has been incredibly stage managed by the powers that be that control the media. I do think that most people here still believe it's just telephone "metadata" that is be stored rather than everything they do online.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

..but didn't American invent "Freedom"?

How exactly did they manage that though?
Being borne out of the Puritans who left the UK because they didn't like the freedom people had here in the UK.
And they say Americans don't understand irony
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I just think of you as actually being Clarkson. It makes things easier that way.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I just think of you as actually being Clarkson. It makes things easier that way.
My gut doesn't hang over my belt quite as much as his does!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

My gut doesn't hang over my belt quite as much as his does!
May's is even worse. I put that down to all the booze cruises he makes to France with Oz Clarke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.