Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where should we move?

Where should we move?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:07 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move?

Originally Posted by Bob
New England is a large collection of states, and mostly pretty friendly, it's just Mass that has the sour bunch, especially in Boston, but then you'd get to be a miserable git too if you had to deal with the driving in Boston on a daily basis
Never found Boston that unfriendly (and I go there a fair bit). What it lacks is some of that American charm that certain Brits characterize as being somewhat plastic anyway. It feels more like a British city in that respect. I have to say that I've never noticed a pervading unfriendliness at all in the 4 years I've lived in MA.

Anyway, I'm just a stereotypical miserable British ****er so I probably fit right in!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:45 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien
Thanks again! Ah, such decisions. I've been researching the places that have been mentioned, and the cost of living is extortionate! I was expecting expensive, but yikes. Do the wages compensate for this? And I thought Boulder was expensive.....
In DC for example, to live in the safe area with good schools and nightlife and close in you are competing against a strong 'professional' class with two incomes. In Arlington VA for example, over 35% hold graduate degrees (not just bachelor degrees). I think some statistic showed that something like 1 out of 7 households in the DC area will be hit by Obama's tax the rich plan (with rich being > $250k).

So, yes, the salaries do compensate for some of the expenses, but not necessarily at the 'entry level' of ones career. Many folks out here did their first $35,000 a year type jobs while eating ramen noodles and sharing a house with their mates from college.

There are still cheap areas, and with the housing crash those areas are getting closer to the city, but it can be quite a daunting thing for folks moving here from other parts of the US where the cost of living is a bit more sane.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

San Francisco is very expensive to live in. Seattle is quite expensive.

HOWEVER....

These two cities are both utterly fantastic. They offer a depth of character and cosmopolitan lifestyle that is highly unusual for American cities. Additionally, both offer outstanding outdoor lifestyles, particularly Seattle.

In fact, I think Seattle is one of the finest cities on Earth once you consider all the factors. Good career opportunities, excellent skiing and hiking, proximity to British Columbia and Vancouver (also excellent), and and astonishing array of quality boozers.

Seattle is brilliant, and it doesn't rain that much really. Especially compared to the UK.

I am leaving Seattle for good next week. I'm not happy about that

Go for Seattle!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:23 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
San Francisco is very expensive to live in. Seattle is quite expensive.

HOWEVER....

These two cities are both utterly fantastic. They offer a depth of character and cosmopolitan lifestyle that is highly unusual for American cities. Additionally, both offer outstanding outdoor lifestyles, particularly Seattle.

In fact, I think Seattle is one of the finest cities on Earth once you consider all the factors. Good career opportunities, excellent skiing and hiking, proximity to British Columbia and Vancouver (also excellent), and and astonishing array of quality boozers.

Seattle is brilliant, and it doesn't rain that much really. Especially compared to the UK.

I am leaving Seattle for good next week. I'm not happy about that

Go for Seattle!
Maybe you'll like the place you're moving to.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Maybe you'll like the place you're moving to.
Well, it's either Holland (Breda) or California (Malibu), so you might be right

Anyway, two thumbs up for SF and Seattle. I like Boston for similar reasons.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:32 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's either Holland (Breda) or California (Malibu), so you might be right

Anyway, two thumbs up for SF and Seattle. I like Boston for similar reasons.
It's a week away, you're still not sure whether you're going to Cali or Holland? Nothing like giving you a chance to plan ahead eh?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It's a week away, you're still not sure whether you're going to Cali or Holland? Nothing like giving you a chance to plan ahead eh?
Nothing like waiting for the authorities to decide on your visa

I'm going home to Scotland to relax while they make their mind up!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien
Thanks again! Ah, such decisions. I've been researching the places that have been mentioned, and the cost of living is extortionate! I was expecting expensive, but yikes. Do the wages compensate for this? And I thought Boulder was expensive.....
In Boston? No.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Never found Boston that unfriendly (and I go there a fair bit). What it lacks is some of that American charm that certain Brits characterize as being somewhat plastic anyway. It feels more like a British city in that respect. I have to say that I've never noticed a pervading unfriendliness at all in the 4 years I've lived in MA.

Anyway, I'm just a stereotypical miserable British ****er so I probably fit right in!
Just comparing to my experiences of other parts of NE...in comparison, pretty sour bunch, not everyone, but far more than usual, and the fun ones tend to be imports
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:30 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like waiting for the authorities to decide on your visa

I'm going home to Scotland to relax while they make their mind up!
But what about the steak and egg breakfasts that you were being provided? Won't you miss it?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Scot_in_NYC has a spectacular aura aboutScot_in_NYC has a spectacular aura aboutScot_in_NYC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by penguinsix
(he'll find folks to watch rugby with or a pub full of Rangers or Celtic fans if he wants).
Of course, there are another 40 football teams in Scotland's leagues so he could watch them too if he suppports them......
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scot_in_NYC
Of course, there are another 40 football teams in Scotland's leagues so he could watch them too if he suppports them......
How could he do that? (Setanta only show Rangers and Celtic games).
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mallory
But what about the steak and egg breakfasts that you were being provided? Won't you miss it?
Indeed. As a matter of fact I had an excellent steak and eggs at my local pub in Seattle just yesterday.

Fortunately, I think I am just about capable of cooking a steak and two eggs on my own.

I'm more concerned about missing the cream cheese hotdogs.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starky
Warm? Don't tell me they can get worse than this one! I have to move somewhere warm before next winter! I fell like I am living in the north pole. This is my first boston winter though so I am sure I will get use to it :-)
Yes I have a niece who lives in NH and said they had a heatwave at just over 40 degrees last week. So it seems I was wrong. You can wear a bikini. Just has to be a thermal one

Boston people are 'real' rather than 'rude'... in my honest opinion. I like rude people. You know where you stand.

Boulder... isn't that the place where they filmed that film?? (helpful arn't I). Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? The one where the guy died and his fiance lives with all his friends and finds out things she didn't know. Okay I'll shut up now.