Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to leave, what to bring?!!!

What to leave, what to bring?!!!

Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:18 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What to leave, what to bring?!!!

If you like to have roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, do remember to pack a Yorkshire pudding tin, also if you like things like jam tarts, fairy cakes or mince pies at Christmastime bring some of those little 'patty tins'...they only have muffin tins here which are much deeper and larger.

Actually if you want to make any British dishes in general don't forget a good cookery book...if you only bring one, bring Delia Smith's 'Complete Cookery Course' even if it's only to remember how to make the (thin) pancakes on Shrove Tuesday which is something only we Brits seem make before Lent!!!. I had one of Delia's books as a wedding gift and still often refer to it many years later! Again - bring a UK jug with imperial and metric measurements if you're going to use British recipes and definitely bring kitchen scales - all measurements for US recipes are in cups, not grammes or ounces.

You will have to learn to weigh yourself in pounds only...they don't have 'stones' or kilogrammes in the US...you're bound to put on weight when you first arrive as food portions are so large....if it's important/of interest to you, bring some UK scales.

Also agree with all the comments about duvet covers...not so easy to find here and all the ones I've seen are either horrible or/and are an extortionate price.

I think a trip to Argos is in order LOL! (They have nothing like Argos stores in the US...).

PS. Bring gravy granules (or Bisto powder) and bottles of orange squash...unheard of over here. Maybe also some Angel Delight/Instant Whip packets too.

PPS. A St.George's flag if you're English, or the Welsh or Scottish equivalent. Or/and a Union flag. Perhaps even a book or tourist guide of your town or some postcards so you don't forget your 'roots'.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to leave, what to bring?!!!

If you have children bring plenty of underwear and nightwear. I don't know why but girls' socks, knickers, vests and nightwear over here are nowhere near as good. My husband also buys himself a supply of cotton rich socks when we go back.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
If you have children bring plenty of underwear and nightwear. I don't know why but girls' socks, knickers, vests and nightwear over here are nowhere near as good. My husband also buys himself a supply of cotton rich socks when we go back.
I think they have a law here that stipulates that children's sleepwear has to be made of 'flame-retardant material' - which rules out cotton. So bring plenty of cotton PJs for the little ones!

But you can get good quality black cotton-rich socks from Costco.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I think they have a law here that stipulates that children's sleepwear has to be made of 'flame-retardant material' - which rules out cotton. So bring plenty of cotton PJs for the little ones!
All the nightwear here is seems to be made of man made material with labels warning about the danger of fire. I remember as a child my cousin's (nylon?) nightie melting when she sat near the fire but luckily my Aunty noticed and ripped it off her before it melted to her skin. So the stuff here may be flame retardent but maybe not "melt proof". I think I have been emotionally scarred by it and have always bought cotton nightwear for my kids.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:32 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Hi.
I've been reading this thread with interest because we are now making lists.
This might be a silly question.....can you pack food items in your container? I know nothing perishable but stuff like teabags,marmite,chocolate etc and also toiletries. What about alchohol. My dad collected whiskey and after he died I ended up with it. There's quite a lot. Can we just pack it in a box?

Thanks
No to the alchohol we were told, and as for food items I wouldn't put them in the container. There are actually very strict guidelines about what can go in the container.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by peacelover
No to the alchohol we were told, and as for food items I wouldn't put them in the container. There are actually very strict guidelines about what can go in the container.
Our shippers supplied us with a ring binder full of useful information about moving to the USA. It contained a list of what foods you can actually put in the container and we stuck within those guidelines.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Our shippers supplied us with a ring binder full of useful information about moving to the USA. It contained a list of what foods you can actually put in the container and we stuck within those guidelines.

We were told by Allied Pickfords not to put any food stuff in our container, under any circumstances, I even had to empty my spice rack and wash it out otherwise they wouldn't pack it! Alcohol was a definite no no as well. Be very careful if you bring garden furniture or garden tools, clean them well, any sign of dirt and you'll be in big trouble, again Allied told us that they'd had someones container sent back because of this!
Leave your bed behind, buy a king size when you get here, its bliss, don't know how I ever managed to sleep in a double bed!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
We were told by Allied Pickfords not to put any food stuff in our container, under any circumstances, I even had to empty my spice rack and wash it out otherwise they wouldn't pack it! Alcohol was a definite no no as well. Be very careful if you bring garden furniture or garden tools, clean them well, any sign of dirt and you'll be in big trouble, again Allied told us that they'd had someones container sent back because of this!
Leave your bed behind, buy a king size when you get here, its bliss, don't know how I ever managed to sleep in a double bed!
Do they allow gardening tools in at all? I mean, surely these could be used as weapons!!!

Agree about the bed - when they say king they really mean king (not queen...)
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

We were told by Allied Pickfords not to put any food stuff in our container, under any circumstances, I even had to empty my spice rack and wash it out otherwise they wouldn't pack it! Alcohol was a definite no no as well. Be very careful if you bring garden furniture or garden tools, clean them well, any sign of dirt and you'll be in big trouble,
Perhaps the rules have changed but I bought new packets of herbs and spices and those went in the container. As long as every food item on the list was factory sealed we were told it was OK to ship.

We had to thoroughly clean and disinfect all our garden equipment, outdoor toys and bikes and they were then completely wrapped in clingfilm before going in the container.

Last edited by mandpete; Apr 25th 2005 at 4:24 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Do they allow gardening tools in at all? I mean, surely these could be used as weapons!!!

Agree about the bed - when they say king they really mean king (not queen...)
bedding is horrendously expensive though for such a big bed, no more buying a 30 quid duvet cover from Next..
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:26 pm
Homebody

bedding is horrendously expensive though for such a big bed, no more buying a 30 quid duvet cover from Next..
Have you tried Marshalls? Their bedding is pretty reasonable, and sometimes they even have 'duvet covers'!

Don't like the fact that they're 100% cotton though - ironing just isn't "me"...

I usually get bedlinen from Peter Jones/John Lewis - they stock 'super-king' (roughly equivalent to US king).
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Alright king size beds if you have a kingsize bedroom, or other wise your bedroom looks like something out of princess and the pea!!!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britvic
Alright king size beds if you have a kingsize bedroom, or other wise your bedroom looks like something out of princess and the pea!!!
Especially if you have to move back to the UK where master bedrooms are much smaller than here.

We had just bought a brand new UK king size bed when we found out my husband was being transferred so that came with us, we did leave the kids' beds though.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic

Yes ! I was amazed at the bedroom furniture in shops here - it's all enormous faux-Victorian looking stuff! :scared: They must think we all live in houses like Southfork (Dallas-style), yet most houses in this town are nowhere near big enough to take those dressing tables, armoires, bed-heads etc. Bring back minimalism!!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:57 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

As others have said:

Don't bother with electronics (I brought my computer, but made sure the PSU was switchable between voltages, then just got another power cable). I didn't bring my DVD player, my monitor, my stereo or anything like that. Small electronics (hair dryers etc) are so cheap here it's not worth it.

Bring bedding, the bedding is just not the same here.

I still, two years later, have my family bring me a bag full of "Original mint source" shower gel

I'm lucky to have some English shops nearby, and can pick up mince pies, orange juice etc. My local Stop and Shop has an "Irish" section selling crackers, chocolate bars, lemon barley, baked beans, mushy peas etc. It's fantastic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.