Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whch State ? Indiana /Illinois/Ohio or Michigan

Whch State ? Indiana /Illinois/Ohio or Michigan

Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

catrocks will become famous soon enoughcatrocks will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Whch State ? Indiana /Illinois/Ohio or Michigan

I've also heard Cincinnati described as the Armpit of Ohio.

The thing with the main cities in Ohio (Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus) is that they are not that big..... and there's not much going on downtown. It's very different from European cities - the main things to do seem to be in the suburbs (example - I live right by the Dayton mall, but Dayton itself is 25 mins drive away).

So, it would depend what you were looking for, as far as cities go. I've not been to any of the other states you mentioned (apart from driving through), but I would think Chicago would be better than anywhere else around here.

Like other have said though, all this depends on your immigration status and your eligibility for a visa.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:05 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catrocks

The thing with the main cities in Ohio (Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus) is that they are not that big..... and there's not much going on downtown. It's very different from European cities - the main things to do seem to be in the suburbs (example - I live right by the Dayton mall, but Dayton itself is 25 mins drive away).

So, it would depend what you were looking for, as far as cities go. I've not been to any of the other states you mentioned (apart from driving through), but I would think Chicago would be better than anywhere else around here.

Like other have said though, all this depends on your immigration status and your eligibility for a visa.

No. The armpit would be Dayton! For as small as it is Dayton the city is not great, but the 'burbs are. I've lived in suburbs of both and Dayton takes the prize! I'm talking about the actual cities though. I like the 'burbs of both though, but would rather be in Cincy for things to do...restaurants, shopping, museums, etc.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Jan 25th 2008 at 2:08 am.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:09 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I love Ohio, but I was born and raised here. Look at the Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati burbs. All have pros & cons. You can check out each school systems report card by going to http://ilrc.ode.state.oh.us/ and typing in the district you want info on.

Cleveland? Known fondly in the mid-west as The Mistake By the Lake lol.

But seriously. Michigan is, if I am not mistaken, the most depressed economy in the US and it doesn't look as though it is going to get any better and time soon. The old saying has resurfaced of late - will the last one to leave michigan please turn out the lights! Go figure.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:19 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with either Columbus, OH or Indianapolis, IN. Both are emerging cities with great city centers. I particularly like Indianapolis because it's in a great place logistically speaking. There is no other state like Indiana where major roads converge like any other. For that reason they call Indiana the Crossroads State of America. The reason I force importance on this aspect is that your business might depend on it. Also there is a great school district east of the city that is fantastic. Also, Indianapolis is also featured a lot in Most Affordable cities to live. I'd recommend that you go on holiday to both and get a good feel for them.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Cross Michigan off your list, the economy is crap job market is crap, taxes are out stupidly high.

We've given up, the bank is foreclosing on our home, we made the decision to let them take it as its been on the market for 18 months with only a couple of 'lookers' at the very beginning. Its worth $75,000 less now than it was when we first marketed it. Its time to move on 176 days till we move to Alaska
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:02 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
Cross Michigan off your list, the economy is crap job market is crap, taxes are out stupidly high.

We've given up, the bank is foreclosing on our home, we made the decision to let them take it as its been on the market for 18 months with only a couple of 'lookers' at the very beginning. Its worth $75,000 less now than it was when we first marketed it. Its time to move on 176 days till we move to Alaska
Damn.

Alaska is cool though. I've always wanted to go there.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:10 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catrocks
Cincinnati's pretty nice, not sure why you'd say that.

Cleveland gets an underserved bad rap, IMO. Most people I've talked to who actually live there like it. 30 Rock even did an episode last year about how unexpectedly nice Cleveland is...

Detroit is a mess, but some of the suburbs are really nice. It depends what you can afford.

Columbus is terrific. I used to go there freqently on business and was always impressed with it as a nice, livable medium-sized city. Downtown is actually happening and there's lots to do. It has surprisingly good food and culture too. Also, the presence of the the absolutely massive Ohio State gives the city a young and vibrant atmosphere. One of the underrated midwest cities, IMO.

