Reload this Page >

Dual nationality and travel to UK

Dual nationality and travel to UK

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

lilredjettdiwagon is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dual nationality and travel to UK

Greetings everyone,

I have a unique situation where I am planning to visit UK (to meet my family who will be visiting UK as well) within the next couple of days....

I was born in Bangladesh (hence have Bangladeshi passport with a US Permanent Residency (Green Card)). I have been a British Citizen for almost 15 years or so.

I have searched and read bunch of threads for US/UK citizens traveling to UK (from US) showing US PP while outbound from US and showing UK PP while entering UK and similarly when returning.

But can you guys please provide me with some information if I can do the similar. I would like to show my BD PP (and green card) when leaving US. At this point, they would like to see my UK visa and I would be showing them my UK PP. Upon entering UK, I would obviously show my UK PP. Upon leaving UK, I would show my Green Card and BD PP(?) or GC and UK PP. While entering, I would provide my BD PP along with GC.

I am quite confused. One option I have is to find a Department of Homeland Security personnel and request him to look up what the rule is (prior to actually making the trip).

In no way would I like to break any law. But surely like to visit UK (which I have'nt done for ages).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality and travel to UK

you can leave the USA on whatever passport you wish......

although the airline may require proof you have the right to enter the UK.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc

Thanks Manc for your prompt response. I can understand the logic. It's just that I don't want to go through any hassle, specially while, entering. This is a pleasure trip for week. Have family and job, so can't risk any issues while entering back to US....

My proof of right to enter is my UK PP.

Oh well!! Thanks again
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc

I never get that if dual citizenship is OK why everyone has to be so cloak and dagger about the passports. Is there a reason why you can't just tell people that you are dual cit.

I am sure somebody on here mentioned that when they went through UK passport control they used the UK passport, but mentioned they were dual and asked if they could get the foreign one stamped. That sounds quite sensible to avoid any questions when you get back.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Longy
I never get that if dual citizenship is OK why everyone has to be so cloak and dagger about the passports. Is there a reason why you can't just tell people that you are dual cit.

I am sure somebody on here mentioned that when they went through UK passport control they used the UK passport, but mentioned they were dual and asked if they could get the foreign one stamped. That sounds quite sensible to avoid any questions when you get back.
Longy, that sounds quite sensible. I never thought of that. Thanks a lot!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilredjettdiwagon
Thanks Manc for your prompt response. I can understand the logic. It's just that I don't want to go through any hassle, specially while, entering. This is a pleasure trip for week. Have family and job, so can't risk any issues while entering back to US....

My proof of right to enter is my UK PP.

Oh well!! Thanks again
Most of the concern you've seen discussed here regards dual US citizens. It's the US that is weird about which passport you use, more than any other country. And that only matters if you are also a US citizen.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Most of the concern you've seen discussed here regards dual US citizens. It's the US that is weird about which passport you use, more than any other country. And that only matters if you are also a US citizen.
Thank you meauxna for your reply. You are right about the confusion about dual nationality. More importantly, the law is probably crystal clear but how it is interpreted by the individual handing my case (may it be while leaving or entering US) is the main concern here.

I'd hate to not make the trip but I guess right now, I am trying to contact a couple of guys that I know who work at DHS to see if they can direct me to a proper personnel who can tell me what they expect and/or what I should expect to face. Thanks again!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Dual nationality and travel to UK

One (hopefully) final question. I once stumbled on to a page on the US State Department website where it clearly instructed to use US PP while leaving/entering US and using UK PP while entering/exiting US.

I have spent more than an hour looking for that link/page and failed to do so. Just in case anyone was aware of this page/bookmarked it, could you please post this on this thread?

Thanks a lot!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

One (hopefully) final question. I once stumbled on to a page on the US State Department website where it clearly instructed to use US PP while leaving/entering US and using UK PP while entering/exiting US.

I have spent more than an hour looking for that link/page and failed to do so. Just in case anyone was aware of this page/bookmarked it, could you please post this on this thread?

