Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you miss?

Wikiposts

What would you miss?

Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you miss?

Snowbunny - you certainly have had a very raw deal. Am I right in my observation that, in the US, employers go much for by qualifications, and try to hire people who fit there exact requirements, rather than asking themselves 'what has this person to offer us?'

I have been here on an H4 visa for nearly 4 years. I had been hoping to start a business when we moved here - it never occurred to me that I'd still be waiting for a work permit in 2005! So my skills aren't current either, plus I'll probably have 'ageism' to contend with (argh!!!)

Maybe I'll end up mopping floors at the local university ;((
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:39 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Maybe I'll end up mopping floors at the local university ;((
Maybe we should all start a Floor Mopping company
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Maybe we should all start a Floor Mopping company
My neighbour's cleaning lady gets $15 an hour. (Cash in hand, naturellement...)

Well, that's $15 more than I get for posting on this forum...
Old Mar 30th 2005, 4:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No bugger will hire me, so why not go it alone?? If you want to give it a go, PM me.
Not a bad plan mate
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Snowbunny - you certainly have had a very raw deal. Am I right in my observation that, in the US, employers go much for by qualifications, and try to hire people who fit there exact requirements, rather than asking themselves 'what has this person to offer us?'
Yes, because there is absolutely no long-term relationship between employer and employee. Employers want to be 'flexible' about their workforce, so in general, they do not want to invest training in a worker; they wish them to come already trained, either from university, self-study, or work at a previous company. Employers also take the view that an employee *will* leave for even a slightly higher salary if given a chance, and they don't want to 'prepare' them for a future career move any more than is necessary to do their current job.

I prefer a stable career, in which I can work indefinitely until the work runs out, and that the stress of changing jobs is not worth the extra money in most cases. Decent working conditions, reasonable location (commute) and hours required, and intelligent colleagues are what I'm looking for in a job -- as long as I can cover my bills, I'm happy. However, this is NOT the norm; self-help books advise workers to start their next job search as soon as they begin a job -- that is, to continually look for work, and to job-hop often enough so as to hopefully never be laid off.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:14 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read enough about you to know so I'm not sure what area of computers you are in. Wanna start a business together?? I've been looking unsuccessfully with the only positive position looking like mopping the floors at the local University (seriously....I'm not kidding).
Operating systems software, and system hardware/software co-design.

I don't have an entrepreneurial bone in my body or I would've bet on the Internet's being successful; I fell in love back in '93 when we were beta-testing the sucker, but I guess I never realized that the Internet would be loved by more than just computer geeks.

My latest product idea? Well, we know we'll have an ageing population.... was thinking of a zimmerframe, only a sporty zimmerframe, made from sleek bicycle frame carbon, with panniers on either side, a bit of reflective tape for twilight walkers, choice of colours like candy apple red....

Nah, it's already been done, probably.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:32 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ms_bhon
However, lack of good public transpo and having to get into a car to go anywhere can be avoided in any number of cities- most of the northeast cities like Boston, New York, DC and west coast cities like Portland have good public transportation and residential areas where restaurants, supermarkets and shopping are either within walking distance or easily accessable by public transport. Hell, even the neighborhood I used to live in here in Baltimore has that, and our public transportation here pretty much sucks. I did without a car until I was 24 or 25.

oh yeah, I'm well aware that the N.E has a better transpo system it's more like Britain over there or so I've been told ..i've always lived in the South...and i did say the majority of the States...the areas you mentioned are a very small area of the U.S....leave the N.E and you'll be lucky to find a place where you don't realistically need a vehicle to get anywhere...i reckon it's one of the main contributing factors to obesity in this country
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
oh yeah, I'm well aware that the N.E has a better transpo system it's more like Britain over there or so I've been told ..i've always lived in the South...and i did say the majority of the States...the areas you mentioned are a very small area of the U.S....leave the N.E and you'll be lucky to find a place where you don't realistically need a vehicle to get anywhere...i reckon it's one of the main contributing factors to obesity in this country
Errr...in boston or NY, but certainly not in the rest of NE....it's kack in the rest of Mass, none existant in maine, hardly any in ct, none in vt...it really is limited to a couple of the big cities...
Old Mar 31st 2005, 2:09 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

, plus I'll probably have 'ageism' to contend with (argh!!!)
good news for you in that area apparently now people over 40 can sue for age discrimination! whether it's deliberate or not
Old Mar 31st 2005, 7:05 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ms_bhon
I've been lurking on this thread to try to gain some insight into why a few people are happy to be here and some of you are miserable.
I'm not sure, but I assume that I was down as one of the 'miserable' ones...

I wouldn't say I'm miserable - I can pretty much get on anywhere - life is more who and what you make of it - I'm close to family now, and we have a good time - and that makes up for a lot of downpoints. I honestly would probably feel more comfortable somewhere else, but we're here now, and comitted to making the best of it. Is it perfect - not by a long chalk (but then where is?). Is it making me miserable being here - again, not by a long chalk... If I/we were miserable, we would move - and if we did, I honestly think the only thing we woud miss would be the family. And Fudds...
Old Apr 4th 2005, 12:14 pm
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all

Being paid every 2 weeks instead of once a month in the UK
Old Apr 4th 2005, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dragonfly
Being paid every 2 weeks instead of once a month in the UK

god I hate it ! I totally screwed up all my Direct Debits when I arrived have spent the last 9 months moving them to be more spread ..