Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Boston

Where to live in Boston

Old May 18th 2014, 11:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Boston

Originally Posted by mmggff
Thanks guys. This is all really helpful stuff. I don't pretend to understand it all. I think it was Winston Churchill who said that we were,
"Two countries separated by the same language!!."

But I get the feeling that Cambridge is not a good idea AT ALL, because of the awful commute to Waltham.

Thanks also for the Watertown idea. I have had a look there and found a new development called "Watertown Mews". It looks great and I have asked for more details. Does anybody have any inside info on that place?

Also, still send any general info on the main subject if you have any. I am really most grateful for your brilliant insight. It's saving me a lot of time and stopping me making some big mistakes.

Cheers. Mike
I used to live in Belmont, a small town adjacent to Watertown. Watertown's main claim to fame is that it was historically the center of the Armenian diaspora in the US. It has a significant Armenian population and the Armenian cultural center and library. Watertown used to have a major arsenal, i.e. army depot. It closed down about twenty years ago and has been redeveloped as shopping, restaurants etc. another great thing about Watertown is the Charles River path and park system; you can cycle or walk from Watertown all the way down to Cambridge and Boston. Then there's the Mount Auburn Cemetery, in Cambridge just across the border with Watertown. It is the preeminent Victorian era landscaped cemetery in the US. Full of interesting specimen trees and some really interesting monuments. Many famous people buried there, including Mary Baker Eddy (there is apparently a telephone connection to her coffin although no one has succeeded in raising her.)

I don't know of that development, Watertown Mews, but it seems to be in a good location, handy for bus routes, shopping, close to the public library etc.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

I actually like the majority of Bostonians a damn site more than quite a few Brits I used to come across back in the UK...

Do you HAVE to be near the water? Where do you live now? Do you want a downtown atmosphere or more suburban. All of these will also influence your decision making.

Of course, as Bob rightly points out, the actual cost and what your company is willing to pay you is the most important thing.
Old May 21st 2014, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

How about something on the Charles River to satisfy the water view? Runs right through Waltham, where I also work by the way and regularly walk along the Charles River on lunch breaks this time of year

I drive past these every day. Right on the Charles River. Right in Waltham.

http://www.walthamwatchfactory.com/lofts

And I don't recall the name of these apts (I could find out), but right in Waltham, walking distance to bars/restaurants and walking distance to a commuter rail station that'll take you into Boston.

http://goo.gl/maps/Tn0Ja

Last edited by hobbes79; May 21st 2014 at 3:46 pm.