Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Boston

Where to live in Boston

Old May 17th 2014, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

mmggff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Boston

I am going to be working in the US for the next 2 yrs+ and will be moving out to Boston (MA) from Oxford (UK) in July this year.

My wife will be joining me later and I will be working in Waltham, but travelling to sites in New York and Syracuse.

We are 60 yrs old and would like a smart 2 bed (min) 2 bath apartment (preferably with a water/sea view) close to (but not in) the city centre and anticipate having to host the kids and partners when they come out on "free" holidays. It is important to keep the commute to Waltham to a minimum ie less than 30 mins.

We have done a bit of research and quite like the look of the Harbour View apartments in Cambridge, but they have not replied to my enquiry. Any thoughts on that particular apartment place/development?

I will have a chance to have a look around before my wife comes out and we commit to a contract, but I would be grateful for any guidance about the sort of cost (rent + utilities) I would need to get that sort of place in a nice area. It's really difficult to tell from the photographs and my firm is going to give me a fixed budget.

Many thanks, Mike Freer

Last edited by mmggff; May 17th 2014 at 11:58 pm. Reason: refining enquiry
Old May 18th 2014, 12:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Boston

What's your budget?

Commute in Boston is a massive pain if your'e on the road and that's basically what you're doing if you're going to Waltham, which essentially is a bit of a dump.

Anything on Rt 9/20/30, I-95 and the Pike will be car parks in the morning.

Thing is, in Boston, you're looking to put down first, last and 1-3 months worth of rent as deposit on signing plus 1-3 months worth of rent as a realtor fee whether you use one or not and the the market is hopping so they aren't likely to bother if you're not here on the ground, especially as you have no credit history.

Probably looking at $3K for rent on the bay. Rent would include water. Things that may or may not be included would be rubbish collection, electric, heat, snow removal, parking.

Can expect electric to be $50-250 a month depending on season. Heat, if oil around $400 in winter, if gas probably around $100. Parking can be anything from permit on the street to $600 a month if you pay up front.

Want to look at padmapper.com if you want to be able to get to NY, you want to be on the MA Pike or I-95/495 or possibly the train with North/South station.

Watertown, I find a bit souless, but it's a good location. Newton would probably work for you, Lexingon is nice and any of the W's like Wayland, Wellesley and Weston.

If it's got to be in Boston, anywhere along the Red line would be handy, heading out to Davis Square where Tufts Uni is and the like. Though if it's got to be waterfront, along the Charles is probably a better bet but if you want the bay, look at some brownstones in and around Charlestown area. Driving out will just suck though.

Fair few other threads on the area and the burbs though if interested
Old May 18th 2014, 1:08 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

What about somewhere like Arlington or Belmont?
Old May 18th 2014, 10:11 am
Just Joined

That's the point. My company haven't yet told me what the allowance is and I am trying to find out how much I will need.

I am thinking that if I am at Cambridge (or somewhere like that) and working in Waltham, I will be going in the opposite direction to the main flow of traffic during the rush hour, so shouldn't have too many hold ups. Is this right?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Mike

Last edited by mmggff; May 18th 2014 at 10:16 am. Reason: 2nd thoughts
Old May 18th 2014, 12:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Mike, how about Watertown? It's midway between Waltham and Cambridge, and has good public transport links to both. Plenty of nice riverfront developments there, Riverbend on the Charles is one, for instance. Good for the river, shopping in walking distance, several bus routes.

I know you'll need a car, but it's good to be able to get to work by public transport as an alternative.
Old May 18th 2014, 12:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmggff
That's the point. My company haven't yet told me what the allowance is and I am trying to find out how much I will need.

I am thinking that if I am at Cambridge (or somewhere like that) and working in Waltham, I will be going in the opposite direction to the main flow of traffic during the rush hour, so shouldn't have too many hold ups. Is this right?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Mike
A bucket load. Then more. A lot more.

Otherwise, Boston won't be fun, living on the bay, with a nice waterfront view.

And no, traffic is a nightmare.

