Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would you miss?

What would you miss?

Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you miss?

I was reading another forum and a poster asked the question as to what Americans would miss about the UK if they moved back to the US. From the responses it would seem that the UK is well liked as a place to live, so I'm wondering just what we would miss if we moved back to England?

I've been trying to think of what I would miss, and to be honest, I can't think of very much - other than the fact that I have got used to how cheap clothes are here!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you miss?

Been done a couple times, but always nice to do again

Would be the cost of petrol, amount of parking space...level of tax...Reny's....errr....struggling with anything really meaningful, but I'm sure it'll come to me...
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:53 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

I'd miss going to a liquor store without Chavs grouping outside.

That and anything to do with driving. Right turn on red... brilliant.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:56 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Chandler

Only in certain states.

Id miss my guns. And being able to legally defend myself, family and property from burglaring scum.

Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:03 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Only in certain states.
Which 'states' aren't you allowed to turn on red?

friendly people, the weather, being 3,000 miles away from the in-laws
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
Which 'states' aren't you allowed to turn on red?
don't think you can in new hampshire or delaware...
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Would be the cost of petrol...
I don't think the petrol really works out any cheaper ... not for me anyway! Just had a hospital appointment and it was a 30 minute drive to get there - in the UK my local hospital was just a five minute drive away. Shopping centre is the same ... half hour drive vs five minute drive. I wouldn't miss everything being so spread out, but I guess it all depends on where you live.

Bob - sorry if it's been done before!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'd miss going to a liquor store without Chavs grouping outside.

I'd love to be driving in the UK again - hate those four way stops where everyone is supposed to take turns - being a cautious driver I always worry that when it's my turn some smart ass will decide to push in! And why can't they have a simple give way instead of having to stop when you can see there isn't any traffic coming?
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:44 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Guelder Rose]I don't think the petrol really works out any cheaper ... not for me anyway! Just had a hospital appointment and it was a 30 minute drive to get there - in the UK my local hospital was just a five minute drive away. Shopping centre is the same ... half hour drive vs five minute drive. I wouldn't miss everything being so spread out, but I guess it all depends on where you live.

Think of the cost you save by not knackering your car with lots of short drives.

On a serious note, I'd also really miss the no-smoking in bars that we have here in New York.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:29 pm
ImHere

On a serious note, I'd also really miss the no-smoking in bars that we have here in New York.
You could always move to Ireland. Or Scotland next year.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Turn right on a red is brilliant, but I reckon everything else to do with driving isn't much fun! High insurance, extremely bad drivers, poor traffic laws etc. I'm not saying the UK is great either, with a million and one speed cameras amongst other things, but I do reckon the standard of driving in Europe is far better. At least people there generally do not swerve from lane to lane talking on cell phones and drinking "Super Double Gulp" buckets of coke!

That said, I would miss the cheap fuel and my gas guzzlin V8

And also, the cheap housing, nice weather (here in FL), the great beaches, my waterskiing year round, the ease of travelling and exploring the US (without language barriers)....list goes on...would not want to move back to UK atm.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:32 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
That said, I would miss the cheap fuel and my gas guzzlin V8 .
Heres the thing, you drive more miles in the states, in bigger vehicles which guzzle cheaper gas!

If you think about it, you probably dont save a penny on gas in the states, its all in your imaginations, it may not even be an issue if gas goes to $4 a gallon as predicted in the summer
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
Heres the thing, you drive more miles in the states, in bigger vehicles which guzzle cheaper gas!

If you think about it, you probably dont save a penny on gas in the states, its all in your imaginations, it may not even be an issue if gas goes to $4 a gallon as predicted in the summer
Thats probably true Patrick, but I'm a bit of a car/bike fan and did a lot of driving/riding around (some would say needlessly) and "going for a blast" in the UK - so to do that here definately works out cheaper.

Dead on about the rising gas prices though, it seems to be on the up at a rate of 5-10 cents a week round here.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:48 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick

I'm sure I spend 10-20x as much of my time driving here compared to back home. In London I would get in the car maybe once or twice a week - here it's once or twice a DAY.

Not to mention all the time I waste on the FREE internet

I guess I'd miss the weather though. Amazing how quickly one gets used to wall to wall sunshine 9 months of the year...
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

I'd miss the weather, huge house, huge garden, pool in the back garden, being able to afford a horse, big car, having a ski resort just up the road, the beach half an hour a way, being able to spend more time with my husband and the fact that even though I think my daughter hates it here, we do spend alot more time together as a family, friendlier people, walmart & target ( ), chav free schools and the shopping!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.