Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Who knows Maryland??

Who knows Maryland??

Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who knows Maryland??

Washington DC has some of the most 'sprawled' suburbs in the Northeast. There are few historic towns sprinkled around here and there - e.g Old Port Alexandria VA, Annapolis MD, Leesburg VA, Frederick MD (bit further afield). Here are some profiles of different areas:

http://beyonddc.com/profiles.shtml

There are an increasing number of 'new urbanist' type developments that might be worth a look that seek to replicate a traditional town core. An example of this would be Gaithersburg (the Kentlands). Rockville I think just built a modern downtown which though mall-like isn't too bad.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:44 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by katjoeuk
Thanks, Guys, for your replies - you're basically confirming what I was thinking....I'll definitely check that city data website, thanks for the tip!

When I said walkable, I didn't mean so much groceries - I'm quite happy to drive to get my groceries as it's usually too much to carry anyway; I was more after something like a High Street with various things and a bit of a city centre feel, but I do realize that in that part of the country, there really aren't a lot of city centres as they are mostly purpose built communities (suburbs).
On the other hand, I'm looking forward to having a relatively nice big house with a bit of land (which is virtually impossible to have here in the UK, unless you really live in the sticks!) I'm going to have to get used to calling it a yard instead of a garden, though....Lots of things I'll have to get used to!!

I think overall, we'll go for commutability over desirable area as I don't want my husband to have to spend ages in the car each day! To be fair, we're pretty homey people anyway - we're usually quite happy to sit on the couch with our two cats, but it was nice here in Cheltenham to have that option of just walking 5 minutes to catch a bus and go downtown (even if we didn't d it very often )
Ididn't know Severn had a waterfront?? Does that not get very muggy in the summer, with loads of mosquitoes etc.? I would love a waterfront location, provided it's not too swampy...

So you think we'd be best of in Columbia for our first 6 weeks? Another option is that Arbors at Arundel in Hanover - or even possibly something a little more interesting like downtown Annapolis or downtown DC. I've been to Baltimore before and didn't really care for it, apart from Fell's Point which I thought was quite charming - but that's a little out of the way for driving around, looking at houses, maybe??
We live in NW DC and really like it. We walk or bike nearly everywhere (pre-schools, restaurants, groceries, Metro). Very international community and great houses with decent yards. Easy to get to both DCA and IAD. PM me if you decide to go down this route.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

katjoeuk will become famous soon enough

So we're just about to book our temp accommodation - a nice big furnished house in Odenton; that should be a good base for our first six weeks to explore that whole area around FM and get a good idea of what's what