Never been in Indianapolis. Most people equate Indiana with Gary around here, but I'm been in parts that are truly beautiful. Again, it depends where you are.
The thing with the main cities in Ohio (Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus) is that they are not that big..... and there's not much going on downtown.
True, but not in Columbus, in my experience.

I would think Chicago would be better than anywhere else around here.
...you wont get any argument from me on this one...
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:11 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Cincinnati's pretty nice, not sure why you'd say that.

Cleveland gets an underserved bad rap, IMO. Most people I've talked to who actually live there like it. 30 Rock even did an episode last year about how unexpectedly nice Cleveland is...

Detroit is a mess, but some of the suburbs are really nice. It depends what you can afford.

Columbus is terrific. I used to go there freqently on business and was always impressed with it as a nice, livable medium-sized city. Downtown is actually happening and there's lots to do. It has surprisingly good food and culture too. Also, the presence of the the absolutely massive Ohio State gives the city a young and vibrant atmosphere. One of the underrated midwest cities, IMO.

Never been in Indianapolis. Most people equate Indiana with Gary around here, but I'm been in parts that are truly beautiful. Again, it depends where you are.
True, but not in Columbus, in my experience.

...you wont get any argument from me on this one...
I've heard the same about Cleveland, although I've never lived there...just visits. My cousin was raised around Cincy and took a job there after he left law school. He later moved back to Cincy with his firm's office and really regretted it.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:34 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Damn.

Alaska is cool though. I've always wanted to go there.
Me too, ever since I saw the Simpons movie lol. I did try to convince Mrs Sod that we should homestead up there when I first arrived but, alas, they no longer give away free land and my feet get cold really easily. Oh well.........
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:45 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Me too, ever since I saw the Simpons movie lol. I did try to convince Mrs Sod that we should homestead up there when I first arrived but, alas, they no longer give away free land and my feet get cold really easily. Oh well.........
And you thought Michigan was culture shock....
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:49 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Hey, there's that nice oil paycheck they get up in those parts. $$$
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:49 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
And you thought Michigan was culture shock....
Hell ABY, Michigan is culture shock for an American !
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

last year oil divvies were about $1,650 per person for the year, avg millage is about 11mils we're currently paying 23mil. No state tax , low sales tax in cities. The Alaskan economy is on the up. Its time for a change
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Hell ABY, Michigan is culture shock for an American !
I absolutely adore Michigan. It's beautiful, and I generally like the people.

The economy however...
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jason1308
We are thinking of relocating to these states, and all of them seem to have pro's and con's but can't decide which one. We are looking to buy a business in one of the state capitals, but live approx 30 - 40 mins away in the suburbs or in a smaller neighbouring city/town.

Can anyone share their experiences of these different states, including what the education is like and the crime etc.

Thank you.

Jason
I was born and raised in Ohio. Grew up in Toledo - 5 miles south of Michigan and today live in Cincinnati - about 15 minutes north of Kentucky.

Ohio's not a bad place to live on the whole - here are some pros and cons for the cities and state that I've lived in:

Pros:
Good cost of living
Good universities
In the cities there are good career opportunities (probably like everywhere else)
Lots of festivals
Friendly people
A bit slower, more laid back, polite (we just had a candidate from NY in interviewing who couldn't get over the difference)

Cons:
Insular (many people have lived here their whole life and don't intend to move, and haven't been very far away. In Toledo everyone was desperate to get out. In Cincinnati I've found that most of the natives love it here and don't wish to leave. Either way - it can be a bit tough to break in - this is not a transient population.)
Not as sexy as other destinations perhaps (no mountains, no beach)
Cold winters (very cold here right now ... brrr)

As for Cincinnati - one thing I like about this city (that's different from Toledo where I grew up) is that individual neighborhoods have distinct personalities, town squares, local businesses and shops, etc. It's not just a series of soul-less suburbs ... or at least not for the most part. It's hilly, generally a pretty place. Several companies are headquartered here (Procter & Gamble, Kroger, Fifth Third bank) and a slew of others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.