British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Who's done their taxes yet? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whos-done-their-taxes-yet-821964/)

Bob Jan 16th 2014 6:44 pm

Who's done their taxes yet?

We'll be getting around to it quicker than usual this year as the missus has already gotten her W2's, they normally never came in till February in the past.

Got to wait for the info about student loans and her stock options thingy and don't know if we need anymore because of the ACA, but in the past, MA required a statement of medical cover from your insurance for the state taxes so might need those.

What's really impressive is the state has sent out the tax return forms already this year. They took about 2-3 months last year because they ballsed them up initially.

Going the old fashioned, by hand, on paper route. Anyone else?

Michael Jan 16th 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Who's done their taxes yet?

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11082019)
We'll be getting around to it quicker than usual this year as the missus has already gotten her W2's, they normally never came in till February in the past.

Got to wait for the info about student loans and her stock options thingy and don't know if we need anymore because of the ACA, but in the past, MA required a statement of medical cover from your insurance for the state taxes so might need those.

What's really impressive is the state has sent out the tax return forms already this year. They took about 2-3 months last year because they ballsed them up initially.

Going the old fashioned, by hand, on paper route. Anyone else?

Why don't you use one of the free tax preparation programs (Turbo Tax, Tax Act, etc.) on the internet? They don't have everything but I believe they do the basic stuff and the calculations.

SultanOfSwing Jan 16th 2014 7:13 pm

You're supposed to have your W2 by January 31st (well, postmarked by that date I suppose ...)

Mine came in the mail yesterday, not sure why they didn't just attach it to my paycheck tomorrow morning, presumably so it is shown to be postmarked in January, but anyway - my wife had already been on Turbo Tax over the weekend with our final 2013 pay stubs to get a rough idea of what we'll get.

We'll have ours filed within days of my wife's W2 arriving. Often we have had ours filed, received (and spent, I might add) before the end of January.

Hotscot Jan 16th 2014 7:21 pm

Soon as the W2's come.
Then TurboTax all the way. (business and investments.)

I need to read up on the pesky AMT trap.

NatashaB Jan 16th 2014 7:23 pm

Waiting on W2s here. We ended up owing last year, i'd already mentally spent my refund :( I adjusted my witholdings and am going to claim the study credits this year so hopefully we'll at least break even. We get H&R block to do ours but I was going to have a go at doing it myself with TurboTax, just to see if I get the same numbers. If I just download the software and do a practice run for fun and don't submit it, will that be OK?

Duncan Roberts Jan 16th 2014 7:24 pm

I'll probably start the process today but we haven't got any of the relevant documents yet.

Bink Jan 16th 2014 7:27 pm

Waiting on W2 and my 1099-INT to come in before I can hit submit (turbotax).

They're all done though so I have a pretty good idea of where I stand just need the actual forms to come in, verify my estimates are all correct and change those that need changing and see if that alters it much (unlikely).

I use turbo tax as it stores all my info from previous years, is pretty easy to use and is only $40 or so (I itemize which I believe you can't do with the free EZ file version).

I actually started doing mine back in December - I wanted to make sure I hadn't mis-calculated... I've overpaid substantially in the past and had large refunds and have been trying to keep the withholding closer to the final value.

Speedwell Jan 16th 2014 7:43 pm

Waiting for W-2s. It's just my income and the income from my husband's temp jobs and the last trivial bit of his overseas income; we have no other special income, investments, interest, expenses, deductions, or dependents, and we're filing joint; it should be a walk in the park. No state return to worry about, either.

Not even bothering with TurboTax.

SpoogleDrummer Jan 16th 2014 7:57 pm

I don't have my W-2 yet but I'll probably buy Turbotax whilst it's on sale and be ready. I thought they weren't going to be accepting the returns until sometime in February this year though due to the Government shut down causing a delay so I'm in no rush.

md95065 Jan 16th 2014 8:14 pm

Don't have the W-2 or any of the 1099's yet ...

AmerLisa Jan 16th 2014 8:14 pm

No w-2s as yet and I always use Turbo Tax. The goal for us, every year, is to be even, we don't owe, they don't owe us. Last year we owed them.... :frown: Hopefully I did a better job this year! :fingerscrossed:

Should add that I'm obviously never in a rush, so I sit down and do it and have it done, always, by April 15th!:D

Bink Jan 16th 2014 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 11082178)
No w-2s as yet and I always use Turbo Tax. The goal for us, every year, is to be even, we don't owe, they don't owe us. Last year we owed them.... :frown: Hopefully I did a better job this year! :fingerscrossed:

Should add that I'm obviously never in a rush, so I sit down and do it and have it done, always, by April 15th!:D

How do you try and get it close enough to be even? I find it so hard to predict what I'm actually going to end up at, at the end of the year that although I'm trying to get it closer, I find it really difficult. I'd got it wrong at the beginning of the year this time around and had to adjust my allowances halfway through the year so I didn't end up owing. Between variations in tax brackets, paying less mortgage interest, variations large sales tax purchases (buying a car etc that you can deduct the sales tax for) I've found it's actually quite easy to be out a couple of grand so I tend to be conservative - I don't like writing additional checks to the tax man!

lansbury Jan 16th 2014 8:27 pm

I am waiting until the IRS publish their average exchange rate for 2013. Last year they didn't do so until mid March, so I used the average rate off HMRC site. When the IRS finally published their rate it was 2 cents less to the pound. So this year I am waiting.

AmerLisa Jan 16th 2014 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 11082194)
How do you try and get it close enough to be even? I find it so hard to predict what I'm actually going to end up at, at the end of the year that although I'm trying to get it closer, I find it really difficult. I'd got it wrong at the beginning of the year this time around and had to adjust my allowances halfway through the year so I didn't end up owing. Between variations in tax brackets, paying less mortgage interest, variations large sales tax purchases (buying a car etc that you can deduct the sales tax for) I've found it's actually quite easy to be out a couple of grand so I tend to be conservative - I don't like writing additional checks to the tax man!

Checking throughout the year and adjusting the withholding is all I've had to do. Yes, we've had oopsies (last year) but I really wasn't watching as closely as I should have.

Fatbrit was very good with his advice concerning this.... Sadly we can't call on him for this, but if you go back and do some searching of his posts you may find some helpful information.

Bink Jan 16th 2014 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 11082223)
Checking throughout the year and adjusting the withholding is all I've had to do. Yes, we've had oopsies (last year) but I really wasn't watching as closely as I should have.

Fatbrit was very good with his advice concerning this.... Sadly we can't call on him for this, but if you go back and do some searching of his posts you may find some helpful information.

Thanks. I check probably once a quarter but the way the system is here there are so many things that affect the tax, it's difficult to stay on top of it all. I'll go back through Fatbrit's posts and see what I can find though. :thumbup: