where do most brits live in chicago

Wikiposts

where do most brits live in chicago

Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:47 am
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where do most brits live in chicago

Originally Posted by ImAFool
All I can tell you is that if some Malcolm Meriwether type wondered into our neighborhood late at night when I was a youngster? He would have staggered out the neighborhood black n blue with his pockets turned inside out.
Oh really, a theif and a scally hey? You really are a fool, and a ass.

Back on track, im currently residing in, Ukranian village of all places.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be quite a healthy contingent of Brits in the Naperville area, it's not unusual for me to pop into the 'ville and hear at least one Brit accent.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:58 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

I know a brit (Dave...is that you?! BCFC?) living in Naperville, and from March I intend to live in one of:

Naperville, Oak Park, Arlington Heights, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, La Grange, Park Ridge or (new to the list cos I have seen some lovely places!) Schaumberg... Am visiting these areas next week to narrow down.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
I know a brit (Dave...is that you?! BCFC?) living in Naperville, and from March I intend to live in one of:

Naperville, Oak Park, Arlington Heights, Downers Grove, Elmhurst, La Grange, Park Ridge or (new to the list cos I have seen some lovely places!) Schaumberg... Am visiting these areas next week to narrow down.
May I add..... Schaumburg.... EWWWWWWW

That would be on the bottom of my list.

Partial to Arlington Heights (but of course I used to live there, so am prejudiced)
Old Dec 5th 2007, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

Partial to Arlington Heights (but of course I used to live there, so am prejudiced)
Is it really that bad Tracy???

My vote is for Long Grove - haven't met any other Brits - but haven't met any Americans yet either (and I've been here 2 months now!!!)
Old Dec 5th 2007, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

YorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ImAFool
All I can tell you is that if some Malcolm Meriwether type wondered into our neighborhood late at night when I was a youngster? He would have staggered out the neighborhood black n blue with his pockets turned inside out. And Marquette Park hasn't changed..Black people don't go in there. They just wont. It's still a crime free zone surrounded by the worst of the worst. Thats due to their aggressive neighborhood watch program that has been passed down from generation to generation there.
Hang on, so you'd beat up strangers and rob them, yet it's a crime free zone? Nice one, dumdum.

I don't get why people are so proud of the rough, craphole areas that they're from. Why be proud to come from somewhere full of insular, thick, crooks?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Zoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of lightZoot is a glorious beacon of light

We're out in St. Charles.

Although I don't personally know of any other Brits, my husband is frequently asked if he works for BP (which he doesn't). I'm sure there are others around but it's not as though there is a "neighborhood" in which all Brits cluster...

BP is in....

Naperville!!!!!!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Is it really that bad Tracy???

My vote is for Long Grove - haven't met any other Brits - but haven't met any Americans yet either (and I've been here 2 months now!!!)
I can't stand Schaumburg. I just go there on occasion for Ikea - but I would never live there. Wall to wall houses and TRAFFIC. And yuppie-ville - no atmosphere or charm whatsoever.

And what - you haven't met any Americans? What am I - chopped liver?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stand Schaumburg. I just go there on occasion for Ikea - but I would never live there. Wall to wall houses and TRAFFIC. And yuppie-ville - no atmosphere or charm whatsoever.

And what - you haven't met any Americans? What am I - chopped liver?
You make me laugh, woman!

I meant I haven't met any Americans from Long Grove!! All my neighbours are from everywhere but here, remember?

Don't be so grumpy!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by keira-2007
You make me laugh, woman!

I meant I haven't met any Americans from Long Grove!! All my neighbours are from everywhere but here, remember?

Don't be so grumpy!
I'm not grumpy.

Wounded.... desolate... forgotten.... insignificant, maybe. But not grumpy.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:29 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Is Schaumberg really that bad? The appartment I have seen there is awesome for only £1200 per month and I am sorely tempted... whilst Id prefer greenery, I think the appartment and it's cheaper may make it worth it...
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lj2
Is Schaumberg really that bad? The appartment I have seen there is awesome for only £1200 per month and I am sorely tempted... whilst Id prefer greenery, I think the appartment and it's cheaper may make it worth it...
Well to each his own.

There might be a reason it's cheaper.

If I remember correctly, you want to get on the train - are there train lines nearby? Doesn't really appear so. And even if close in miles, it could take quite a long time to get to it, at rush hour. The trafic there can be really horrid. I suppose it depends WHERE in Schaumburg. Here's the metra map:

http://metrarail.com/System_map/index.html

Dunno, maybe I'm prejudiced. But I wouldn't live there. Other than lots of shopping, and I suppose crime level is ok, I find the place totally unappealing.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:22 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Still true of some neighborhoods, I'd think.

I would be careful if I didn't know where I was in Chicago.
To wind up in a bad area in Chicago, you really have to make an effort. It's not as if you can wander two blocks off Michigan Avenue and blunder into a war zone. Everything is so gentrified now that even areas like the South Loop, Madison and the Near West Side, Greektown, Hyde Park, Wicker Park etc that were on the edge 10 years ago are now entirely yuppie apartments with Starbucks on every corner. Your average tourist will never get near anywhere vaugely sketchy.

Even if, in the unlikely event it does happen, you wind up in the West or South side at 2 AM, it's not as if you're automatically going to be shot. Chicago's no more dangerous than any other big city for your average tourist and a lot safer than many.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hiro11
To wind up in a bad area in Chicago, you really have to make an effort. It's not as if you can wander two blocks off Michigan Avenue and blunder into a war zone. Everything is so gentrified now that even areas like the South Loop, Madison and the Near West Side, Greektown, Hyde Park, Wicker Park etc that were on the edge 10 years ago are now entirely yuppie apartments with Starbucks on every corner. Your average tourist will never get near anywhere vaugely sketchy.

Even if, in the unlikely event it does happen, you wind up in the West or South side at 2 AM, it's not as if you're automatically going to be shot. Chicago's no more dangerous than any other big city for your average tourist and a lot safer than many.
I grew up in the suburbs, and I worked in Chicago for years and years. Drove all over the place.

Not too much trouble in the loop sure, or many places, but there are still neighborhoods I would NOT want to be in.

No you don't automatically get shot - I'm certainly not saying that. But are there places you could sure come to harm - oh yeah.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Peacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nice

I live in the surburbs in Park Ridge. Its pretty decent here although i've yet to meet any other brits, I only came to the USA 8 months ago. Has anyone got any more info on the brit expat meetup that was mentioned in a previous post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.