Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to leave, what to bring?!!!

What to leave, what to bring?!!!

Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to leave, what to bring?!!!

bring a plunger, American plumbing is shit..
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: What to leave, what to bring?!!!

Originally Posted by smeg
As others have said:

I still, two years later, have my family bring me a bag full of "Original mint source" shower gel

Where are they buying it from? I love the Original Mint Source shampoos and conditioners. The last time I was in the UK I couldn't find it in Superdrug, Boots or Tesco's and ran out of time to look elsewhere. My husband goes to London on average once every 6-8 weeks but he never looks too hard LOL!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:31 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Hehe! (What're you saying?)
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:13 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Hi.
I've been reading this thread with interest because we are now making lists.
This might be a silly question.....can you pack food items in your container? I know nothing perishable but stuff like teabags,marmite,chocolate etc and also toiletries. What about alchohol. My dad collected whiskey and after he died I ended up with it. There's quite a lot. Can we just pack it in a box?

Thanks
Based on my experience of emigrating to the US, foods can be shipped as long as they meet FDA regulations. i.e. no meat or meat derivative products, the products must be sealed and in their original packaging, no fresh produce (fruit, veg, etc.).

As for toiletries, I brought unopened, sealed items inc. perfumes. All such items were noted in the inventory for shipping.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy plungers in the US! Maybe you're saying that British plungers are better than American plungers...

Back to the original Q: if you use TCP, bring that with you. There's nothing quite as effective in the US.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:24 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Where are they buying it from? I love the Original Mint Source shampoos and conditioners. The last time I was in the UK I couldn't find it in Superdrug, Boots or Tesco's and ran out of time to look elsewhere. My husband goes to London on average once every 6-8 weeks but he never looks too hard LOL!
Tescos every time, they have never mentioned having any problems getting it.

The company also ships internationally, but I've never done it. They won't ship the shave gel, which is another product of theirs I love though.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You can buy plungers in the US! Maybe you're saying that British plungers are better than American plungers...

Back to the original Q: if you use TCP, bring that with you. There's nothing quite as effective in the US.

NC Penguin
sorry for the confusion, I know you can buy them here, Lowes has 2 aisles just full of plungers but I would recommend bringing one in your suitcase 'cos you'll need one after spending several hours on a plane, if you know what I mean.. We didn't realise it was such a common thing for the toilets to block, spent a fortune on calling out a plumber everytime as everytime we've had visitors within a few hours of arrival, the bathrooms have flooded from the toilets blocking, I'm having them replaced with the American Standard Champion Flusher toilets, supposedly never meant to block but we'll see..
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:36 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: What to leave, what to bring?!!!

Originally Posted by smeg
Tescos every time, they have never mentioned having any problems getting it.

The company also ships internationally, but I've never done it. They won't ship the shave gel, which is another product of theirs I love though.
Thanks! I've just realised that it's the Tesco Metro stores which I've been going to, maybe it's only the larger stores which stock it.

To the O/P:

Imperial Leather soap is nice to have....I've not found any soaps here that compare.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

sorry for the confusion, I know you can buy them here, Lowes has 2 aisles just full of plungers but I would recommend bringing one in your suitcase 'cos you'll need one after spending several hours on a plane, if you know what I mean.. We didn't realise it was such a common thing for the toilets to block, spent a fortune on calling out a plumber everytime as everytime we've had visitors within a few hours of arrival, the bathrooms have flooded from the toilets blocking, I'm having them replaced with the American Standard Champion Flusher toilets, supposedly never meant to block but we'll see..
It's my USC spouse that ever blocked toilets in my household. I never have....

NC Penguin
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

- all measurements for US recipes are in cups,
Great idea IMO!! Wish they'd done this overseas years ago

Also agree with all the comments about duvet covers...not so easy to find here and all the ones I've seen are either horrible or/and are an extortionate price.
Absolutely! My dear mama was here for two months a few years ago, and was absolutely horrified at the selection available in this department.

