British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What to do in San Francisco? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-do-san-francisco-713368/)

ChocolateBabz Apr 14th 2011 3:35 pm

What to do in San Francisco?

After much deliberation we have decided to head to San Francisco for our 15th Anniversary awwww... The last time we were there was our honeymoon awwww....

So what should we do? We did a trolley tour last time and went to Pier 39 and Ghiradelli's, we ate at The Stinking Rose and Tommy Toys. Thought we might do Alcatraz this time - is it worth it? Any other suggestions? Theatre maybe. We have 3 nights.

Would love to drive to The French Laundry but hubby would literally keel over dead at the prices.

Any suggestions welcome, haven't quite decided where to stay yet either. Sheraton or Hyatt @ Fisherman's Wharf, maybe the Huntington Hotel or blow the budget and book the Ritz :eek:

N1cky Apr 14th 2011 3:45 pm

Re: What to do in San Francisco?

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 9305100)
After much deliberation we have decided to head to San Francisco for our 15th Anniversary awwww... The last time we were there was our honeymoon awwww....

So what should we do? We did a trolley tour last time and went to Pier 39 and Ghiradelli's, we ate at The Stinking Rose and Tommy Toys. Thought we might do Alcatraz this time - is it worth it? Any other suggestions? Theatre maybe. We have 3 nights.

Would love to drive to The French Laundry but hubby would literally keel over dead at the prices.

Any suggestions welcome, haven't quite decided where to stay yet either. Sheraton or Hyatt @ Fisherman's Wharf, maybe the Huntington Hotel or blow the budget and book the Ritz :eek:

Make sure you book Alcatraz ahead of time, its always booked up now for same day and in summer at least 1 week ahead.

There are some great museums in SF, often with great exhibits. The Fine Arts Museum has a load of Picasso work coming in at the end of June while they refurb in Paris. The Modern Art museum gets some great photography exhibits, both these and the Legion of Honor have some great permanent work.

The tram museum is worth a visit.

We stayed at The Hyatt in FW last year, its in a great location opposite a tram stop and on a main bus route. Also, check out Kimpton Hotels, they have a few hotels in SF, The Argonaught in particular is lovely. They are a small chain of boutique hotels which are reasonable prices and excellent service and properties.

Sally Redux Apr 14th 2011 3:53 pm

I agree Alcatraz is well worth a visit and you need to book, also that the Museum of Modern Art is really good. We did have a budget-conscious stay last time and were wading through 'bums' a lot of the time, a bit depressing really. But apart from that, a fun place to walk/ride the trolley around.

katq Apr 14th 2011 3:58 pm

I recommend this restaurant, not so much for the food, but for the experience:

http://www.supperclub.com/html/sanfrancisco/

aww, hope you enjoy your anniversary:)

coastieexpat Apr 14th 2011 4:34 pm

I stay in San Francisco a few times a year.

Alcatraz is excellent and they have a superb audio tour included in the price, ( $26.00 ) and you get a boat ride, pre-book to avoid the queues.

Take a look at the Omni on California for an upscale hotel, well situated and the prices are more reasonable than the others. For a lower budget I like the Marina Motel on Lombard.

Check out Tripadvisor.com for reviews, and have a great time ! :)

mikec81 Apr 14th 2011 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 9305100)

If you are looking for an alternative to the French Laundry, there is a place called Ad Hoc that is just down the street from French Laundry and is owned by the same guy. It is a fixed menu, a lot cheaper, but still does amazing food. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area.

Nopa, A16 and SPQR are also great restaurants if you are looking for something in the city, and Bourbon and Branch is an interesting bar to try out if you have time (it's has a prohibition era theme so you need to call ahead to reserve a table and to get a password to get in...seriously).

Also, I would recommend the Mark Hopkins hotel if you are looking in that price range. I really like the location, closer to Union Square, and it has a great bar on the top floor that overlooks the city.

ChocolateBabz Apr 14th 2011 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by katq (Post 9305144)
I recommend this restaurant, not so much for the food, but for the experience:

http://www.supperclub.com/html/sanfrancisco/

aww, hope you enjoy your anniversary:)

Insane place - have you been ?

tonrob Apr 14th 2011 4:54 pm

Maybe meet Poppy at the Thirsty Bear?

N1cky Apr 14th 2011 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9305262)

:rofl:

Giantaxe Apr 14th 2011 4:58 pm

Stay away from Fisherman's Wharf (horrid tourist trap imo) and spend your time in more authentic neighbourhoods, e.g. The Mission, The Castro, The Haight, lower Pac Heights etc. My favourite streets are Hyde (on Russian Hilll), Fillmore (north of California), and Union (west of Van Ness). For views walk up all the steps on the east side to the top of Telegraph Hill/Coit Tower (I do this once a week at lunchtime and never tire of it), and go to Fort Point, which is literally underneath the southern end of the Golden Gate Bridge. My favourite viewpoint is Grandview Park, south of Golden Gate Park. You get a fabulous view of downtown, the Golden Gate and The Sunset district from there... if it's not foggy.

ChocolateBabz Apr 14th 2011 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by mikec81 (Post 9305227)
If you are looking for an alternative to the French Laundry, there is a place called Ad Hoc that is just down the street from French Laundry and is owned by the same guy. It is a fixed menu, a lot cheaper, but still does amazing food. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area.

Nopa, A16 and SPQR are also great restaurants if you are looking for something in the city, and Bourbon and Branch is an interesting bar to try out if you have time (it's has a prohibition era theme so you need to call ahead to reserve a table and to get a password to get in...seriously).

Also, I would recommend the Mark Hopkins hotel if you are looking in that price range. I really like the location, closer to Union Square, and it has a great bar on the top floor that overlooks the city.

Great restaurants suggestions - who knew you could spend an hour just reading menus? Bourbon & Branch looks like a fun place to take hubby without telling him first.

Kats. Apr 14th 2011 5:13 pm

I did the night tour of Alcatraz last summer and it was fantastic - it was really spooky at night! As Nicky said, make sure you book early (can do it online) as they book up quickly.

I also enjoyed visiting Fort Point, just by the Golden Gate bridge. There's not much to do there but there's amazing views so it's nice to go there if you're going to the bridge. We also walked across the bridge to Sausalito and had a nice lunch and wander around there. It's a bit too far to walk (not the bridge part but on the other side into Sausalito), probably better to hire bikes and ride it like a lot of people do. You can catch the ferry back which is pleasant too.

ETA: I was writing at the same time as Giantaxe, I agree about the Filbert Steps in Telegraph Hills, great views (very steep if you're going up!) - definitely worth doing.

katq Apr 14th 2011 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 9305254)
Insane place - have you been ?

Yes, I have been there once - my fiancee then (husband now) took me there and it was one of the things on his list to take me to in San Francisco:) I really enjoyed the experience, it was very surreal, a little bit like being in a David Lynch movie - it seems that every night is different, a different show, setting, etc - but I'm sure it will be an interesting experience. You need to book it in advance and everybody arrives at the same time to watch the performances and they have these massive couches to lie on, very comfy, and a roller skating waiter:)

crispin Apr 14th 2011 6:54 pm

Cycle round to Sausalito or Tiburon (ferry home); head up to the Marin Headlands (views over Golden Gate and the city); get a great view of the city from Twin Peaks; visit the cable car museum; stroll around Golden Gate park (and visit the museums there); SFMOMA (a personal favourite); avoid the Thirsty Bear and go to House of Shields instead :); Ferry building (nice, but getting more touristy); stay well away from Fishermans Wharf.

Above all else, enjoy yourself!

Burn1911 Apr 14th 2011 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9305262)

:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: