Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Whats the rudest thing that's been said to you?

Wikiposts

Whats the rudest thing that's been said to you?

Old May 17th 2005, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Whats the rudest thing that's been said to you?

In the run up to the election, MANY Americans asked me how I felt seeing people vote and what it was like to live in a democracy.

When a comedian on TV makes a joke about the President, I've been told "I betcha you can't say that about your Queen!"

Even colleagues who've spent time living in the UK, and really should know better, constantly go on about how terrible English food is.

I had one guy once tell me that England was proof that communism doesn't work!

Several infuriatingly ignorant discussions about Northern Ireland.

The continuing cliche that the English all have terrible teeth.
Old May 17th 2005, 6:36 am
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

I was told "You English speak funny".
Old May 17th 2005, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
I had one guy once tell me that England was proof that communism doesn't work!
Old May 17th 2005, 6:50 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Heard this on many occasions too. After being here about a year and a half total time, I am really starting to miss, the individual owned country pubs and one of a kind restaurants. Not sure why it is the Americans think food is awful in the UK, I think there is more variety than there is here.

All the US chain places are great when you first get here, but by god are they dull now. All the same, no variety. Sure, you can find some individuality if you try, but more often than not it seems the food comes from the same places as the chains.

Did manage to find a cracking Indian about 40 miles away though, happy days!
Any American town or city has some family run, independent, non-chain restaurants. It just takes some research to find the gems, even in the Tampa area

NC Penguin
Old May 17th 2005, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
The rudest question I was asked was 'I hear the food in England is just awful?'
The worst thing was that we were at her bar-be-que where all that she had to offer was hot dogs and hamburgers! I have never gone to a bar-be-que in England and just been offered that crap. We took loads of good beer with us but everyone was drinking soda and sitting round making extremely polite conversation. I was at a loss for words.

I also have a friend that is a published chef, she remarked that the food on her trip to Ireland was 'surprisingly' good.
Old May 17th 2005, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

The worst thing was that we were at her bar-be-que where all that she had to offer was hot dogs and hamburgers! I have never gone to a bar-be-que in England and just been offered that crap. We took loads of good beer with us but everyone was drinking soda and sitting round making extremely polite conversation. I was at a loss for words.
Snap!

My husband's boss invited us to a grill out at his house the week after we moved here. I asked should I bring anything and he said no he had lots of stuff. When we got there we had 2 hot dogs each served with sliced tomato and cucumber and soda. I was absolutely flabbergasted, I was expecting steak, chicken, ribs and a table full of salad stuff like we used to have in England. Not to mention as much beer as you could drink I can still remember the look on the faces of my husband and the kids when they realised that 2 hot dogs was all they were getting. The whole event was over in an hour. His boss thanked us for going and said what a great night he had had.
Old May 17th 2005, 7:46 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Snap!

My husband's boss invited us to a grill out at his house the week after we moved here. I asked should I bring anything and he said no he had lots of stuff. When we got there we had 2 hot dogs each served with sliced tomato and cucumber and soda. I was absolutely flabbergasted, I was expecting steak, chicken, ribs and a table full of salad stuff like we used to have in England. Not to mention as much beer as you could drink I can still remember the look on the faces of my husband and the kids when they realised that 2 hot dogs was all they were getting. The whole event was over in an hour. His boss thanked us for going and said what a great night he had had.
Hehe! A BBQ like the two of you are describing would start a riot down here.
Old May 17th 2005, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Hehe! A BBQ like the two of you are describing would start a riot down here.
God I knew I was living in the wrong bloody state!
Old May 17th 2005, 7:53 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

God I knew I was living in the wrong bloody state!
Yeah, and this isn't even real BBQ land. But in NM, any nasties can be offset with a good tequila and some green chile. Try Tennessee, or Kentucky if you really want BBQ. The Texans think they know how, but in reality they have much to learn.
Old May 17th 2005, 8:00 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Yeah, and this isn't even real BBQ land. But in NM, any nasties can be offset with a good tequila and some green chile. Try Tennessee, or Kentucky if you really want BBQ. The Texans think they know how, but in reality they have much to learn.
Don't forget NC barbecue! Pork rules! No offence to any Muslims or Jews.

This is the book I have, The Best Tar Heel Barbecue.

NC Penguin
Old May 17th 2005, 8:08 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

You guys need to get your butts round to Bored-silly's place. She does a mean barbeque
Old May 17th 2005, 8:49 am
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

I also have a friend that is a published chef, she remarked that the food on her trip to Ireland was 'surprisingly' good.

I had the same thing happen to me Lisa. I took beers to a BBQ and I was offered fruit tea, everyone is drinking fruit tea I was told. They all raved about the food and it was burgers, hotdogs and chilli. I was asked at "home time" to take my beers.....I did!
Old May 17th 2005, 8:53 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Isn't it awful? I've been to a few "sober" parties over here, but now I recognize the signs/people and avoid them like the plague. How the hell are you supposed to make conversation with people you don't like when you're bloody sober?
Old May 17th 2005, 8:58 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peacelover
I had the same thing happen to me Lisa. I took beers to a BBQ and I was offered fruit tea, everyone is drinking fruit tea I was told. They all raved about the food and it was burgers, hotdogs and chilli. I was asked at "home time" to take my beers.....I did!
you definitly live in the wrong place!!!

when I first moved to the States I was in La...... We lived in an Apartment complex...(which I know dearly miss ) Summer consisted entirely of huge BBQ's and getting drunk at the pool......it was then I was introduced to and formed a loving relationship with the "frozen Margarita"!!!

bit more stuffy here in Texas but I put that down to not having a pool to get drunk at...why won't the YMCA let you bring booze!!!?
Old May 17th 2005, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by peacelover
Okay, now this is just plain weird. I have never once been invited to a barbeque and not seen the adults drinking beer. They don't sit up cackling together over a 12 pack of John Smiths 'till 3 in the morning, which given the nightime temperatures in LA is a crime, but they at least drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.