Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to do with DL when moving out of the US?

What to do with DL when moving out of the US?

Old Dec 14th 2015, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

JimmyLenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do with DL when moving out of the US?

Hello people,

let's say you lived in the US many years, got yourself US citizenship and now you are coming back to the UK or anywhere in Europe for good.

Just a few months ago I got a new US drivers license. What do I do with it now? Obviously the address won't be current anymore and I might get some jury duty, etc.

What did you do?
What other things did you do to sever ties?
Old Dec 15th 2015, 4:36 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do with DL when moving out of the US?

Unless you are worried about some issues with state residence I'd just keep the drivers license. I would send change of address notification to all relevant organizations.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 9:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The only one that really matters is IRS Form 8822.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 9:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Did you exchange your UK licence for a US licence? If so you'll want to bring it with you to exchange back.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the driving license. If you ever move back to the US it's helpful to already have a license, even if it's not for the state you're moving to.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 11:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Keep the driving license. If you ever move back to the US it's helpful to already have a license, even if it's not for the state you're moving to.
Unless you're in one of those states that requires you to keep filing a state tax return when you leave unless you return your license or pick up residence in another state.

There's a couple of them from memory.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Which ones are they?
Old Dec 16th 2015, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly NJ? MA was one of them and someone mentioned it about one of the mid west states.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 8:16 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Possibly NJ? MA was one of them and someone mentioned it about one of the mid west states.
You need to look at the residency rules for your particular state if you are moving. If you intend to move to the UK permanently then it's usually easy to prove that you have changed your domicile and tax residency. It isn't hard to become non MA domiciled.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 9:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by nun
You need to look at the residency rules for your particular state if you are moving. If you intend to move to the UK permanently then it's usually easy to prove that you have changed your domicile and tax residency. It isn't hard to become non MA domiciled.
Yes, which is where returning your state drivers license comes in.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 5:19 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, which is where returning your state drivers license comes in.
Returning the driver's license cannot hurt, but there are lots of other things that would hold more weight when taken together. Moving home, closing bank accounts, starting a job in the UK. If I was to return to the UK I'd probably keep the DL and drive on it in the UK at least until I'd got a new UK license as my old green non-photo UK one in the little plastic pouch isn't valid anymore
Old Dec 17th 2015, 9:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Several states are of the opinion that you cannot leave for a foreign country as eventually you will return and you should pay for the upkeep and maintenance of the state during your "temporary" absence. It's a state-by-state kind of thing, but it's one of those things that bites a number of USC expats living overseas.

To combat this, you first need to check the details of your state and second, with an accountants advice, consider what steps are necessary to cut ties. Sending back a D/L, closing bank accounts, no longer voting, etc. As others have mentioned you might want to keep you D/L for just a bit to transfer to a drivers license in your new country, but I suspect eventually you'll want to return it as part of the cutting ties.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

I very appreciate your responses guys!

To clarify few things, my state is Nevada, which at least is known to be tax friendly when it comes to income taxes.

Believe it or not, I do currently possess valid UK driving license as well! So I don't need two surely. But If I gave it back and eventually returned to the U.S. I guess I would have to apply from scratch, pass tests and such.

But if I keep I will never cut the ties, right? I will also be liable for jury duty ... hm?
Old Dec 18th 2015, 7:04 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimmyLenny
Hello people,

let's say you lived in the US many years, got yourself US citizenship and now you are coming back to the UK or anywhere in Europe for good.

Just a few months ago I got a new US drivers license. What do I do with it now? Obviously the address won't be current anymore and I might get some jury duty, etc.

What did you do?
What other things did you do to sever ties?
Use it to get out of sticky situations. I would.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Use it to get out of sticky situations. I would.
what sticky situations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.