Why the US?

Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:12 am
Just Joined

mosdefnotabrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why the US?

Hi there.
I'm an American who's taken an interest in all things Brit (blame it on British TV), especially about British folks who emigrate. I've noticed that compared to Americans the British are more well-traveled and seem to move abroad at higher rates.

In the US forums here it seems like many British move out of the UK because they think it's going or gone to sh*t, and the US is a supposed to be a much better option. I find this puzzling because in my biased opinion the problems in America are much worse and not improving by any means. Perhaps similar problems appear worse in the UK due to population density and the smaller overall population, but I can guarantee you that America's no blueberry scone.

As one out of 300+ million Americans, I want to ask the Brits who've moved to the US or are seriously considering it, why America?
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the US?

Quality of life, and all that entails. Lower taxes, lower cost of living, more space, larger house, cheaper cars, better weather, and everyone seems to luuurve my accent! What's not to like? ..... Oh, and my wife is American.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Yeh, we love your accent. Yep~
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

" I want to ask the Brits who've moved to the US or are seriously considering it, why America?"

Many people have come on holiday, or a similar short visit, and because of the positive experience think that life is better over here.
Also many people came via marriage and career.

My opinion...just a harsher, if occasionally more vibrant, shade of green. Far worse if you are poor.

After almost 15 years I'm tired of being here and can't wait to get home as I consider the UK and Europe far more culturally richer. My American wife is also keen to spend the rest of our life exploring the UK and Europe.

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 17th 2014 at 4:28 am.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:28 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is American, we lived in the UK. She said she was returning to Oregon and I could come too, if I wanted. After some thought and deliberation I decided she was too good a cook to lose, so I end up in Oregon.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
" I want to ask the Brits who've moved to the US or are seriously considering it, why America?"

Many people have come on holiday, or a similar short visit, and because of the positive experience think that life is better over here.
Also many people came via marriage and career.

My opinion...just a harsher, if occasionally more vibrant, shade of green. Far worse if you are poor.

After almost 15 years I'm tired of being here and can't wait to get home as I consider the UK and Europe far more culturally richer. My American wife is also keen to spend the rest of our life exploring the UK and Europe.
I think the reverse is true. Americans are ambivalent about class so if you're poor or working class you're better off in the US. In the UK the Poles and Bulgarians and Romanians and whatever is the next Eastern European du jour of the month are getting all the entry level jobs and welfare.

If you are financially independent, you're better off in the UK. The UK countryside that is, you can have London.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hotscot

The US really is Teh Suck if you're not at least middle/upper middle class. Not that being poor in the UK is a cakewalk, but at least over there you don't lose healthcare when you lose a job and go bankrupt because your trip to the ER cost literally 10K+ for a minor issue. This is a major problem - medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy in the US. And this happens even to people who already have health insurance and a decent income. Insanity.

Aside from that, social inequality here is staggering and getting worse. This country is essentially for sale now, and it stuns me that anyone who's not a multimillionaire/billionaire even bothers dreaming of the US anymore.

Last edited by mosdefnotabrit; Apr 17th 2014 at 5:41 am.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tour4fun
weather !!

Sunny Los Angeles
The weather is hellish here. Boring, predictable, far too hot and sunny for too much of the year.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:45 am
Just Joined

I'm in LA too. Too much sun is actually not that great Especially when you live in the valleys! We need that wonderful rain the Brits complain about so much...
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:10 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
<snip>. Americans are ambivalent about class so if you're poor or working class you're better off in the US<snip>.
That bit was a joke, right?
Old Apr 17th 2014, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why (maybe tabloid press), but Britain is going through an identity crisis where the population has decided they are the worst-off, hardest-done-by people in the world and that everything there is wrong, gone to hell and covered in dog shit or 'mats of human excrement' (a post today in the NZ forum). Therefore, every other country must be better. American music, TV and films add to the aura of excitement and Disney holidays seem inexplicably popular, so most people have been to America (Disneyland) and loved it.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Well, the tabloids must be doing a darn good job of brainwashing people. Visiting America is one thing. It's fabulous if you're a tourist. Living here is a completely different ballgame. America does have many awesome things, don't get me wrong. But I find it amusing when so many foreigners still imagine it to be the land of opportunity in this day and age, especially since we have the internet now to bust myths and tell it like it is.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
That bit was a joke, right?
The poor and working class have it worse in Britain. They're being displaced by Eastern Europeans who are being actively recruited by British Businesses.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mosdefnotabrit
Well, the tabloids must be doing a darn good job of brainwashing people. Visiting America is one thing. It's fabulous if you're a tourist. Living here is a completely different ballgame. America does have many awesome things, don't get me wrong. But I find it amusing when so many foreigners still imagine it to be the land of opportunity in this day and age, especially since we have the internet now to bust myths and tell it like it is.
The US will have to modernize eventually so maybe things will balance out in the long run.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:38 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
The poor and working class have it worse in Britain. They're being displaced by Eastern Europeans who are being actively recruited by British Businesses.
At least the UK poor and working class have a decent social security system and NHS to fall back on. The help available in the US is nowhere near as extensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.