Thanks a lot!!
Is this what you mean? http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

They mention the other country may require to you to use your passport when entering and exiting that country, but this is not a requirement in the UK as far as I know - certainly not if you are just going for a visit. If you were moving there it would probably make sense to use the UK passport.

But they do insist on you using your US passport in the US. This is not relevant to you as you are not a US citizen.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really understand what there is a problem here. At check-in, show both your passports and your PR card. The airline will clearly see you are here in the US legally, and that will not have a problem entering the UK. Once you reach the UK, I'd show them your UK PP since that's much easier to get through immigration. When leaving the UK, you can show them your PR card and whichever pp you want. Upon entering the US, show them your UK PP (and your Bang. pp if they ask) and your Green Card. You having a UK passport will answer the question about not having an entry stamp.

Is there something I'm missing that the OP fears?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I don't really understand what there is a problem here. At check-in, show both your passports and your PR card. The airline will clearly see you are here in the US legally, and that will not have a problem entering the UK. Once you reach the UK, I'd show them your UK PP since that's much easier to get through immigration. When leaving the UK, you can show them your PR card and whichever pp you want. Upon entering the US, show them your UK PP (and your Bang. pp if they ask) and your Green Card. You having a UK passport will answer the question about not having an entry stamp.

Is there something I'm missing that the OP fears?
I don't know, that's how I would have stated it 9what you wrote). That's basically what OP wrote.. I don't know what the concern is.

That page at State and all other 'dual' discussions here have been centered around US being one of the citizenships.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Dual nationality and travel to UK

Originally Posted by meauxna
I don't know, that's how I would have stated it 9what you wrote). That's basically what OP wrote.. I don't know what the concern is.

That page at State and all other 'dual' discussions here have been centered around US being one of the citizenships.
The concern is mainly the ignorance of the ticketing agent who would be responsible to allow me to board (leave US).

Again, thanks a lot to everyone for providing your feedback.

OK, since I asked the question, I wanted to make sure that what I was being referred here would be what I would be expected to do by the immigration folks here and in UK. Therefore, I asked a gentleman I know who works for the Dept. of Homeland Sec. at the local airport. He suggested that I should talk to the immigration officers at the airport so that I am absolutely sure as to what I am expected to do.

I had the opportunity to talk to a DHS agent, very nice and helpful person. He said exactly what I feared. The nice people at the airlines counter usually get more confused when they see dual nationality and their knowledge is solely limited to the rules that they see on their computer. SO, he said that I should just show my UK PP and my GC to the airline counter here. That would help the ticketing agent to be sure that I have the authorization to enter UK. When entering US, I should definitely show my BD PP and my GC so that I enter return back to US as a BD citizen using my GC.

sunflwrgrl13, the INS agent specifically told me to use my BD PP and GC while entering US as BD PP was used to obtain my GC. I am happy that he asked me which PP I used to obtain perm. res. as that is a pertinent question.

You ask, what I fear? I have three small children and a job here. I don't necessarily enjoy hassle and have heard a lot of stories where people are hassled for no obvious reasons. May be another day, I can share a few of the more interesting ones.

Thanks Longy for the link, but it's another link I was referring to.... Oh, and as you suggested, I will request at London to get my BD PP stamped as well (when entering UK).

Again, thanks a lot, will write to you later with my experience

Last edited by lilredjettdiwagon; Feb 26th 2009 at 7:52 am.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to keep a record of the trip if you plan to apply for citizenship down the road.
You'll be glad you did
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Norri
Don't forget to keep a record of the trip if you plan to apply for citizenship down the road.
You'll be glad you did
Will do. Thanks! Enjoying London after 14 years
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Will do. Thanks! Enjoying London after 14 years
Returned to US day before yesterday. Had a blast going to London after all this time. Drove to a few places in England, then headed to the continent, France, Belgium, a little bit or Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, and then back via France (and Euro Tunnel).

An amazing experience, now back to work.

Again, thanks a lot for all your inputs!!