Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to do in San Francisco?

What to do in San Francisco?

Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do in San Francisco?

I recommend the Palace of the fine arts ---all outdoors and very interesting on a nice day for a couple of hours and I fully recommend Sausalito just across the bay --if you want to stay overnight theres a great inn called The Gables
enjoy!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I recommend the Palace of the fine arts

... and, of course, the Exploratorium ...
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

From my days of living in San Francisco, an enduring memory is a short visit to the USS San Francisco memorial at Land's End between the Sutro Baths location and the Palace of the Legion of Honor. A part of the memorial is a portion of the wings of the navigation bridge when the ship was repaired after the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal in November 1942.

This is a picture. Every officer on that bridge was killed. I found it scary to think of that when standing next to the shell holes in the armor plate.

BTW, the bridge is pointed on the circle route to Guadalcanal.

It if is a nice day, the surrounding area is great for a hike or a picnic.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:16 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Maybe meet Poppy at the Thirsty Bear?
Originally Posted by N1cky
Originally Posted by Burn1911
I am never going to live that in down am I lol...the only Brit to organize a piss up and then have to cancel

Well not sure about the cycle ride to Sausalito that will only leave you with a sore ass and aching legs the next day, but Sausalito is a nice place to visit, I am in SF every month so I guess its lost its attraction for me I can't wait to get the hell out of there, but if you decide on a nice hotel I would recommend to Priceline it, I get the Hyatt normally for $55 a night or the Sheraton for about the same, if I could choose I would go for the Parc55 they are way ahead in their rooms and service they go the extra inch and its worth it Priceline should get it for $80 a night.......be careful all these hotels have expensive parking, so a deal might not be so toasty as you think when you find out that the over night parking is more then the hotel its self, the Hyatt loves to play this one, but there is parking next to the hotel for I think it was $24 a day.

Good Luck enjoy your trip
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I would also recommend visiting Alcatraz!!

Side note - I was going to recommend a restaurant in Oakland that has been very special to our family for decades, to the point where we exchanged gifts with the owners and they picked up the tab when many of us dined there after my grandfather's funeral ... but just read that they closed in 2007.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I would also recommend visiting Alcatraz!!

Side note - I was going to recommend a restaurant in Oakland that has been very special to our family for decades, to the point where we exchanged gifts with the owners and they picked up the tab when many of us dined there after my grandfather's funeral ... but just read that they closed in 2007.
Seconded...it's a must see.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

I recommend Alcatraz too. Fascinating and well worth it.I have only been to SF once and stayed in Union Square. I walked from there, across the Golden Gate, to to Sausolito.

Needless to say, got the ferry and a cab back.

It's well worth walking over the bridge for the full experience.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve100100
I recommend Alcatraz too. Fascinating and well worth it.I have only been to SF once and stayed in Union Square. I walked from there, across the Golden Gate, to to Sausolito.

Needless to say, got the ferry and a cab back.

It's well worth walking over the bridge for the full experience.
I agree with that too...we did the walk across the GG Bridge. We took a boat out to Sausalito.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:59 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to stretch your legs, catch a ferry to Angel Island and mooch up to the top - some of the best views of the bay.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:00 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Stay away from Fisherman's Wharf (horrid tourist trap imo) and spend your time in more authentic neighbourhoods, e.g. The Mission, The Castro, The Haight, lower Pac Heights etc. My favourite streets are Hyde (on Russian Hilll), Fillmore (north of California), and Union (west of Van Ness). For views walk up all the steps on the east side to the top of Telegraph Hill/Coit Tower (I do this once a week at lunchtime and never tire of it), and go to Fort Point, which is literally underneath the southern end of the Golden Gate Bridge. My favourite viewpoint is Grandview Park, south of Golden Gate Park. You get a fabulous view of downtown, the Golden Gate and The Sunset district from there... if it's not foggy.