Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is quality of life?

Wikiposts

What is quality of life?

Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:27 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is quality of life?

My mates back in Blighty get 4 weeks a year vacation, I get 2.

They can't afford however but to have one - 2 week vacation a year abroad, the other 2 weeks is spent at home working on their house etc or just dossing around. And because the weather is shite 90% of the time sitting around watching T.V or going to the pub can get old pretty quick.

so only getting 2 weeks vacation doesn't really bother me.

Horses for courses... instead of sitting in a pub drinking a beer, I sit on a boat on a lake with my bermudas on drinking a beer.

I don't need to put double glazing in or a new roof or update my boiler, cuz my house is only 3 years old.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
My kids had a blast, it was so good to see them laughing and looking healthy and rosy cheeked We will be in your neck of the woods in a few weeks, planning on going to Oregan to the Lehman hot springs for a couple of days...bliss
ah good for you - its great here. Not ever been to Lehman Hot Springs - let me know how it is...... You should definitely go to the Oregon Coast if you have the chance - very beautiful - although not a lot to do.....
Old Feb 21st 2006, 6:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

standard of living, perhaps a little better, the money gets you more shite I suppose...

quality of life though, perhaps a little shite though, more stress, less time to do anything, nothing can be done on a whim like go to the pub or play footie in the park for example.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 6:22 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Is it a cliche that my standard of living here is better, but quality of life worse ?

No pubs, no vacation and more stress, but more money, house and cars.
It all depends on what sort of thing you value most.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 6:26 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
You don't know what you've got till its gone I guess, the simple things like calling around to someone for a cuppa or arranging a night out and everyone showing up just cos you thought it was a good idea. Those things will never be replaced by good weather or money.
That's exactly how I feel. That & the fact that I think my son will get a crappy education here (Arizona being dubbed "The Dumbest State"!).
Old Feb 21st 2006, 6:55 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partystar
It all depends on what sort of thing you value most.

what a very detailed reply
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:05 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Eskimo
what a very detailed reply
Didn't think I needed to say anything else, that pretty much sums it up. Or are you just too used to me babbling on about nothing?!?!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:07 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

BBQing is actually really realy bad for you. Theres scientific proof from The American Institute for Cancer Research that charring the meat introduces carcinogens called HCAs (heterocyclic amines), that are a contributing factor to colon cancer and stomach cancer. Also when the fat drips onto the BBQ and flares up it deposits carcinogens called PAHs or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons onto the meat.

Beside which I think it looks totally offputting.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I think i have the best of both worlds as am here on secondment for a number of years and retain UK benefits in terms of holidays etc etc

But for me there are positives and negatives - yes i work longer and harder but have more cash to show which goes a lot further. I still firmly believe that most things here are cheaper - we have a huge house - sun all year. The things i miss are family and friends but we have managed to build/meet a great group of friends here - and i dont seem to be able to get rid of my in-laws!!

To sum up i would be very reluctant to return to blighty just now!!!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to gripe about. Every day is a holiday, weather is good, income is much more than I could have possibly hoped for in the UK, taxes are less. Swimming pools and large motors have never hacked it with me. More than all of these things put together I have a wife whose love and understanding is all mine. Life could not be better. As you know I am also retired
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:13 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
I- sun all year. !!!
lol hey big d don't tell porkies...it's been nippy for quite a few days... hardly any sun in texas...and a welcome relief if i say so myself...
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
BBQing is actually really realy bad for you. Theres scientific proof from The American Institute for Cancer Research that charring the meat introduces carcinogens called HCAs (heterocyclic amines), that are a contributing factor to colon cancer and stomach cancer. Also when the fat drips onto the BBQ and flares up it deposits carcinogens called PAHs or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons onto the meat.

At last, someone who sees BBQing the same as me, looks disgusting.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol hey big d don't tell porkies...it's been nippy for quite a few days... hardly any sun in texas...and a welcome relief if i say so myself...

You got me!!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

Haha but prove BBQing is not good for me..... lol
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:02 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britvic
At last, someone who sees BBQing the same as me, looks disgusting.
And another thing...my ancestors havent spent millions of years fighting to get away from eating charred dino meat to get to nice plush kitchens just for me to stand out doors and burn some cow flesh over a fire again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.