British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What's your favorite thing about the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/whats-your-favorite-thing-about-us-754489/)

cjreisen Apr 10th 2012 10:17 pm

What's your favorite thing about the US?

Just curious as to what everyone loves about the USA here! I'm new to this forum, but I'd love to hear what all of you have to say! I always read about what people dislike, now I'd like to hear the positives. What can I say, I am an optimist :cool:

CAdreaming Apr 10th 2012 10:19 pm

Re: What's your favorite thing about the US?

Originally Posted by cjreisen (Post 9999165)
Just curious as to what everyone loves about the USA here! I'm new to this forum, but I'd love to hear what all of you have to say! I always read about what people dislike, now I'd like to hear the positives. What can I say, I am an optimist :cool:

the friendliness of the people....the coffee and half & half

Trixie_b Apr 10th 2012 10:22 pm

my husband :)

Jerseygirl Apr 10th 2012 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 9999174)
my husband :)

The Lewiston Bridge crossing into Canada...second favourite is Newark Airport. :D

kimilseung Apr 10th 2012 10:24 pm

The...er....er......hang on......er......be with you in a minute........
ah yes......the freedom and bravery.

katybluewater Apr 10th 2012 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9999178)

hahahaha - love this!

ian-mstm Apr 10th 2012 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by cjreisen (Post 9999165)
Just curious as to what everyone loves about the USA here! I'm new to this forum, but I'd love to hear what all of you have to say!

I like living in Kentucky... I like having the right to carry a firearm pretty much whenever I want, and I like not needing a front license plate on my car!

Ian

cjreisen Apr 10th 2012 10:47 pm

And I thought Americans were immature haha.

Come on you guys, be serious. No need for such blatant pessimism, especially when you're as lucky as you are.

lisa67 Apr 10th 2012 10:47 pm

I like the weather and the space as well as the experiences and opportunities my kids have had here that they would never have had in the Uk :)

Jerseygirl Apr 10th 2012 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by cjreisen (Post 9999207)
And I thought Americans were immature haha.

Come on you guys, be serious. No need for such blatant pessimism, especially when you're as lucky as you are.

Several of us are Americans.

cjreisen Apr 10th 2012 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9999212)
Several of us are Americans.

That's beside the point.

kimilseung Apr 10th 2012 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by cjreisen (Post 9999215)
That's beside the point.

What do you like about it?

Jerseygirl Apr 10th 2012 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by cjreisen (Post 9999215)
That's beside the point.

No it's not...you said 'Americans were immature'.

;) Just pulling your chain...you'll get used to the sense of humour on here.

:welcome: to BE.

SATX John Apr 10th 2012 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9999178)

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9999205)
I like living in Kentucky... I like having the right to carry a firearm pretty much whenever I want, and I like not needing a front license plate on my car!

Ian

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 9999210)
I like the weather and the space as well as the experiences and opportunities my kids have had here that they would never have had in the Uk :)

These are things my kids and wife love. Mainly the freedom to do what you want on your own property / land / house.

More space, lots of room to explore. Ditto on the opportunities for the kids growing up. My wife mentions that constantly.

cjreisen Apr 10th 2012 11:01 pm

Haha, ok, I am sorry to have judged too quickly, I did think it was funny though! Except, Newark is the worst NY metro airport, I prefer LaGuardia, especially since its so close to my apartment on the upper east side! $20 taxi ride? I'll take it!

And what I like about the US is the diversity in every aspect of life. You can experience any climate you like, you can see people of any ethnicity or origin, you can move to 2000 miles away and still be in the same land mass. I love the fact that there is something for everyone here, if you want something and haven't found it, you just haven't looked hard enough. I like the economical diversity, you can visibly see the economical differences in cities as close as NYC, Boston, Washington DC, and Philadelphia. I like the diversity of architecture, how you can see completely different architecture in New England, The Pac Northwest, The Southwest, The mountains, and the southeast. There's just so much diversity here, and I love it. Especially diversity of accents, I love to hear the different American accents.