Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who's done their taxes yet?

Who's done their taxes yet?

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 12:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's done their taxes yet?

Originally Posted by tiger222
The question is, what does the IRS consider Willfully Evaded?
Something like these cases, perhaps?
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Offshore-Tax-...liance-Efforts

Certainly it's also based on tax due - if there is no tax payable to the US, the average worker overseas, the IRS will review the return without comment.

I know the IRS is more interested in compliance for the average taxpayer, but when back taxes are involved from an overseas taxpayer, a red flag goes up.
It is unlikely that anyone living in a high tax jurisdiction, such as Canada or Australia, will owe significant U.S. taxes, due to the foreign tax credit. To the extent that taxes are owed when a late filing is made, the IRS will assess the standard late filing penalties, interest, etc. But there is absolutely no evidence that the process will go any further than that in everyday cases. The bar for proving wilful tax evasion/fraud is fairly high.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 4:31 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I've never used the online version of TT. The download version allows you to look at all the forms and worksheets, make manual changes, and manually create forms which it will recognized and update any other forms that need your entries. Can the return be printed out so that you can look at the schedules?
No, it does offer an option to print the forms, but then asks for payment before allowing you to do so.

Originally Posted by Michael
Was it downloaded twice or did you manually enter it once and then download it?
I did enter in manually once, but deleted that before I downloaded. As best I can tell it somehow download twice, what caused that to happen I don't know.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

athruz is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering if you anyone can help me. I moved to the States in mid 2013, I have been trying to work out my tax return but to no avail. I am trying to determine whether to file jointly with my wife (and as a result be taxed on worldwide income, as my UK income was fairly low up until I moved).

What I want to know, is can I write the amount that I earned in the UK off on my tax return as I have already been taxed on it, and if so, how do I do this, is it by taking the foreign tax credit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this has been driving me insane for the past month!!!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by athruz
I was wondering if you anyone can help me. I moved to the States in mid 2013, I have been trying to work out my tax return but to no avail. I am trying to determine whether to file jointly with my wife (and as a result be taxed on worldwide income, as my UK income was fairly low up until I moved).

What I want to know, is can I write the amount that I earned in the UK off on my tax return as I have already been taxed on it, and if so, how do I do this, is it by taking the foreign tax credit?
You cannot "write off" your U.K. income. If you file jointly, you must include foreign items for the entire year on your tax return as income, and then any U.K. tax paid can be taken as a credit (use form 1116). You may also need to include a statement electing to be treated as resident for a time you were not.

Or, if you file married/separate (or another eligible filing status, but not married/joint) then you do not have to include non-U.S. income earned before you became tax resident. You include worldwide income only from the time you are tax resident. If you came to the U.S. with an Immigrant Visa, your became tax resident the moment you were admitted as an immigrant, even if you only made the move later on.

If you are completely lost, then you would be best advised to extend your filing deadline using form 4868, which gives you more time to figure it out. However, knowing how to file a U.S. tax return correctly is an essential skill.

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 5th 2014 at 8:52 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

athruz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, JAJ!. Having gone through both ways, I have found that filing jointly is the best way for us. In the process of researching this, I have now found that I don't qualify for the foreign earned income credit (on account of expecting a full refund from HMRC).

Now, the only issue I have is working out how/which line to declare the UK income on form 1040, looking through the instructions, there is nowhere which specifically states this.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

You declare it on the same line that you would it it were US income, eg if it's wages add it to line 7, interest line 8 etc. If you think it will be confusing you can type in "See statement" and at the end include a statement detailing the income (assuming your software will allow it).
Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:45 pm
Banned

winkj4909@gmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tiger222
Hello Winkj4909 -

Congratulations on reading Publication 54 - that's a good first step.

The IRS is offering the Overseas Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP) for US citizens living abroad who are behind in filing their taxes.

I recently wrote a short blog post about OVDP, which may help you.

Be sure you also complete FBAR - via electronic filing - if required.

Good luck
Hi and thanks for the information. I read it is not required to file a FBAR if I don't have over $10,000 at any given time during the tax year. Should I still file it?
Thanks,
JP
Old Apr 26th 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Shame to let a boring thread die.

I see some US expats have already filed their 2013 US return, but some of us are just starting.

The massive spread sheet used to calculate the tax return was fired up in March complete with estimated figures; necessary to establish no tax due for 2013, and hence, no penalties if filed late. It was then put back to sleep.

The last statement from the High Street bank of interest paid in 2013 arrived about a week ago. So, no more excuses to delay. The spread sheet was reactivated yesterday with all figures accurately up to date.

Surprise, surprise; no tax due.

We now start another year of spending hours double checking figures and filling in forms; contributing to the local business economy by using the local shop that runs the FEDEX collection point; giving money to FEDEX who will claim it's "foreign" income on which they will pay no US tax to the IRS; supporting the local economy in Austin since the IRS will pay the salary of some worker who will stick 50 pages of tax info, one by one, onto a reader; all to again inform the IRS that they will not receive even one stinking penny in tax revenue this year,....as usual.

