Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite thing about the US?

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Old Jun 4th 2012, 6:42 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by lansbury
This looks like it could be my new favorite website
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
And sliced soooooo thin.

There will be an expedition now to track down Irish Back Bacon
You've got to have a Wholefoods nearby? Can't have a pretentious town without one

Expensive, but often pretty decent and thick cut, even if not "Irish" bacon, though they do usually have that too.

Wegmans, I've found do the best pork banger for reasonable money, though Trader Joes aren't bad either.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:38 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You've got to have a Wholefoods nearby? Can't have a pretentious town without one

Expensive, but often pretty decent and thick cut, even if not "Irish" bacon, though they do usually have that too.

Wegmans, I've found do the best pork banger for reasonable money, though Trader Joes aren't bad either.
There is a planned assault this weekend to track down decent bacon and pork sossies. I have a couple of places I was going to try and we also have a trader Joes (I think) near us, so i will look there as well.

At least I know what I'm looking for now. I was beginning to think "bacon" reffered to a different animal in the US or something.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There is a planned assault this weekend to track down decent bacon and pork sossies. I have a couple of places I was going to try and we also have a trader Joes (I think) near us, so i will look there as well.
For Trader Joes, they have Bavarian Breakfast links, which are basically chipolatas and they do a really awesome breakfast, Irish pork banger around Paddy's Day, annoyingly, but their other sausages are pretty good, for sensible money...though you've got to wade through a rather large selection of chicken sausages to find them usually.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Bob
though you've got to wade through a rather large selection of chicken sausages to find them usually.
Chicken.... sausages?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Chicken.... sausages?
What's my favorite thing about the US...just about every thing, I love America and love the Yanks, I go back to Yorkshire every few years as most of my families still there, but I can never wait to get back here, Florida is about the only place I don't care for yet the Brits rave about it, they spend two weeks in Florida go back and think they've seen the whole US, they can't see beyond Florida .

My sisters come over to visit always looking around to find fault with something, they end up going back just bitching about the bacon...so sad, but funny too.

The only time England looks good to me is when I watch Doc Martin.

Ps. I can get all the English bacon I want from the British shop in the next town to me but I don't tell my sisters that when they come as I like to here them bitch about it....so funny

Last edited by Ruth16; Jun 8th 2012 at 2:11 am.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:15 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruth16
What's my favorite thing about the US...just about every thing, I love America and love the Yanks, I go back to Yorkshire every few years as most of my families still there, but I can never wait to get back here, Florida is about the only place I don't care for yet the Brits rave about it, they spend two weeks in Florida go back and think they've seen the whole US, they can't see beyond Florida .

My sisters come over to visit always looking around to find fault with something, they end up going back just bitching about the bacon...so sad, but funny too.

The only time England looks good to me is when I watch Doc Martin.

Ps. I can get all the English bacon I want from the British shop in the next town to me but I don't tell my sisters that when they come as I like to here them bitch about it....so funny
Of course they complain about the bacon. It's shit.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Of course they complain about the bacon. It's shit.
I like it.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:25 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I like it.
I can scarcely articulate my disappointment . Only half a bottle of HP can make it palatable and even then the smell of it cooking makes me gag.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Chicken.... sausages?
Some of them are actually surprisingly good. They have a chipolte one that's amazing and also a mango one that's great.

They aren't really breakfast sausages though and don't make the best of sarnies, but they are still worth trying out.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I like it.
I don't mind it these days, the thick cut stuff at least is pretty good.

It does make a shit and unsatisfying sarnie though....bacon buttie or a BLT, just not the same.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I can scarcely articulate my disappointment . Only half a bottle of HP can make it palatable and even then the smell of it cooking makes me gag.
I'm with you there mate !!

Sometimes my GF gets bacon ends and pieces, they come in a 5lB box I think you can get them at Safeway. Choose a good one, you have to cut some of the fat off but it's the closest, ( and cheapest ) to UK bacon.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:35 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
I'm with you there mate !!

Sometimes my GF gets bacon ends and pieces, they come in a 5lB box I think you can get them at Safeway. Choose a good one, you have to cut some of the fat off but it's the closest, ( and cheapest ) to UK bacon.
My wife got a big bag of thick cut stuff recently that wasn't too bad. Not as smoked as the usual kind and therefore less offensive.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda silly to call it my 'favorite' thing, but since everyone seems to be going on about food, I have to say I've recently discovered two utterly delightful foods here ...

1) crab. Though I've lived in the bay area for 25+ years, it wasn't till I started spending most of my time in AZ (work related) that I discovered the delights of Dungeness Crab on return visits - specifically the way the Chinese prepare it ("R&G Lounge" in Chinatown being a perfect example), and even better, the Vietnamese ("PPQ Dungeness Crab" in the Richmond district being the best example), but even the 'Crab House' on Pier 39! And then I got to spend time in Alaska and Florida, and discovered snow crab, stone crab, and king crab legs ... absolutely awesome! It's stuff like this that makes me think I can never leave the bay area ...

2) Southwestern cuisine. I'm like a kid in a candy store here in Scottdale, trying out all the amazing southwestern fare. Fish Tacos, Pork Adovado, and many other wonders. And my absolute favorite - Pork Posole - a sort-of pork stew with 'hominy' . It's stuff like this that makes me realize I can can be happy in Arizona ...
Old Jun 8th 2012, 7:43 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Kinda silly to call it my 'favorite' thing, but since everyone seems to be going on about food, I have to say I've recently discovered two utterly delightful foods here ...

1) crab. Though I've lived in the bay area for 25+ years, it wasn't till I started spending most of my time in AZ (work related) that I discovered the delights of Dungeness Crab on return visits - specifically the way the Chinese prepare it ("R&G Lounge" in Chinatown being a perfect example), and even better, the Vietnamese ("PPQ Dungeness Crab" in the Richmond district being the best example), but even the 'Crab House' on Pier 39! And then I got to spend time in Alaska and Florida, and discovered snow crab, stone crab, and king crab legs ... absolutely awesome! It's stuff like this that makes me think I can never leave the bay area ...

2) Southwestern cuisine. I'm like a kid in a candy store here in Scottdale, trying out all the amazing southwestern fare. Fish Tacos, Pork Adovado, and many other wonders. And my absolute favorite - Pork Posole - a sort-of pork stew with 'hominy' . It's stuff like this that makes me realize I can can be happy in Arizona ...
Dungeness crab Even good in a cold salad. Caught some on the nehalem bay with a buddy. Lots of fun in a small boat zipping around the small bay pulling up crab pots here and there. Cooking can be a bit of a messy chore however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.