Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whch State ? Indiana /Illinois/Ohio or Michigan

Whch State ? Indiana /Illinois/Ohio or Michigan

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

jason1308 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whch State ? Indiana /Illinois/Ohio or Michigan

We are thinking of relocating to these states, and all of them seem to have pro's and con's but can't decide which one. We are looking to buy a business in one of the state capitals, but live approx 30 - 40 mins away in the suburbs or in a smaller neighbouring city/town.

Can anyone share their experiences of these different states, including what the education is like and the crime etc.

Thank you.

Jason
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whch State ? Indiana /Illinois/Ohio or Michigan

Originally Posted by jason1308
We are looking to buy a business in one of the state capitals, but live approx 30 - 40 mins away in the suburbs or in a smaller neighbouring city/town.
You realize, that at least one of the state capitals is very small as compared to the others which are much larger. Perhaps you think that Chicago is the capital of Illinois... it isn't. Now that I think about it, Lansing, MI isn't all that large either!

Can anyone share their experiences of these different states, including what the education is like and the crime etc.
Google is your friend.

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

We are thinking of relocating to these states, and all of them seem to have pro's and con's but can't decide which one. We are looking to buy a business in one of the state capitals, but live approx 30 - 40 mins away in the suburbs or in a smaller neighbouring city/town.

Thank you.

Jason
Relocating from where?

As far as education, crime, suburbs: all of those states have good schools and bad schools, safe neighborhoods and dangerous neighborhoods, nice suburbs and crummy suburbs.

How about some more clues from you? What sort of business? What do you like to do away from work?

Most important: what is your immigration status in the US?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:05 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Jason
I love Ohio, but I was born and raised here. Look at the Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati burbs. All have pros & cons. You can check out each school systems report card by going to http://ilrc.ode.state.oh.us/ and typing in the district you want info on.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:41 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

ive been in ohio 3 months too and im loving it so far. The weather near columbus isnt too bad. when i see 'feet' of lake effect snow up in michican - we usually on;y get an inch or so. Columbus is growing very fast so its very cosmopolitan. We have been made to feel very welcome. The accent isnt very extreme either. Not part of the bible belt - ot the rust belt!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that Indiana is referred to by the locals as the armpit of the midwest! But gas and taxes are way cheaper than here in Illinois...
I live in IL and have visited the other 3. Can't say that I noticed much difference between Michigan and Ohio. What I've seen of Indiana doesn't make me want to live there.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For info on the places, check out the US lifestyle forum, and search the forum as there's a fair bit of info on some of those states.

But at the end of the day, it'll depend on whether you can get the visa or not, so see how much you can afford to invest in a place and what's going for what, that should limit the search...

And mention what visa you had in mind, E2 ain't that great for families with kids and all that.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Jason
I live mostly in Illinois, part time in Michigan.

Why do you want to live by the capital? As others have said, Chicago is a MUCH larger city than Springfield. Lansing isn't the biggest city in Michgan either. I suppose it's ok, kind of in the middle of the state. Detroit is the big city - but I definitely wouldn't recommend there. I live in the Chicago area btw.

Michigan is much cooler - Illinois is warmer particularly in the summer, more so down by Springfield than up in Chicago btw.

Illinois has a much better economy than Michigan - Michigan is REALLY struggling. I don't know about starting a business there... what kind of business?

Crime, schools, etc. are going to vary wildly across all the states, depending upon where you are. I am a bit leery of Michigan (although personally I love the state) just because the economy is in such bad shape there.

Michigan is absolutely beautify, on the lake side, and more so the more north you get. Illinois is OK, but boring.

What kind of lifestyle are you looking for? Do you want to be near a large city? Live in a country-like setting, but able to get to a city? Realize here, near a major city - one town just blends into another, there is no space between them - it's one big suburban sprawl. So ifyou're thinking you'll have a business in the big city - then drive through the country to your little town, that is not likely. Of course, outside a smaller city, like the capitals.... maybe....
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:08 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Bear in mind that Indiana is referred to by the locals as the armpit of the midwest! But gas and taxes are way cheaper than here in Illinois...
I live in IL and have visited the other 3. Can't say that I noticed much difference between Michigan and Ohio. What I've seen of Indiana doesn't make me want to live there.
FLAT FLAT FLAT BORING FLATNESS

Too damn cold as well
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

Too damn cold as well
darn. I just karma'd you for something serious and then this...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

GoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant futureGoonerIL has a brilliant future

Thank you.

Jason
Out of these states (if you really must stay in the flat cold areas) I would say Illinois. I do not know much about the other states as I have only lived in the Chicago suburbs since moving here but Indiana, Michigan and Ohio seem to have pretty slow economies. I guess it depends on what type of business you want to buy, and where you relocate to (as others have said, Chicago is not the state capitol).

Just my opinion.... and I am sure others will disagree.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Glen Ellyn Service Crew will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MsElui
ive been in ohio 3 months too and im loving it so far. The weather near columbus isnt too bad. when i see 'feet' of lake effect snow up in michican - we usually on;y get an inch or so. Columbus is growing very fast so its very cosmopolitan. We have been made to feel very welcome. The accent isnt very extreme either. Not part of the bible belt - ot the rust belt!
I lived in Columbus for 2 years and though it a safe clean enviroment it is pretty boring, that's too kind really, it's very boring. I moved to the Chicagoland area and it is much better here.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:03 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Dec '07 Unemployment
Illinois - 5.5%
Indiana - 4.6%
Michigan - 7.6%
Ohio - 6.0%

Not sure if that would factor into your decision making or not.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:08 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You realize, that at least one of the state capitals is very small as compared to the others which are much larger. Perhaps you think that Chicago is the capital of Illinois... it isn't. Now that I think about it, Lansing, MI isn't all that large either!

Google is your friend.

Ian
Lansing really isn't that big, and a lot of the money seems to go into the neighbouring town of East Lansing, mainly because that's where all the students who go to MSU are. Grand Rapids and Detroit are much larger cities though.
But as others have said, the Michigan economy is very weak right now, to the point where British Airways are stopping their daily flight into DTW, because they're losing money on the route.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

Too damn cold as well
I have to drive through some fairly decent hills that are adjacent to the Mississppi, between Dubuque, IA & Galena, IL on Hwy 20 in order to get to work. These hills are referred to. by the locals, as the "Illinois Rockies." Apparently, the glaciers by-passed this area.

Really warm from Spring to Fall, but, it is rather "fresh" outside at the moment.

Edit: What type of business are you hoping to buy, by the way??? And, are you already in the country, legally???

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Jan 25th 2008 at 1:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.