Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where should we move?

Where should we move?

Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

StarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant future
Default Where should we move?

Hi everyone,

I am American and my husband is from Scotland. We've been married and living together stateside for three years. We're currently in Colorado but I graduate from college in May and we want to move somewhere else in America. We only have family ties to ND/MN and don't want to move there

What parts of America are well suited for people that both really miss the UK but can't afford to move back and who want to be able to visit the UK often for least expense?

Colorado is too empty. We don't like that you have to drive 8 hours in any direction to get another major city! So, we are thinking the east coast (as it may be cheaper to fly back to the UK to visit from there) but are really unfamiliar with it.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated! Thanks
Old Mar 9th 2009, 8:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we move?

The East Coast will offer more options to get home, and usually at better prices. NY has the most flights (google the term NY-LON sometime). But it is NY and not exactly the land of starter houses. Washington DC has a pretty large expat community from all over the world (he'll find folks to watch rugby with or a pub full of Rangers or Celtic fans if he wants). Boston is also pretty connected.

But all of them have some negatives too, mainly cost.

Have you made a list of a) what specific things you are looking for and b) how much you can afford?

I'd also recommend http://www.city-data.com/forum for more specifics on certain places.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

StarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant future

Thanks!

I have a short mental list of the things we are looking for:

1- Decent job prospects (not too picky at this point,considering the economy-he has business/office experience and I will have a degree in politics)
2- Large expat community (British or otherwise)
3- Close to or in a metropolitan area
4- Airports near with plenty of UK flights
5- Not overly expensive
6- Good place for children (one day)

I know, I know, it sounds kind of impossible....3 and 5 cancel eachother out but I'm optimistic!

I will go check out that link now....
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Where ever you can get a job with decent medical would be my first concern.

Anyway...yeah, Mass/NH/CT might not be bad, some decent and regular flights to the UK out of Logan.

Shit weather though and not cheap to live in Mass unless you go western really, but house prices have tanked that they are now affordable for those with jobs but unemployment here is pretty massive. It's all relative, cheaper than housing in blighty that's for sure.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:57 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StarlaLorien
Thanks!

I have a short mental list of the things we are looking for:

1- Decent job prospects (not too picky at this point,considering the economy-he has business/office experience and I will have a degree in politics)
2- Large expat community (British or otherwise)
3- Close to or in a metropolitan area
4- Airports near with plenty of UK flights
5- Not overly expensive
6- Good place for children (one day)

I know, I know, it sounds kind of impossible....3 and 5 cancel eachother out but I'm optimistic!

I will go check out that link now....
You might want to look at Atlanta, it's pretty cheap for a big city and there are plenty of flights to LHR and BHX, not sure about elsewhere though. But you might find #2 and #6 lacking.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Just wrote a massive reply and it just went! *($7@39$&(:curse:

short version.... If you're okay with the cold winters, move to the burbs of Boston, MA. If you can't hack those kind of winters (like us wimps who prefer a bikini to a balaclava), then the burbs in the metroplex area of Dallas, TX.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Just wrote a massive reply and it just went! *($7@39$&(:curse:

short version.... If you're okay with the cold winters, move to the burbs of Boston, MA. If you can't hack those kind of winters (like us wimps who prefer a bikini to a balaclava), then the burbs in the metroplex area of Dallas, TX.
It's been a really warm winter this year...
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:03 am
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
It's been a really warm winter this year...
Warm? Don't tell me they can get worse than this one! I have to move somewhere warm before next winter! I fell like I am living in the north pole. This is my first boston winter though so I am sure I will get use to it :-)
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:32 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The DC / Northern Virginia hits nearly all of your points, with the exception of the big one--cost. It's very expensive out here, especially close into the city proper (where the action is). Still, it's quite international and has a rather steady job base with the federal government as the main anchor. You might take a gander at the Washingtonpost.com classified ads for jobs (believe it or not, it's actually a VERY good job site for Washington jobs--highly recommend). It will give you an idea of what types of positions you can find out here. Then head over to realtor.com to get an idea of how far your few $$s will actually go when it comes to housing.

Good luck.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:42 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starky
Warm? Don't tell me they can get worse than this one! I have to move somewhere warm before next winter! I fell like I am living in the north pole. This is my first boston winter though so I am sure I will get use to it :-)
Warm to the locals.

I moved after 20 years in Southern California, where a temperature of 60F has half the population suffering from hypothermia, to Maine in 2003. The following winter was the coldest in a century and you only have to check the weather channel to see a record low of -49F on our first new years day over here.
This winter was relatively warm although it was certainly snowier than usual and I am sick to death of it right now. Mud is next then black fly season, mossie season, thunderstorms and the gradual descent into next winter

Gotta love it really,.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

You'll get used to it...but it really has been a warm winter and there really hasn't been that much snow.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:04 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Warm? Don't tell me they can get worse than this one!
We were just trying to break you in gently!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:12 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Breaking the ice, as they say
Old Mar 10th 2009, 3:44 am
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tonrob
Even on the really cold days it was mostly sunny, days like today have been very few,gray and damp and cold. I just stay and work from home during the snow so I am lucky that I can do that. At least there will be a good summer to look forward to, hopefully.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 3:56 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
You might want to look at Atlanta, it's pretty cheap for a big city and there are plenty of flights to LHR and BHX, not sure about elsewhere though. But you might find #2 and #6 lacking.
Ive met quite a lot of brits in Atlanta - I guess it depends on what you are exactly looking for in a brit expat community....

and the temp hit 86 today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.