Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whch State ? Indiana /Illinois/Ohio or Michigan

Whch State ? Indiana /Illinois/Ohio or Michigan

Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:40 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whch State ? Indiana /Illinois/Ohio or Michigan

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
No. The armpit would be Dayton! For as small as it is Dayton the city is not great, but the 'burbs are. I've lived in suburbs of both and Dayton takes the prize! I'm talking about the actual cities though. I like the 'burbs of both though, but would rather be in Cincy for things to do...restaurants, shopping, museums, etc.
I need to make a correction as to Dayton being the armpit of Ohio. I was informed yesterday by my 20-yr-old son that Toledo is definately the armpit of Ohio.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I need to make a correction as to Dayton being the armpit of Ohio. I was informed yesterday by my 20-yr-old son that Toledo is definately the armpit of Ohio.
That's my hometown! Out of curiosity - your son reached this conclusion based on ... ?

At least we had Lake Erie - I miss being able to go sailing on the Lake living in the southern part of the state.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I think we're all talking to ourselves - the OP hasn't been back, right?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:04 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
That's my hometown! Out of curiosity - your son reached this conclusion based on ... ?

At least we had Lake Erie - I miss being able to go sailing on the Lake living in the southern part of the state.
Notice I posted his age (20). He is looking at things through college-tinted glasses. He said to him it felt like an oversized 'hillbilly' town like the one his grandpa lives in....not my words but his. My father's family is from that area(Toledo & Upper Sandusky), but I do not remember anything about it.

He's been to a fair amount of U.S. cities as a teen/young adult, he lived in Cincy & Dayton, & some of his best friends live in Columbus, Cleveland, and Chicago. Older people will have different criteria than young 20-somethings.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Notice I posted his age (20). He is looking at things through college-tinted glasses. He said to him it felt like an oversized 'hillbilly' town like the one his grandpa lives in....not my words but his. My father's family is from that area(Toledo & Upper Sandusky), but I do not remember anything about it.

He's been to a fair amount of U.S. cities as a teen/young adult, he lived in Cincy & Dayton, & some of his best friends live in Columbus, Cleveland, and Chicago. Older people will have different criteria than young 20-somethings.
True - I lived in Toledo from birth until I was college aged. It likely has less for 20 somethings to do - or he'd have to be a bit more resourceful.

But armpit - ouch!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:38 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't move to Michigan at all right now.
and am looking forward to getting the hell out of dodge in the near future.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I wouldn't move to Michigan at all right now.
and am looking forward to getting the hell out of dodge in the near future.
The title of this thread has made me chuckle from day one. Sure, there are nice things around here. But why anyone would want to move to either of those four states out of their own free will, when they have the choice of an entire country, is beyond me.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
The title of this thread has made me chuckle from day one. Sure, there are nice things around here. But why anyone would want to move to either of those four states out of their own free will, when they have the choice of an entire country, is beyond me.
I'm in those states, and I have the choice of the entire country.

Michigan is lovely imo - just too bad about the economy.

The Chicago area has some things going for it - even lack of some annoyances present in some other parts of the country.

I may move some day though. Dunno where.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in those states too Tracy. And it is the economy I am talking about. I'm pretty sure people aren't looking to invest in a state because of the pretty trees. I wouldn't invest here unless I was into storing my last drinking water in a leaky bucket.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm in those states too Tracy. And it is the economy I am talking about. I'm pretty sure people aren't looking to invest in a state because of the pretty trees. I wouldn't invest here unless I was into storing my last drinking water in a leaky bucket.
Depends upon your circumstances, absolutely. And I agree, I would not invest in Michigan, except in perhaps something very specialized.

Which is sad. Lovely state, and nice people imo.

Chicago area's probably ok for investment though, I would think. I can't talk about the other states.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

catrocks will become famous soon enoughcatrocks will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Cincinnati's pretty nice, not sure why you'd say that.

Just quoting my hubby.... who is from Cincy.

Didn't mean to offend, I was also going to mention the Mistake on the Lake.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

catrocks will become famous soon enoughcatrocks will become famous soon enough

Lol..... Dayton's pretty horrible tho!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tracym
Depends upon your circumstances, absolutely. And I agree, I would not invest in Michigan, except in perhaps something very specialized.

Which is sad. Lovely state, and nice people imo.

Chicago area's probably ok for investment though, I would think. I can't talk about the other states.
The sad part is, with a lot of investments the economy here would probably get a lot better. But who's going to start... (oh wait, the OP? ). I just recently had a co-worker pull his investments out of four homes here (read: he sold them). He was so tired of the little he got out of it that he's now investing in one property in Florida (for the same price). Four houses is peanuts, but if it's part of the snowball it isn't good.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The sad part is, with a lot of investments the economy here would probably get a lot better. But who's going to start... (oh wait, the OP? ). I just recently had a co-worker pull his investments out of four homes here (read: he sold them). He was so tired of the little he got out of it that he's now investing in one property in Florida (for the same price). Four houses is peanuts, but if it's part of the snowball it isn't good.
Yes. I have a second home in Michigan. That little town is doing fine, on the surface.

But those counties have such terrible unemployment...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:22 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Carmel Indiana, about 20 miles north of Indianapolis.

After 3 months here we decided to apply for our Greencards, sold our home in the UK, and bought one here.

Fantastic place - Bloody hot in summer, Bloody freezin in winter, great people, great house prices - Love It!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.