Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favourite American chain restaurant ??

What's your favourite American chain restaurant ??

Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:57 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favourite American chain restaurant ??

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I used to feel the same way...rolling my eyes at people with a twang reckoning they must be doing it on purpose...I think if you manage to return to the U.k often enough then you prob brush up on your accent... i don't do that, I've been talking with and around American's everyday for 10 years...why would i steadfastly refuse to use American words? it's a pain in the butt repeating yourself on a regular basis.

but I know what you mean about some people...when we went Inter-railing years ago we bumped into a bunch of American's and one of my girlfriends after about 2 hours was talking with a ridiculous American accent...we didn't half take the piss out of her
I do it because I don't want to be an American & I want to retain my Britishness!!! I refuse to change, I like the way I am right now & I also don't plan on living here for long anyway.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:12 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

besides...I think all the sheep got scared and moved out after Rushmans last visit :scared:
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:16 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

roll my r's
Can I watch you roll your r's in tight jeans preferably
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:17 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I do it because I don't want to be an American & I want to retain my Britishness!!! I refuse to change, I like the way I am right now & I also don't plan on living here for long anyway.
I'm guessing your hubby is a Brit then and you got dragged here kicking and screaming due to a can't refuse work deal?

I actually got dragged here kicking and screaming and had a very similar attitude for a while...it just made me miserable..besides I fell in love with an American and my kids are American's and "gulp" I'm probably gonna be here quite a bit longer
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:19 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
There is nothing more annoying than an American whose Ancestors (five or six Generations ago) came over to the USA on a boat from Ireland.....and listen to them try and put on an Irish Accent as if it is their own normal way of speaking!
Jim.

I have a black aquaitance who insists she's from Irish roots
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:20 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I ain't speakin' with no american accent...I use their words when here as I'm tired of repeating myself..lol even a scouse accent seems posh to this lot...here they can't pronounce their t's..a neighbour is called Patty an they call her Paddy...dunno funny lot, they sure a sh** do not speak english ..dunno strange mixture of everything here, gotta larfff at them
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Thydney

haha what a laugh...a man yesterday 'just loved my accent' and said he was 1/4 english
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:29 am
Not dead yet

I always tell people that they don't speak English in the US they speak American which although similar are far from the same. As for speaking yank I do to an extent as I would speak Spanish in Spain or Miami not to do so is akin to speaking English loudly and slowly at Johnny Foreigner.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:33 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing your hubby is a Brit then and you got dragged here kicking and screaming due to a can't refuse work deal?

I actually got dragged here kicking and screaming and had a very similar attitude for a while...it just made me miserable..besides I fell in love with an American and my kids are American's and "gulp" I'm probably gonna be here quite a bit longer
Nope, I'm married to an American!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:34 am
Account Closed

I always tell people that they don't speak English in the US they speak American which although similar are far from the same. As for speaking yank I do to an extent as I would speak Spanish in Spain or Miami not to do so is akin to speaking English loudly and slowly at Johnny Foreigner.

yeah I say they speak american english....I hate the high pitched voice of the american women...they kinda screech well they do here
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar
Nope, I'm married to an American!

me to for my sins
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:37 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
I ain't speakin' with no american accent...
pmsl double negative...I hope you are taking the piss

how long have you been here? I bet you already have a texan drawl
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:39 am
Back Again

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yeah I say they speak american english....I hate the high pitched voice of the american women...they kinda screech well they do here
uh not all of them but I know what you mean ...I just got off the phone with a gal with a hideous voice...amazing how some of them manage to reach adulthood without being strangled
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:57 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

If owning a Red Setter was good enough for Jack Charlton....
Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:04 am
Account Closed

pmsl double negative...I hope you are taking the piss

how long have you been here? I bet you already have a texan drawl
hiya, yep I use double negs all the time..and nope I certainly do not have a drawl..lol I drool sometimes over my man but no drawl for me . My man speaks and uses english words and people are quite surprised when asked he replies he's a texan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.