Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is quality of life?

Wikiposts

What is quality of life?

Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is quality of life?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Haha but prove BBQing is not good for me..... lol
Theres no saving some people...I know what the Godbotherers must feel like now

Although apparently if you marinade the meat first it reduces the carcinogens by a lot. Of course then you just get fat off the high fructose corn syrup and other crap in the sauces and die young anyway.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Although apparently if you marinade the meat first it reduces the carcinogens by a lot.
Ah a reprieve..... on with BBQing the 32oz steak.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:21 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Ah a reprieve..... on with BBQing the 32oz steak.
there's a place sth of dallas buffalo bills steak house i think it's called that offers steaks of 72 ozs and if you devour it all plus the spud and salad in 1 hour you get it free...omg
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:29 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
there's a place sth of dallas buffalo bills steak house i think it's called that offers steaks of 72 ozs and if you devour it all plus the spud and salad in 1 hour you get it free...omg
So does anyone have any idea why there's an obesity problem in this country?!?!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
So does anyone have any idea why there's an obesity problem in this country?!?!
This might have something to do with it....

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/03/pf/biggest_burger/
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TruBrit
When in Rome......

It would be rude not to!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:26 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
we make an effort to do way more than we would in the UK, location helps but there is so much more to see and do IMHO, my kids are involved in sports after school and week-ends, something there just wasn't much of in the UK, :
After reading through peoples replies about all the shit they do in america as opposed to the UK when all these things are available in the UK is what motivates you do to them here and not in the UK?

When I lived in Cambridge we used to pop down to Stanstead and go to Copenhagen, Dublin, Prague etc for the weekend at least once every couple of months. Go to London and see a show or game every couple of weeks and do lots and lots of stuff. There are afterschool programs in the UK and Sports on weekends

So why, all of a sudden when you guys move to the US do you all of a suddend discover it and do it?

One person said cost of concert tickets, it cost me $600 to see the Rolling Stones this year in Charlotte (not including transport and Hotel). I used to go to Leicester Square and get tickets for shows and concerts for under 20 quid.

My Mum has 6 weeks vacation a year and goes abroad for 6 weeks and she works at Etams and my Dad is a Bus driver so that kills the argument about more vacation doesnt mean more holidays.

So again the question is, what changes when you cross the pond that makes you go out to more concerts, spend more time doing recreational activities (which are open to you in Europe but you never took advantage of)
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:32 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Patrick]After reading through peoples replies about all the shit they do in america as opposed to the UK when all these things are available in the UK is what motivates you do to them here and not in the UK?

QUOTE]

i'll be interested in peoples replies as like you we took advantage of all london and the uk has to offer...
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:34 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
After reading through peoples replies about all the shit they do in america as opposed to the UK when all these things are available in the UK is what motivates you do to them here and not in the UK?

When I lived in Cambridge we used to pop down to Stanstead and go to Copenhagen, Dublin, Prague etc for the weekend at least once every couple of months. Go to London and see a show or game every couple of weeks and do lots and lots of stuff. There are afterschool programs in the UK and Sports on weekends

So why, all of a sudden when you guys move to the US do you all of a suddend discover it and do it?

One person said cost of concert tickets, it cost me $600 to see the Rolling Stones this year in Charlotte (not including transport and Hotel). I used to go to Leicester Square and get tickets for shows and concerts for under 20 quid.

My Mum has 6 weeks vacation a year and goes abroad for 6 weeks and she works at Etams and my Dad is a Bus driver so that kills the argument about more vacation doesnt mean more holidays.

So again the question is, what changes when you cross the pond that makes you go out to more concerts, spend more time doing recreational activities (which are open to you in Europe but you never took advantage of)
Because the TV's crap and the bars are too far.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Very good point. I think you feel the need to experience more when in a foreign country - especially if you are only here a while.

Having said that lets take sporting event - basketball - cheaper than any sport of that level in UK - easy to get into and very safe and family orientated - compare that to a premiership game in the UK?

I think some things are cheaper and easier - but it is motivation i believe!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:35 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Money and time.

Sports - there are less opportunities for kids in England because (in my experience) alot parents aren't interested in what their kids are doing. I used to coach 3 times a week at my daughters swimming club as well as officiate at galas once a fortnight. For alot of parents it was a few ours of free babysitting. To try and get them to help was a job in itself. Why help when you can criticise from the side? And then there's the funding and space available to do it. Less and less green field for kids to play on. Cash strapped councils who didn't have the time or resources to get the fields in order and clean up all the dog sh1t.

Accessibility - Sounds as though you were fortunate to be located somewhere you could easily get to concerts, jump on a plane and go away for the weekend. We weren't, but we are now. Plus the breadknife was working so social time was limited.

I want to make the most of what's around me and grasp what is a great opportunity with both hands. But as I've said before, it suits my circumstances and my lifestyle. Each to their own!

Last edited by Schnorbitz; Feb 21st 2006 at 10:25 am. Reason: cos I still can't spell
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:44 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
It might be a cliche, but its undeniably true (well at least for me anyway)
Same here!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:53 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Ok most people have been doing the same old day in day out stuff in the UK and you usual do what your freinds do. As soon as you come out here everythings new and there's more of need to participate in activities to get to know people around you otherwise your on your own.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of your life "clutter" is removed as an expat (and I mean this in a nice way) As others have said we don't have as many friends, we have no family obligations, I certainly travel less for work and work less hours, TVs shite and theres no pubs. To realise the opportunity (and I for one see it as an opportunity to live here) you have to make more of an effort. I can't believe I used to winge about driving 40 miles to see my sister, I will happily drive 400 in day to do something fun here. I also again think when its sunny out I'm more inclined to do stuff - I mean I'm hardly going to go to the beach in February in the UK as we are doing this weekend in CA

Also in the UK I was always too ****ed up on cheap heroin and Special Brew to get out the house
Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:07 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I have a better car (although this is more down to depreciation)

I have a bigger house (although this is because nashville is cheaper than hertfordshire)

I have better weather (although this would be negated by living in other regions of the USA)

I have seen more professional sports games and live concerts in two year than in the rest of my life
The first two you mentioned are materialistic criteria. There's definitely more to quality of life than owning this, owning that...

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.