Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

adoption on a E2 visa

adoption on a E2 visa

Old May 19th 2014, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

JessicaRev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default adoption on a E2 visa

Hi, we are loving in Florida on a E2 visa. I have twin 3 year old boys and we own our own business and home here. I would love to adopt a young child though, however am I able to do this on the visa we are on as obviously this is not a percent visa as this would be a worry when the child go older that they would be a us citizen and we are not. would we be entitled to apply for a permentant residence in Florida?

I am no longer able to have children due to a complication after my twins birth and would just love the chance to have another baby or child and the boys would love a brother or sister.

I have looked on the internet and varies forums which are other peoples questions however they all seem to contradict themselves so a bit confused

Thanks for your help
Old May 19th 2014, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: adoption on a E2 visa

Originally Posted by JessicaRev
would we be entitled to apply for a permentant residence in Florida?
I don't believe there's any way to go from an E2 to LPR, but even if you can't, presumably any child you adopt would become a UK citizen? So if the business fails or you have to leave the US for another reason, s/he wouldn't have any issues accompanying you back to the UK.

Out of interest, I wonder if the child would be a dual citizen, or would no longer be a US citizen if adopted by foreign parents? Not a clue, but an interesting question for anybody that knows!

Best of luck with the possible adoption, and with the E2 when you've got kids.
Old May 19th 2014, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

There is a thing on one of the websites about getting a family some visa if you have adopted the child for 2 years but having issues trying to figure out if I can apply for this in so many years time on the visa I am on
Old May 19th 2014, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

, and with the E2 when you've got kids. [/QUOTE]

Hi, I an not sure what you mean't by the last thing you said??
Old May 19th 2014, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There is a thing on one of the websites about getting a family some visa if you have adopted the child for 2 years but having issues trying to figure out if I can apply for this in so many years time on the visa I am on
You mean getting the child a visa? If you adopt one from outside the US?
Old May 19th 2014, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

I would want to adopt inside the us due to even more complications with visas
Old May 19th 2014, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just that it's an unusual choice for someone with kids, most wouldn't risk it. Hence the !
Old May 19th 2014, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You mean getting the child a visa? If you adopt one from outside the US?
I think she means that the adoptive child would allow them to get a visa to stay in the US.
Old May 19th 2014, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think she means that the adoptive child would allow them to get a visa to stay in the US.
Ah, I see. But adopting a USC child wouldn't make any difference to the OP's visa status right? Not for 21 years or so anyway.
Old May 19th 2014, 3:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... and with the E2 when you've got kids.
If you and your family is still in the US when they "age out" at 21, unless your children find a way to finagle their own visas, they will be forced to leave the US, presumably to live in the UK, which is a country they have never lived in and may hardly know! ..... Have you considered that, that you may be forced to send your children into exile in a country that is foreign to them?

Last edited by Pulaski; May 19th 2014 at 3:54 pm.
Old May 19th 2014, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, I see. But adopting a USC child wouldn't make any difference to the OP's visa status right? Not for 21 years or so anyway.
I don't know if there is an exception for adoption along the lines Jessica mentions:
The subject of adoption has come up a few times on BE, but I don't recall anyone being on E2.
Old May 19th 2014, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

There is a thing called a family preverence visa which is if you have adopted a child for 2 years or more. But I can not really work out who is entitled to it etc. We are hoping to be here for a long time. But the 21 thing does worry me even with my own children
Old May 19th 2014, 4:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There is a thing called a family preverence visa which is if you have adopted a child for 2 years or more. .....
I think that's the other way round, for a USC adopting a foreign (non-USC) child. A USC child has to be 21 to sponsor their parent(s), and given that adoption law and immigration law are entirely separate matters, I don't see that adopting a USC child would lead to the parents being eligible for permanent residence or US citizenship.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 19th 2014 at 4:25 pm.
Old May 19th 2014, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

I am going to have to look in to this more then and possible speak to an attorney because I don't to mess up our family now and in the future.
Old May 19th 2014, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi again, internet is just full of info about this but not the info I want. Do you know if the adoptive child would be able to sponsor the rest of the family once they hit 21?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.