Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is needed for to work/live in usa for uk citizen

What is needed for to work/live in usa for uk citizen

Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

brum1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is needed for to work/live in usa for uk citizen

Im no longer in the pub trade as its a dying trade here working all hours gods sends to break even and putting own money into it to keep the place open wasnt very wise . Been talking to a few friends in US and they have the attitude to go out try it if it dont work come back but i hear a few horror stories in trying but then i hear a load more positive stories were people are living there ... Always been a dream for me as a kid on family holidays to the us nyc boston florida and a few more places i just love the place so im gonna try it this year and make a go of it
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:54 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brum1988
Im no longer in the pub trade as its a dying trade here working all hours gods sends to break even and putting own money into it to keep the place open wasnt very wise . Been talking to a few friends in US and they have the attitude to go out try it if it dont work come back but i hear a few horror stories in trying but then i hear a load more positive stories were people are living there ... Always been a dream for me as a kid on family holidays to the us nyc boston florida and a few more places i just love the place so im gonna try it this year and make a go of it
And the visa you wil get is......

Unless you have 500000 USD to buy your green card, then you aren't going to get a visa, and no visa, no work. Unless, of course, you are wanting to be an illegal immigrant, always looking over your shoulder, wondering if you can afford even the cheapest medical treatment, of if there is a 'no questions asked' clinic nearby, working for a pittance because the employers know you can't complain or they will out you as an illegal, and if found out, a free trip back to the UK, and no more trips to the US EVER.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... i just love the place so im gonna try it this year and make a go of it
What Mikelincs said above, plus "make a go" of what, exactly? ..... What are you planning to do? You can't just rock up at US immigration at the airport and say "Hey, we've arrived!"

We'd love to help you with your goal, and we can help, but you need to give us something to work with.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

This attitude will most likely end up with you being deported and NEVER allowed to come here ever again. If you want to risk everything, that's up to you, but don't come crying back to us when it doesn't work out - and the odds of getting caught are extremely high, no matter how attractive it looks.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
don't come crying back to us
My Mum always used to say that
Old Jun 15th 2014, 9:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my mum used to say 'if you fall out of that tree and break both your legs - don't come running to me!'
Old Jun 15th 2014, 9:33 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

please just remember that tv shows like eastenders are factually incorrect. When they simply send their characters off with a moments notice to live in America that's IMPOSSIBLE. You CAN as a Brit move to any European union country and do your thing there - as its legally recognized and allowed. The USA is a country in its own right and protects its borders and chooses NOT to let just anyone in. You might not like it but its their choice and tough luck its the way it is. If you turn up with anything other than a suitcase full of holiday clothes and a return ticket and a convincing 'tale' about your trip you will get sent back.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

No-one mentioned E-2 employee - if he can find a pub or something like that run by British people on E-2 they might be able to hire him with his "specialized knowledge" of running a British/Irish pub. That isn't completely unlikely.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

listen I don't wanna go there and be an illeagal immigrant if I cant go the right way about it legal way I will not go simple as that unless of course my lottery numbers come in
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

listen I don't wanna go there and be an illeagal immigrant if I cant go the right way about it legal way I will not go simple as that unless of course my lottery numbers come in
So what visa are you planning to 'go out and try it' on? If you can give people info, you'll get good info back, but you need to show you've done a bit of research in to how you'll live there in the first place.

Everybody on the forum will happily help you figure out the info you need once they know you have a route to a visa and a way to live in the US.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

I dont no what im in need of thats why I asked for help . I want to have a job be an employee for what ever I can do .
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I dont no what im in need of thats why I asked for help . I want to have a job be an employee for what ever I can do .
Did you look through the link given in posts #4 and #9?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As Sally said, you need to re-read the links you've been given - they very clearly set out the only possible routes in to the US. Once you've looked at those, you can come back and ask more specific questions about the visa route you think you may be eligible for, if any.

Good luck.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 4:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

...and what is it that you do? What's your education level? What is your current job? What is your work history, and how many years of experience? How much money do you have in savings? Are you currently married, or are you available to meet and marry a USC?

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2014, 4:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

....... I want to have a job be an employee for what ever I can do .
Which is?

The problem you face is that, to be totally blunt, the vast majority of British citizens could never live and work in the US even if they wanted to. To overcome that simple fact, you need to either be an extraordinary individual, be independently wealthy/ a substantial investor, be transferred by your employer, or be married to a US citizen. Most people who come here for advice don't fit under any of the available paths to a visa.

As Steve_ said a few posts above, based on what you've told us so far, perhaps the only hope you have is an E-2, but that is a highly restrictive visa type and does not lead to any permanent right to live in the US, even on retirement. If your job goes away you must leave the country almost immediately.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 18th 2014 at 4:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.