PS. Bring gravy granules (or Bisto powder)
Great advice, I pop into my local Indian grocer to buy it all the time..nothing like it here.

and bottles of orange squash...unheard of over here.
And THANK GOD FOR THAT!!.... Pure fruit juice is so much better for you

Y'all forgot the Bird's custard powder. Can't find anything like it here (unless you hit the expat stores) My hubby's first 'food' query was for trifle, and I walked up and down the aisles looking for pouring custard with no luck. Thankfully, Albertson's started selling Birds a few months later.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 8:22 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

<<snip>>

Actually if you want to make any British dishes in general don't forget a good cookery book...if you only bring one, bring Delia Smith's 'Complete Cookery Course' even if it's only to remember how to make the (thin) pancakes on Shrove Tuesday which is something only we Brits seem make before Lent!!!. I had one of Delia's books as a wedding gift and still often refer to it many years later! Again - bring a UK jug with imperial and metric measurements if you're going to use British recipes and definitely bring kitchen scales - all measurements for US recipes are in cups, not grammes or ounces.

You will have to learn to weigh yourself in pounds only...they don't have 'stones' or kilogrammes in the US...you're bound to put on weight when you first arrive as food portions are so large....if it's important/of interest to you, bring some UK scales.
Alternatively, if you're comfortable with the internet, you can always get Delia's recipes from her website. Also, you can find many British recipes (sometimes with American measurements) off the web too.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sort of related, today's local rag, just what were they thinking of, how much negative publicity has this caused:

Auto contest winner refuses prize

Dealership says Saturn sedan worth $1,000 to $2,000

By Christine Reid, Camera Staff Writer
April 26, 2005

He thought he had won a car, but instead, Daniel Barbiere says, he was handed the keys to a lemon.

The Milliken man got a call last weekend from Champion Ford telling him he was a winner after he entered a drawing during the grand opening of Boulder's newest car dealership.

Advertisement

Barbiere got a babysitter for his 11-month-old child, and he, his wife and his father-in-law headed back to the car lot at 3200 28th St. to pick up the prize.

There he saw what he described as a 1993 Saturn SL1, with 125,000 miles on the odometer, four bald tires, a cracked windshield and four different shades of paint covering its body.

"The first thing I thought was I was ashamed of myself to think it would be more than that," Barbiere said. "I should have known."

Champion General Manager Steve Valasquez said the dealership, formerly John Elway Ford, offered to put new tires on the Saturn, but Barbiere still refused to take it. Velasquez said the value of the car was between $1,000 and $2,000.

"The car runs fine. He just didn't like the vehicle," Valasquez said. "We gave away a Windstar, and the guy was happier than heck."

Barbiere said he was informed that he would have to pay $495 for dealer handling fees and taxes. He said the sales manager told him nothing was wrong with the car, but Barbiere disagreed.

"You'd have to give it away. You couldn't sell that car," Barbiere said. "It was a hazard."

The manager also told him he could use the car as a $2,000 trade in for any car on the lot.

Matt O'Mara, Champion spokesman, said the dealership is willing to do whatever it can to make Barbiere happy.

"They pride themselves on customer service, and the last thing they want is for people not to feel happy or feel they were treated unfairly," O'Mara said.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

another thing, bring your puter if you want, don't bother with monitor unless it's special...but do bring your keyboard...the US keyboard is a pain, doesn't have £ and € also a lot of the keys are in different places like @#[]!"%&* etc...well it might not bother you, but it bugged the out of me, mainly because I touch type and using the US one would always knacker up emails and stuff *l*
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
another thing, bring your puter if you want, don't bother with monitor unless it's special...but do bring your keyboard...the US keyboard is a pain, doesn't have £ and € also a lot of the keys are in different places like @#[]!"%&* etc...well it might not bother you, but it bugged the out of me, mainly because I touch type and using the US one would always knacker up emails and stuff *l*
wouldn't have thought of that......just presumed we wouldn't be able to take it with us.......surely the monitor would be different vaultage?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Bob
Just my 5 cents.

You're in the US now and in the US workplace you'll find people use US keyboards. We brought over our UK keyboard but binned it some time ago because we considered it pointless using/keeping one.

As long as you can spell in both British English and American English, you'll be OK.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.