Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to do with DL when moving out of the US?

What to do with DL when moving out of the US?

Old Dec 19th 2015, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do with DL when moving out of the US?

Originally Posted by JimmyLenny
what sticky situations?
I had a colleague working with me in Louisiana. On a business trip to Texas he failed to see a red light in bright sunlight and hit another car. No injuries, he took full responsibility and the Sheriff said that although the damage to the cars was minor and the rental car insurance was all in order that he would still have to write him a ticket. My friend then produced his UK driving license (even though he did have a Louisiana license) and the Sheriff didn't fancy all the extra paperwork so let him off with a warning.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 11:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I had a colleague working with me in Louisiana. On a business trip to Texas he failed to see a red light in bright sunlight and hit another car. No injuries, he took full responsibility and the Sheriff said that although the damage to the cars was minor and the rental car insurance was all in order that he would still have to write him a ticket. My friend then produced his UK driving license (even though he did have a Louisiana license) and the Sheriff didn't fancy all the extra paperwork so let him off with a warning.
My then-girlfriend and I got stopped for speeding in Ohio in the wee hours of the morning after driving up from Tennessee. She was driving and just run over something cute and fluffy and was in floods of tears and so managed to miss the speed limit changing from 40 to 20 mph or something of that nature through a small, deserted town.

The young cop who pulled us over seemed certain to write us a ticket until my girlfriend pulled out her GB driving licence.

"Didn't you need to pass an Ohio state driving test?"
"No, we're visiting from the UK."

We were then let on our way as he had evidently never seen an out-of-state licence let alone a foreign one and didn't know where to begin.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 11:25 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimmyLenny
what sticky situations?
Speeding tickets. Being pulled over and asked for a DL. etc
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 5:13 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a drawer full of expired DLs from all over the world including US jurisdictions and no-one has come after me for taxes.

As far as Nevada goes, who cares, no State income tax and it's one of only two States that doesn't have an information-sharing agreement with the IRS.

Like I said, the main thing to fill in is IRS Form 8822.