Reload this Page >

SHIPPING PERSONAL BELONGINGS

SHIPPING PERSONAL BELONGINGS

Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

caliqueen17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SHIPPING PERSONAL BELONGINGS

Hello everyone,

I am curious as to how this works. Once I get to the US do I arrange shipment of my belongings without consulting anyone in the US ie Customs etc?

How will they know my belongings are tax exempt?

Do I need to write anything on the shipping boxes?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHIPPING PERSONAL BELONGINGS

Have a search, there's a million threads on shipping stuff, quite a few on the first page that'll answer a lot of your questions.

And the answers all depend on how much junk you're shipping and what method you use, container shipping of household goods, packing boxes and mailing it in the post/special delivery, or using excess baggage type services.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Bob. I am trying to navigate around the website, I don't know how to. Would be happy to receive some instructions.

Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can just look at the thread titles on this forum where you posted, there's a few shipping threads on the first few pages.

Also on the yellow bar up top, there's a search function, advanced search for the US part of the forum and you should quite quite a bit of info.

But like I said, the answers will all depend on what you have to ship and you've not said, so it's not like anyone can answer you.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Just personal belongings, clothes, shoes, handbags, some kitchen stuff, nothing electrical.

I have 34 18" x 18" x 18" boxes ready and packed and waiting plus 1 sewing machine.

I have also obtained a quote from a shipping company which I am happy with. I am hoping to ship my belongings as soon as I have obtained the Visa but want to get all paperwork in order for this process [if there is any, and I imagine that there is].

Thanks for being patient with me Bob
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:05 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cali,

Will your sewing machine run on US voltage? Is it a model that is sold in the US, and if not, will parts, repair and bobbins be readily available? To avoid these problems I sold mine in the UK and bought a new one here.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliqueen17
Just personal belongings, clothes, shoes, handbags, some kitchen stuff, nothing electrical.

I have 34 18" x 18" x 18" boxes ready and packed and waiting plus 1 sewing machine.

I have also obtained a quote from a shipping company which I am happy with. I am hoping to ship my belongings as soon as I have obtained the Visa but want to get all paperwork in order for this process [if there is any, and I imagine that there is].

Thanks for being patient with me Bob
The shipping company we used, came and packed all our boxes, did all the paperwork etc, we did nothing. We paid the same company to insure our belongings and when they arrived at NY, we didn't have to do anything apart from wait for them to be released from Customs The shipping company contacted me when the shipment was released and arranged a delivery date convenient with myself. Good luck with the visa, what visa are you coming over here on??? As for the sewing machine, I agree with the last post, I would sell it and buy a new one - just to make it easier
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:59 am
Account Closed

Hi, I am coming over on a Spouse Visa- CR1?
I thought it was a K3 but I have been told it is not.

Thanks for the advice on the sewing machine.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliqueen17
Hi, I am coming over on a Spouse Visa- CR1?
I thought it was a K3 but I have been told it is not.

Thanks for the advice on the sewing machine.
You will be arriving as an immigrant, with an Immigrant Visa (CR-1), based on your other posts. You can find the US Customs document with instructions in this wiki article: Immigrant Visa Arrival

You can search for a thread here by user Ozzidoc about a method for small shipments that she used.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629133
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Thanks everyone, very useful!