The IRS will once again be informed that the (foreign) savings account at the (foreign) High Street bank down the road from my residence does not contain $50 million of (foreign) unreported funds, and they will not be required to fire up the full vengeance of the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. I'm sure they will be disappointed.....as usual.

And, two weeks from now (if I get with it), I'll again be faced with the largest problem I encounter every year; how do you "attach" 50+ sheets of tax info together? Ever try to drive a staple through 50 sheets of paper? I'm glad I have a simple return therefore no shipping container is needed.

Oh, and HMRC sent the 2013/14 self assessment return last week. Two hours and a first class stamp will be needed sometime in August.

Anyone else still in the process of filing?
Old Apr 26th 2014, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
Shame to let a boring thread die.

I see some US expats have already filed their 2013 US return, but some of us are just starting.

The massive spread sheet used to calculate the tax return was fired up in March complete with estimated figures; necessary to establish no tax due for 2013, and hence, no penalties if filed late. It was then put back to sleep.

The last statement from the High Street bank of interest paid in 2013 arrived about a week ago. So, no more excuses to delay. The spread sheet was reactivated yesterday with all figures accurately up to date.

Surprise, surprise; no tax due.

We now start another year of spending hours double checking figures and filling in forms; contributing to the local business economy by using the local shop that runs the FEDEX collection point; giving money to FEDEX who will claim it's "foreign" income on which they will pay no US tax to the IRS; supporting the local economy in Austin since the IRS will pay the salary of some worker who will stick 50 pages of tax info, one by one, onto a reader; all to again inform the IRS that they will not receive even one stinking penny in tax revenue this year,....as usual.

The IRS will once again be informed that the (foreign) savings account at the (foreign) High Street bank down the road from my residence does not contain $50 million of (foreign) unreported funds, and they will not be required to fire up the full vengeance of the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. I'm sure they will be disappointed.....as usual.

And, two weeks from now (if I get with it), I'll again be faced with the largest problem I encounter every year; how do you "attach" 50+ sheets of tax info together? Ever try to drive a staple through 50 sheets of paper? I'm glad I have a simple return therefore no shipping container is needed.

Oh, and HMRC sent the 2013/14 self assessment return last week. Two hours and a first class stamp will be needed sometime in August.

Anyone else still in the process of filing?
I recommend a Treasury tag as I don't have a stapler big enough either!
Old Apr 26th 2014, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
I recommend a Treasury tag as I don't have a stapler big enough either!
Just the man to answer my question.

I've contemplated using a single hole punch on each sheet, with all pages held together with a Court approved red ribbon from my solicitor; the ribbon held together with some wax; and an impression from my university graduation ring used as the seal.

Is that legal?
Old Apr 26th 2014, 3:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Just the man to answer my question.

I've contemplated using a single hole punch on each sheet, with all pages held together with a Court approved red ribbon from my solicitor; the ribbon held together with some wax; and an impression from my university graduation ring used as the seal.

Is that legal?
The Stanley Bostitch EZ Squeeze 130 Heavy-Duty Stapler has a 130 sheet capacity, so that should work for you even in future years when you'll be filing more sheets.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
The Stanley Bostitch EZ Squeeze 130 Heavy-Duty Stapler has a 130 sheet capacity, so that should work for you even in future years when you'll be filing more sheets.
Could I buy the Stanley Bostitch EZ Squeeze 130 Heavy-Duty Stapler at Waitrose?
Old Apr 26th 2014, 3:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Could I buy the Stanley Bostitch EZ Squeeze 130 Heavy-Duty Stapler at Waitrose?
No, but if you could, you'd get a free newspaper in addition to your free cup of tea.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK, time for honesty. The real concern is for the Health and Safety of the IRS worker putting those sheets, one by one, onto the reader. A staple can be driven through the top portion of the stack, the stack turned over, and a second staple can be driven through the back side. The stack holds together. A take-the-staple-out-remover-thingy can remove the top staple, but part way through the stack, the pointy ends of the bottom staple become exposed, and staples can leave a real nasty cut. I hate to think what the penalty is for wilfully causing injury to the reader operator. Probably $10,000 per source of income per year the injury is visible.

Of course, this is Texas and these are Treasury agents. They'll probably just pull out their side arm and shoot the damned staples off. No Health and Safety concerns.

Or, am I over thinking this?
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

So is that what they do, feed the sheets into a reader? If so, why doesn't the IRS invest in a robust online tax filing front end of its own. Stop relying on commercial companies like TurboTax. Require all tax payers to file online via the IRS system. Charge a reasonable fee ($1,000, say) to tax payers who absolutely insist they must file on paper.

It seems crazy that we transcribe information that is originally digital at some point, fill it in in pen on paper, mail it in, and they then feed it into an OCR reader? What is the US Government, stupid??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.