Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Good weekend destinations

Good weekend destinations

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 4:39 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default Good weekend destinations

Wth the weather set to improve (for those of us not blessed with the southern sun) my mind turns to weekend trips to fun places. This begs the question, where are the best weekend destinations?

Note: Before any pedantic person comes back with "it depends on your geographical location as to a viable weekend location" I'm happy to extend the question to long weekends also

So, where are great places to visit for a weekend in, and around, the US?

To get the ball rolling, and having just returned from 48hrs there, I'm going to offer Nashville as the first destination.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 4:46 pm
ImHere

Default Re: Good weekend destinations

South Florida Everglades. Hot, like nothing else you'll see and fascinating.

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Good weekend destinations

There are some good ideas on this website:

http://www.site59.com/

It's the US counterpart of the UK's 'lastminute.com' so you can book getaways from 14 days to *3 hours* before departure.

I booked with site59 to go to Aruba last September - much cheaper than booking a flight and hotel directly myself or with Liberty Travel.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Boston ain't bad for a weekend jaunt...
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Vegas....definately worth a trip, even if you are not a gambler! I'd try to go midweek though, much better deals to be had on hotel rooms....
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler
Wth the weather set to improve (for those of us not blessed with the southern sun) my mind turns to weekend trips to fun places. This begs the question, where are the best weekend destinations?
Maybe people could also say WHY they suggest certain destinations? Particularly mentioning things that are off the beaten track/not in guidebooks et cetera?

TIA!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 6:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Maybe people could also say WHY they suggest certain destinations? Particularly mentioning things that are off the beaten track/not in guidebooks et cetera?
Fair enough...Boston, lots to do there, Fenway if you can get tickets is always cool, the markets, the bars, the restraunants. Good transport network using the T, can get a weekend pass which is pretty cheap and get to go all over, there's lots of things to do depending on what you like, art, museums, boat trips and all that.
China town is really cool too.
Driving there is a major mare though, but like I said, the public transport network is really good.

Cafe Marlieve (sp?) is a great little italian restaurant that has great food, lots of history and great prices.
Another place, Big Bad Wolf, just down the road from Fenway, awesome bbq meals and dinner deals in general, great atmosphere, especially before and after game nights
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 6:06 pm
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all

Niagra Falls is a good destination for a weekend trip and is New York especially when the weather is good we are going when the weather bucks up
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

We have on regular rotation, San Francisco, Las Vegas and sometimes Laughlin, NV for our long weekends. I'm off to Vegas in 3 weeks and we have San Francisco booked for Thanksgiving. I'd like to add San Diego into the mix at some point and when the weather warms up in the northern parts of the state, I'd like to stay in Sedona or Flagstaff.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If you like the seaside, a drive down North Carolina's Outer Banks is a good way to spend the weeekend. Hit the beach, visit various lighthouses, the Wright Brothers Museum, and a must is the outdoor play at Manteo, "The Lost Colony", about the early settlers.

If you plan it right, you could make it into a roundtrip (rather than "there and back" route), by jumping on a ferry and coming back on the mainland, and visiting some of the nice little towns like Bath and Edenton.

I also agree that Nashiville is a great little town (city?) to visit. The people in that part of the world are just great, you have live music, lots of things going on. I think they advertise it to tourists as a city with the feel of a small town and I'd definitely agree with that sentiment.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you like the seaside, a drive down North Carolina's Outer Banks is a good way to spend the weeekend. Hit the beach, visit various lighthouses, the Wright Brothers Museum, ...
Agree, Outer Banks are lovely. Brings back memories - it's been 10 years or so.

You have to get past Pea Island though - the places before that (Duck etc) are very touristy - yuck.

Also, last time we were there, we'd sometimes see stupid idiots driving their 4x4s right on the beach. I hope they banned this by now...
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
South Florida Everglades. Hot, like nothing else you'll see and fascinating.
If you like to watch alligators sun bathe.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira

Also, last time we were there, we'd sometimes see stupid idiots driving their 4x4s right on the beach. I hope they banned this by now...
Not on Ocracoke (where I spend most of my Outer Banks time), or I believe on Hatteras. Don't know the attrtaction personally.

I think it's some sort of frontier mentality - you know, rugged explorers out in the wilds in your 4x4, etc. If you're that rugged, get out of the car and walk, you bloody nonces!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:26 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not on Ocracoke (where I spend most of my Outer Banks time), or I believe on Hatteras. Don't know the attrtaction personally.

I think it's some sort of frontier mentality - you know, rugged explorers out in the wilds in your 4x4, etc. If you're that rugged, get out of the car and walk, you bloody nonces!
Oh, but of course they HAVE to drive right up to where the water laps around their feet because they've brought everything bar the kitchen-sink for their afternoon at the beach: deck-chairs, sun-loungers, giant umbrella, surf-boards, mega-huge coolers (plural) et cetera...
Old Apr 4th 2005, 6:05 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Miami
Hilton Head
Charleston
Nashville
Florida Gulf Coast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.