Only way it won't be is if you're in the burbs, heading away from Boston.

Heading into Waltham will be sucky on the roads. It's a big tech hub with everyone trying to get there and Burlington area for IBM, iRobot, Adobe, Sophos and every other electrical tech outfit you can think of that has a Boston address actually being there.

Good place for a curry though...and randomly, right by the sketchy area that borders the nice bit, there is a Aston Martin dealership.
Old May 18th 2014, 1:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Heading into Waltham will be sucky on the roads. It's a big tech hub with everyone trying to get there and Burlington area for IBM, iRobot, Adobe, Sophos and every other electrical tech outfit you can think of that has a Boston address actually being there.
Unfortunately I'd agree with this. Problem is, approximately half the working population of the Boston conurbation had the same idea - let's live downtown, Cambridge or Boston, and commute to the suburbs!

That why I mentioned public transport. The MBTA has all its route maps and schedules online. Bus route 70, Cambridge - Watertown - Waltham, is frequent and fairly speedy.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of_Clueless$y$t€m_ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
Unfortunately I'd agree with this. Problem is, approximately half the working population of the Boston conurbation had the same idea - let's live downtown, Cambridge or Boston, and commute to the suburbs!

That why I mentioned public transport. The MBTA has all its route maps and schedules online. Bus route 70, Cambridge - Watertown - Waltham, is frequent and fairly speedy.
Bus wankers are a huge downside but then if you're driving you have Massholes to deal with. Either way it's about your tolerance to buffoonery.
Personally I take a bus and the redline for my hour and 15 minute commute as opposed to sitting a similar amount of time on the expressway, moving at 10mph on a good day with every other masshole trying to cut me off.
To the OP..you may have to rethink your commute time to give you more options.
Old May 18th 2014, 3:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It's a good option, that'll suck in the winter....but then so will every other method of commuting
Old May 18th 2014, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

DexterBerkeley is an unknown quantity at this point

Seconded! I used to commute from downtown out to Framingham, it's Mass Pike all the way. To work was a reliable 27-29 minutes for the 20 miles if I left before 7:30. Getting home was different, 45 minutes if everything went well, sometimes over 2 hours if not.
Old May 18th 2014, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by DexterBerkeley
Seconded! I used to commute from downtown out to Framingham, it's Mass Pike all the way. To work was a reliable 27-29 minutes for the 20 miles if I left before 7:30. Getting home was different, 45 minutes if everything went well, sometimes over 2 hours if not.
And there's always a game on for something or other that messes either the roads up, or the public transport...except possibly for the Pats as everyone bombs I-93 but the junction to it is murder.
Old May 18th 2014, 5:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a good option, that'll suck in the winter....but then so will every other method of commuting
That's a problem, certainly. But I'd rather take a bus in miserable winter weather than have to drive! Anyway, Boston area, you have pretty mild winters...
Old May 18th 2014, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys. This is all really helpful stuff. I don't pretend to understand it all. I think it was Winston Churchill who said that we were,
"Two countries separated by the same language!!."

But I get the feeling that Cambridge is not a good idea AT ALL, because of the awful commute to Waltham.

Thanks also for the Watertown idea. I have had a look there and found a new development called "Watertown Mews". It looks great and I have asked for more details. Does anybody have any inside info on that place?

Also, still send any general info on the main subject if you have any. I am really most grateful for your brilliant insight. It's saving me a lot of time and stopping me making some big mistakes.

Cheers. Mike
Old May 18th 2014, 8:59 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmggff
Thanks guys. This is all really helpful stuff. I don't pretend to understand it all. I think it was Winston Churchill who said that we were,
"Two countries separated by the same language!!."
..and he was totally wrong. You will soon find this out for yourself once you live here. Especially since people in Boston are generally the rudest bunch of wankers you'll find in America.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
..and he was totally wrong. You will soon find this out for yourself once you live here. Especially since people in Boston are generally the rudest bunch of wankers you'll find in America.
Bostonians are total pricks, yes, but once you get past that they are lovable pricks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.