Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to leave, what to bring?!!!

What to leave, what to bring?!!!

Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:11 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to leave, what to bring?!!!

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
...As long as you can spell in both British English and American English, you'll be OK. ...
Well that's 90% of this board screwed then! They can neither spell nor punctuate in either language :P
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:14 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Well that's 90% of this board screwed then! They can neither spell nor punctuate in either language :P
Nor get their smilies right.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:17 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
D'oh!!!

(note correct use of apostrophe)
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
You've got a PhD in smilies usage.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:23 pm
Unknown quantity

New in NY will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by emmals
wouldn't have thought of that......just presumed we wouldn't be able to take it with us.......surely the monitor would be different vaultage?
If you have a look at your monitor, it should say somewhere on its back what kind of voltage it takes, or maybe you still have the manual. When we moved to the US, we brought the computer and the monitor, they both work on 230V/110V, the only thing we needed to replace were the speakers.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:13 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

On the keyboard thing

I had a nice wireless mouse and UK keyboard set bought as a leaving gift when I left I kept it for a couple of years, but just replaced it with the same set, but a US keyboard.

I type a lot more at work than I do at home, and found I adjusted to the US keyboard and was screwing up when I switched back to the UK one.

So I wouldn't bother too much about keyboards.

My monitor got left behind and I picked up a nice 17inch refurbed LCD for $300 delivered (this was two years back). Love it
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
another thing, bring your puter if you want, don't bother with monitor unless it's special...but do bring your keyboard...the US keyboard is a pain, doesn't have £ and € also a lot of the keys are in different places like @#[]!"%&* etc...well it might not bother you, but it bugged the out of me, mainly because I touch type and using the US one would always knacker up emails and stuff *l*

Just set Win-dohs for a UK keyboard and the buttons are where you want them. Or, alternatively, set it up with multiple keyboards in cases where this omission could lead to you receiving a black eye from your DH. Leave the "Language Bar" on the task bar for easy flicking, or use the shortcut keys instead.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
wouldn't have thought of that......just presumed we wouldn't be able to take it with us.......surely the monitor would be different vaultage?
Monitor might be dual voltage, mine was, but I still left it...only worth bringing if you had a light flatscreen, especially if you had a decent plasma screen, otherwise it ain't worth it.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Just my 5 cents.

You're in the US now and in the US workplace you'll find people use US keyboards. We brought over our UK keyboard but binned it some time ago because we considered it pointless using/keeping one.

As long as you can spell in both British English and American English, you'll be OK.
Aye, I can live with both, but at home, I like my Brit keyboard, plus it's the way I've got shortcuts set out for photoshop and 3dsm...have to re-set the short cuts or learn to touch type with new keys *l*
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Just set Win-dohs for a UK keyboard and the buttons are where you want them. Or, alternatively, set it up with multiple keyboards in cases where this omission could lead to you receiving a black eye from your DH. Leave the "Language Bar" on the task bar for easy flicking, or use the shortcut keys instead.
Aye, could do....but I can't really be arsed with a US keyboard, certainly till this one dies properly at least
and the taskbar has enough hogging it already
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:50 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Yellow dusters for polishing wood furniture. Can't be bought over here.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie

and bath sponges..can't find 'em anywhere
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:07 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

I've brought yellow dusters over here, my local Safeway of all places, my sister-in-law couldn't understand what I was getting so excited about
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:10 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
I've brought yellow dusters over here, my local Safeway of all places, my sister-in-law couldn't understand what I was getting so excited about
I've looked everywhere and just can't find them. Everyone tells me to use old t shirts.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:36 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked everywhere and just can't find them. Everyone tells me to use old t shirts.
Just not the same though is it?! Did you not bring any back with you on your trip home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.