Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your LEAST favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Likely in response to an incident of some kind that you never heard about.

Yeah...particularly this one: "Because it's my constitutional right."
It was when we first moved to the US...so you could be right. The school sent the letter out every year.

Or 'because guns make it safer'.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Elvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really nice

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It was such a non-argument at the best of times. A cursory look at these very forums will show plenty of born and bred Americans who don't much care for guns, for crying out loud. For that matter, if you don't like rain, don't live in Seattle. See, I can do it too ...

Guns, in and of themselves - are only tools - they are not the problem. It is the glorification, almost to the point of fanaticism of them and the often cavalier attitude that many (not all, I hasten to add) gun ownership advocates have with regards to using them to take a life, that I, personally, have a problem with. The argument that guns make us safer is also, I feel, a bit of a flawed one, but whatever.

I never equated rain to guns and only made that statement to debunk simplifying complex issues.

I totally agree with you on the fact that guns are tools. Guns can also be part of a hobby, such as fly fishing rods and cars can be. In the case of guns and cars, many people die in the operation of both. Neither have ever killed anyone. It's the person behind the wheel or pulling the trigger that kills.

The immense majority of gun owners are not gun nuts and don't worship them nor are fanatics about the issue.

I agree that guns don't necessarily make anyone safer. As I stated before, that's highly dependent on many factors and situations.

Who said that no born and bred Americans had a problem with gun ownership? I did not say that. It is obvious that many American born people have a problem with them. That's why some parts of the U.S. have stricter gun laws than several European countries. You live in one of those: Illinois.
I never even attempted to make that point.

And yes, I don't want to live in Seattle because of the rain and I can't do anything about the rainfall there. So I just don't live there We are blessed to have such a diversity of climates to suit pretty much every taste.

I wasn't saying that ONLY in the U.S. can you voice your opinion... you can do that in most of the world of course...

Originally Posted by cluedweasel

My wife still can't see properly out of her right eye after being punched by someone for voicing the opinion that the UK health care system is superior to the US one.

Dude, where in the heck do you live and what kind of retards do you associate with??

Last edited by Elvatoloko; Aug 22nd 2012 at 10:00 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvatoloko
I never equated rain to guns and only made that statement to debunk simplifying complex issues.

I totally agree with you on the fact that guns are tools. Guns can also be part of a hobby, such as fly fishing rods and cars can be. In the case of guns and cars, many people die in the operation of both. Neither have ever killed anyone. It's the person behind the wheel or pulling the trigger that kills.

The immense majority of gun owners are not gun nuts and don't worship them nor are fanatics about the issue.

I agree that guns don't necessarily make anyone safer. As I stated before, that's highly dependent on many factors and situations.

Who said that no born and bred Americans had a problem with gun ownership? I did not say that. It is obvious that many American born people have a problem with them. That's why some parts of the U.S. have stricter gun laws than several European countries. You live in one of those: Illinois.
I never even attempted to make that point.

And yes, I don't want to live in Seattle because of the rain and I can't do anything about the rainfall there. So I just don't live there We are blessed to have such a diversity of climates to suit pretty much every taste.

I wasn't saying that ONLY in the U.S. can you voice your opinion... you can do that in most of the world of course...

Dude, where in the heck do you live and what kind of retards do you associate with??
One can only point out the flaws in arguments one hears (not necessarily yours, I hasten to point out, you cheeky little narcissist, you ...)

That's the thing about silent majorities. You can't hear them ...
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Really?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
To my amazement, Seattle gets a higher annual rainfall than Manchester (first surprise), but less than the GB average (second surprise).

well put, its the fetishistic view of them.
Manchester is usually the one that gets picked on but it isn't even the rainiest city in the UK. There are quite a few UK cities that get more rain.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:12 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Really?
retards, I am not shocked anymore, it just makes me laugh.
Poor Elvatoloko, he can not do a single post without some cultural faux pas. (It gets me worried about what I sound like to the locals)
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

cappedup is on a distinguished road

Manchester is usually the one that gets picked on but it isn't even the rainiest city in the UK. There are quite a few UK cities that get more rain.
I always thought it was Ennerdale in the Lakes, but with the recent crazy weather, it could be anywhere.

Re guns. I was in a shop buying fishing tackle and the guy said that guns make the country safer. I suggested that the annual country wide death toll was more than the population of the town we were in, or half of all the US people killed in Vietnam didnt seem to me to make the country safer. If guns made the place safe, no one would get shot. But loads of people get shot. I cant remember his reaction, my wife pretty much frog marched me out of there.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:17 am
Just Joined

Elvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really niceElvatoloko is just really nice

retards, I am not shocked anymore, it just makes me laugh.
Poor Elvatoloko, he can not do a single post without some cultural faux pas. (It gets me worried about what I sound like to the locals)
This is quite funny, see some good comes out of this, we are both laughing.

Why would you be shocked? I'm the narcissist and you are?...the guardian of 'American culture" I suppose to label my words 'cultural faux pas'...

Don't pity me, I'm quite all right believe it or not and have no use for anyone's pity. I do just fine without being PC. Maybe it's because of the environment I evolve in...who knows?

Who are these locals you constantly refer to? I think I may be one of them...
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:28 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you be shocked?
To many Brits 'retard' is just not a word used in polite society, it used to shock me until I realized it did not carry the same weight over here, but it still sounds odd and a bit funny to my ears.

A bit like the word 'spaz' that Tiger Woods had to make an apology for when he used the word during the Masters.

I'm the narcissist and you are?...the guardian of 'American culture" I suppose to label my words 'cultural faux pas'...
I did not call you are a narcissist.

Its Brit culture, so I suppose I am one of 60+ million guardians of Brit culture, its in British culture that it is a faux pas. We are on a Brit expat site.

You are VA I am WA, so far from being local.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

This is quite funny, see some good comes out of this, we are both laughing.

Why would you be shocked? I'm the narcissist and you are?...the guardian of 'American culture" I suppose to label my words 'cultural faux pas'...

Don't pity me, I'm quite all right believe it or not and have no use for anyone's pity. I do just fine without being PC. Maybe it's because of the environment I evolve in...who knows?

Kimilseung was pointing out that it is a faux pas on a British site - although some Americans (like Amerlisa) don't like it either.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:48 am
Just Joined

To many Brits 'retard' is just not a word used in polite society, it used to shock me until I realized it did not carry the same weight over here, but it still sounds odd and a bit funny to my ears.

A bit like the word 'spaz' that Tiger Woods had to make an apology for when he used the word during the Masters.

I did not call you are a narcissist.

Its Brit culture, so I suppose I am one of 60+ million guardians of Brit culture, its in British culture that it is a faux pas. We are on a Brit expat site.

You are VA I am WA, so far from being local.
All right, you didn't call me a narcissist, but someone did. I didn't say it was you.

I'm glad you pointed the retard thing out to me. I will now be careful around people from GB, I will try not to use the word 'retard' anymore. I learned something today and I truly thank you for that.

You're absolutely right, it is a British expat site. I guess I came to learn something and I did. This is fascinating.

As far as the local thing goes, I guess that strictly locally speaking, in my locality at least, I am a local indeed. I wasn't saying that I was a local in WA.

This is good stuff.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Kimilseung was pointing out that it is a faux pas on a British site - although some Americans (like Amerlisa) don't like it either.
Sure, I apologize, can't please everyone. Nor should anyone try, as trying to please everyone is a hallmark of failure to come.

Last edited by Elvatoloko; Aug 23rd 2012 at 2:54 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived here for 14 years now. I generally like it but I've heard people complain about many different issues. Here are some of the things that irk me:

- dealing with health insurance and health coverage issues
- totally broken immigration system (too many illegal immigrants, too much family class immigration, not enough skilled worker immigration, etc.)
- a relative lack of culture (too many homogeneous cities and suburbs)
- the political system (total gridlock where nothing gets done; especially with a 2 party system)
- the absence of a social safety net (lose your job and you're likely weeks from living on the street)
- "at will" employment
- poor public transportation
- pedestrian unfriendly
- relatively high crime and murder rates (guns, gangs, etc)
- urban blight and poverty on a scale rarely seen in other developed countries
looks like England to be honest given what you have put, but whole heatedly agree with every single point and have added a few myself.

1..I hate, detest, despise loath dislike the AT WILL STATES. and how they abuse that position. Michigan along with a few others are just that..AT WILL, no excuse is required to get rid of you, so much as burp and they dont like like it because you failed to say excuse me....trivial I know, but I have been here for a year, my business is getting stonewalled every corner I turn and all the jobs I have applied for I have been more than qualified for and not one thanks but no thanks letter or email....One company in particular is the worst to work for I hear is Menards similar to BIG W when it was around in England, they employ people usually 10 at a time and bang on the 59th day, 9 have been let go...Pure abuse of the system.

2..The taxation system is a bit of a joke. There is a tax for just about everything..A nation that disapproved of the taxation prior to 1776 go and introduce a tax for tax method....I joke with my wife and her family over it and its all good, father in law is totally on my side...lol

3..Michigan has a mandatory insurance, and its only Michigan so I have been told. Mandatory PPI personal protection insurance for your car, this adds around $200 to the bill.

4..Certain insurance companies dont do monthly auto pay methods, you have to pay by check and every 3 months, huge chunk of money gone by then if we cant save a bit each fortnight!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

trying to please everyone is a hallmark of failure to come.
Indeed
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's definitely on par with cooling someone a mong.

I'm pretty sure that's a no-no, even here...??...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.